What is the best 10x chain option?

Christie

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best 10 speed chain to fit at the moment.

• Sram 10x
    • Sram 10x hollow pin
    • Shimano XT
    • Shimano XTR
    • KMC 10x
    • KMC10x light
    • Other

Im not trying to stir, but I was wondering what dirty Hubbers ride with. I currently run an XT chain with my 9x SRAM setup.

Hollow pin looks and sounds nice.....on paper......doesn't sound nice unwinding itself from the drive train on a steep climb.

w.e. is the 10 speed equivelant of the sram 951..thats what id buy.. that light crap doesnt cut it when its rough and you put the power down...

cheaper chains are solid because they work ... :mellow: :thumbup:

^_^

I currently use a KMC chain. I have had no troubles with it, other than snapping a pin because I changed gears too fast when i was at a stand-still on a ihill and tried to pull away fast. replaced with a sram quick link, no problems. Oh and I have done many a mile on the chain, maybe over 3000km's and still going strong. Thinking of trying the xt chain next

My 5 rides old XT chain broke today while I was sprinting for a jump. OTB at 35km/h out of the saddle is not fun. It was on the opposite side to the join. I'm hoping it was just unlucky and that a quicklink will be all that's needed.

Weight wise the difference is minimal. Found that cheaper versions SRAM 1050 works just as well and last longer than 1090 etc

I currently use a KMC chain. I have had no troubles with it, other than snapping a pin because I changed gears too fast when i was at a stand-still on a ihill and tried to pull away fast. replaced with a sram quick link, no problems. Oh and I have done many a mile on the chain, maybe over 3000km's and still going strong. Thinking of trying the xt chain next

I have only heard good things about the KMC chains.

I ride mostly XT (& SLX)

Deca 101 chains at CWC, manufacterer claims 5000kms, rigirous testing from reviewers get 4000kms (MTB) I have one now, so will keep an eye on it

My 5 rides old XT chain broke today while I was sprinting for a jump. OTB at 35km/h out of the saddle is not fun. It was on the opposite side to the join. I'm hoping it was just unlucky and that a quicklink will be all that's needed.

As I said I ride mostly XT & haven't broken 1. Touch wood!

I hope in your case it doesn't happen again for a number of reasons.

For 1:

it'll completely destroy your confidence in the XT (shimano) chains

Are they good? (read: TOUGH)

I really cannot tell the difference between these and R400 chains. Plated, so they rust less than do similarly priced Shimano offerings.

I have not had a failure with these. Their quick link included. (But I don't use USN stuff, so am not really strong :ph34r: )

How long do they last? You ride them in the mud for 500km's and they are toast. (Aka 2012 Cape pioneer trek) My partner had a XT chain. He also discarded his after the race. Poegaai.

Epic 2013: wore out 1 chain. But my partner also had to dump his chain (XT) after the race.

Training mostly on road(mixed tar and unsurfaced) typically gives 4000-5000km's

Note that I have a very low tolerance for dumping used chains. I usually get 6 chain's life from a cassette)

I have also used them with 9 speed cassettes and 9 speed (Shimano, Truvativ and Blackspire) chainrings.

Are they good? Good enough.