Will Quintana become the greatest climber of all time?

longworn

We were debating at training yesterday on who was/could be the greatest cycling climber ever.Of course there was the Belgian Van Impe, the 'Eagle of Toledo' Fredico Bahamontes, Charly Gaul - I personally liked Marco Pantani because he kept the 'climber' in the TdF alive with the advent of power riders like Indurian (in fact I wrote a post on this http://decaironman-training.com/2014/02/14/highlights-of-2013-world-ironman-championship-kona-hawaii/).

But yes back to Quintana, at only 23 and has came 3rd in the TdF - alot of people said unexpected but I dont think that is fair - and is worshipped at home http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23709753. I think he is ranked 8th but could he bring the 'climber' back to win a grand tour in this age of Team Sky and efficient teams?

What do you think?

Too soon to tell... Lets hope he's not a shooting star. He does have massive potential. But we'll have to wait 2 or 3 seasons before we can start throwing such acolades... Imo

the pulled quintana from the tour. In movistar valverde is still the leader and they said quintana needs some leadership qualities. So he is going for the win in the giro and not competing in the tour and valverde is going for the tour.

He has the potential to be one of the best, but remember being great for one race is easy, being consistently great over years is what makes the exceptional, only time will tell.

Until someone spots Dr Ferrari leaving his hotel room.

Nah, think Quintana is more the dodgy steak kind of rider. Speaking of dodgy, he may have won the best young rider at the tour, but he looks like he's older than grandpa Horner.

hope he doesnt become another Rujano.......3rd in the Giro wearing the mountains jersey when he was 23.....and then nada.

side note, 2nd in the Tour de Langkawi behind Ryan Cox in 2005 ......man, SA has lost some talented young riders over the years........