Enduroman Franschhoek - 27 sep 2014

Shebeen

just relooked the route maps.

now i'm not sure if my memory is deceiving me**, but pretty sure the run went into hottentots-holland/berg river nek section, which is a really cool trail. it now is 3 laps of pretty bog standard flat road, not that exciting in my mind.

I'm guessing cape nature didn't bite (or priced them out). that's a pity in my mind.

**looks like my memory is maybe right, this description matches what i remember, and not what is seen now. needs to be updated.

aving completed two endurance legs already, athletes need to keep

something in the tank for the final loop based trail run.Heading into the mountains around the Berg River Dam this leg will cover jeep tracks and mountain roads over two laps totalling 21km.Maybe the most challenging of the three courses, the trail run will have the

legs and lungs shouting out as you head into the Hottentots Holland

mountains before heading back to the finish line to complete this epic

challenge

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having a really hard time entering this one, It has the potential to be a truly fantastic event, but it could also could be pretty ordinary. I think that the bike route looks pretty nice, it has some hills, forests and vineyard sections and a little bit of single track.

But Shebeen is right that run course looks boring and not a great way to finish what is billed as a tough event. There is so much fantastic running there (as taken in by the Bastille day trail runs) it is a shame to have just taken a soft option of three loops around a convenient farm.

I am also worried about an early spring cold front coming through, that could cause total havoc.

Where can one get a look at least years results/times?

You cant, this year is the first one

You cant, this year is the first one

My Bad, I thought the first one was last year.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really struggled with the training this winter and have really not done nearly enough but I have prepared myself for a very LOOOOONG day out.  :eek:

So, who else is joining me next weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

This one was proper hard!! Weather did not help much and made the day even harder! thumbs up to the organizers, well run event.

Think this will be my most expensive race...mud everywhere!! Almost pulled out just because of the financial impact of the end of the race, def new chain, fork service, full bike service, brake pads.

This was really tough...It was a very loooong day but with the amount of training I did i could not have expected anything less!

Also I am definitely not strong enough yet for my 1x10 set-up on the MTB and then to do a proper run afterwards!!

Still, Good hard race and will definitely be back next year with WAY more training!!! 

• 4 months later...

I am looking at doing some off road tri's in the second half of the year and this looks interesting. There isn't much info in terms of previous year's result etc . For those that did it last year: what is the cut of times, what was your time, how does the training compare to say ironman/70.3, how technical is the route? And any other relevant information will help.

I am looking at doing some off road tri's in the second half of the year and this looks interesting. There isn't much info in terms of previous year's result etc . For those that did it last year: what is the cut of times, what was your time, how does the training compare to say ironman/70.3, how technical is the route? And any other relevant information will help.

These were last year's cut-off times: We started at 8 so just work it out from there...

SWIM (2.5km)                      1:45 for 2.5Kms.... 

MOUNTAIN BIKE (80km)     All          17h00 (Based on an athlete averaging 11km/h on this leg)

TRAIL RUN                           All           20h30  (Based on an athlete averaging 9 min/km on this leg)

I was totally under prepared for this one... The swim was good but the MTB was a lot tougher than I expected. (I thought it was going to be like a K2C type terrain but it was more technical but nothing crazy... ). I did it with my  1x10 conversion and I was definitely not strong enough to do a good ride and then run afterwards. 

I have never done a 1/2 IM but I have done a few full IMs and this is really closer to a full IM than I a 1/2.... but that is just my opinion!

Hope this helps..

Its almost a month later than last year, which means warmer water and less chance of poor weather. That makes it a real possibility for me, last year the rain made things pretty harsh

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to give this a go and skip 70.3 Durban.

Its almost a month later than last year, which means warmer water and less chance of poor weather. That makes it a real possibility for me, last year the rain made things pretty harsh

i wouldn't bank on not getting rain....we often have big storms that late.

good to see this got off the ground.

Archived