powdercoat vs anodize

zniper

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW patch - can you post a pic of the full bike again please? I just want to check it out again. Maybe I was trippin a bit... 

Which full bike? The Sukuma?

Patches, That is looking Sweet! (Sukuma and the sexually frustrated one)

Thanks Noli!

I'm very interested to see how your frame turns out :thumbup:

Yeah. Okay. the frame looks gorgeous by itself, but I think it's the mismatched nature of the parts that's doing it a dis-service. Reckon it'd look farr better with a black fork, black grips and bash and so on... 

Black fork yes... (but have you seen the price of a Pike :eek: )

But as for the rest... that photo doesn't do the colours justice. None really do, it has to be seen IRL. The orange grips, bash guard etc go quite well.

post-10758-0-93707900-1444381497_thumb.jpg

LOL. Remember your ORIGINAL sukuma "re-do"?

Yeah. THAT one. 

:)

But as for the current sukuma job - very good, but the colour combo (those turquoises with the orange) just don't do it for me. Maybe if it was a single turquoise, or a slighly different shade of orange, it would. But it just (for some reason) elicits a "meh" from me. 

Maybe it's the whole bike, when built, that makes me think of it like that, but yeah. I'm pretty sure that with the right colours on the full bike, it'd look pimp. 

Sorry dude.... I wish I could say otherwise, but... yeah. 

http://i.imgur.com/eB7rkAM.png

pffft, I ain't taking no colour advice from someone who's bike's colour scheme was based on a mucous identification chart!

http://blistergearreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/GiantRegin1Stock.jpg

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/system/images/W1siZiIsIkF0dGFjaG1lbnRzLzAwMDAvNTg1MS91cmluZV9jb2xvcnMucG5nIl1d/urine_colors.png

:P just messing with ya! :lol:

And yes, that Reign colour scheme does look better IRL.

It's a good thing everyone's tastes aren't alike. Would make the world a boring place, and then everyone would want a bike that looks like mine!

Yeah. Okay. the frame looks gorgeous by itself, but I think it's the mismatched nature of the parts that's doing it a dis-service. Reckon it'd look farr better with a black fork, black grips and bash and so on... 

dude, really?

Ok so the white fork is garish but nothing a black lower won't fix. Always loved that about the black carbon rear that could match the black fork lower - I wouldn't worry about the sliders.  The orange accents are totally spot on, it's matching the decals that can't be seen from the side..

dude, really?

Ok so the white fork is garish but nothing a black lower won't fix. Always loved that about the black carbon rear that could match the black fork lower - I wouldn't worry about the sliders.  The orange accents are totally spot on, it's matching the decals that can't be seen from the side..

Dude... personal opinion. Paint job is supreme, but for some reason it's just not grabbing me in my short n curlies. 

Stanchions - meh. Whatever. Never worried about that unless it was a super blacked out frame and stealth was your ultimate goal. Black lowers would be just fine...

As I said before - maybe I was smoking something, maybe I was just having a bad day. Maybe it's just the white lowers throwing the rest off... . But yeah... just something about it in its current form that's not gelling. Without having seen it in the flesh, that is.

Take Adam vd Ploeg's bike (mada3400) - in pictures, it looks HIDEOUS. Black and red frame, blue wheels, mismatched colours everywhere. In person - totally perfect. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

hahahahaha!

Ok gents... back on topic...  some anodising education (which I learnt the hard way)...

So I'd heard (and read) somewhere that vinyl doesn't stick to anodised surfaces, and that if one wants to band an anodised frame they have to have it laser etched.

This isn't entirely true.

Firstly, vinyl will stick to an anodised surface, but it depends on the texture of that surface. So smooth (whether matt or gloss finish)... fine. But rough (like the surface finish on Renthals), not so great.

BUT there is another method to brand an anodised frame. One can mask it.

So between anodising and dyeing steps, one can use the cut vinyl to mask off the desired design. Then during dyeing phase the colour will soak into all the pores except where it is masked. After that, the entire item is sealed (so that the porous anodised surface doesn't suck in any contaminants.

This whole process is quite tricky though. I tried it on the purple frame in question, but I contaminated the unsealed anodised surface during the masking process. Even a finger-print will show up. So I put on some nitrile gloves, washed them in isopropyl alcohol, and worked as carefully as possible. Unfortunately the glue from the vinyl application backing was sucked into the porous surface, so the dye looked smudged around the masked areas.

There is a way to counteract this... with a bleaching phase, but due to time and the lack of a giant tank of bleach... I opted to just have it redone, plane purple, and white decals will go on this weekend.

All in all, a very educational experience, and the guys at Astro are legends. The frame was prepped 3x, anodised and dyed twice... and not once did they complain about my experimental theories wasting their time, and they didn't add any cost for repeating the work. 

Edited by patches

post-10758-0-33849500-1443780896.jpg

post-10758-0-72518300-1443780904.jpg

post-10758-0-87137100-1443780921.jpg

post-10758-0-00312300-1443780936.jpg

post-10758-0-08548900-1443780945.jpg

Joh, people can change their opinion about things so much...so maybe I can too..  :ph34r:

Patch, I might not like you anymore, but I still like the colours of your Sukuma  :thumbup:

You have a eye for these things for sure...just not 100% sure I like the fact that you are thinking about putting white decals on the sexually frustrated frame - white is boring and 'cheap'...