My 26er is back..

Azza

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said it was a new trick.... Machinery suppliers started offering machines to retailers a few years ago so that they could do it themselves. It has become a bit out of hand nowadays though. That's is the point I was trying to make. You almost at 50/50 meat/brine...!!!

disgusting actually ..... and it is not like meat prices are cheap in anyway.

just don't buy frozen meat. no way the fresh stuff is injected with brine.

The brine content has to be indicated on the labels.

You'd be surprised.......

it would be easy to spot. if you start cooking it there would be a lot of water in the pot.

My brother in law's father used to farm chickens. They were labeled as free range. They all lived in a shed with no windows. The lights were on a timer. Each time the lights went off, they slept. Switch the lights on and they eat. Open the doors for a period of each day and they roamed outside for a while (free range) stick them back indoors and the cycle started again. They laid eggs like machines. They grew fast because the ate three to four times a day. Not battery chickens, but DAMN they tasted good on a braai!

Chicken breasts stuffed with fetta and tomato pesto wrapped in bacon..... :drool:

Yeah bro. I'm under no illusions as to the source of the meat, nor the conditions needed to label something as free range. Free range basically means a large building with access to the outside. At the least. Minimum requirement. Sometimes they don't even need access to the outside, as long as they're allowed to "range free" within the building...

But yeah. I like me some meat!!!

Most of the meat that you purchase nowadays has been injected with brine. You will notice a lot of liquid left behind after you cook your chicken/beef/lamb etc. Even boerewors. (Have a look next time you do a roast in the oven) This increases the raw selling weight but drastically reduces the cooked weight as most of the liquid evaporates.

SPUR won a case at ASA on this technical point......selling 200g (raw) ribs.....but once it is on the plate ready for consumption.....113g.....end-consumer getting weerligstraal in donkey rear.

The brine content has to be indicated on the labels.

Sometimes labelled as "self basting"

it would be easy to spot. if you start cooking it there would be a lot of water in the pot.

By then it's usually too late.

The idea behind the injecting (apart from the additional flavour and tenderising effects) is the fact that if you can get your weight up by 30% the cost of water and salt is WAY less than the cost of the meat so your profit just took one heck of a leap up!

Another way to look at the brining side of things is an added advantage when it comes to roasting anything or slow cooking it. Because they've already done that, and depending on the solution used, you only really need to do the final spicing and marinade the roast with dry spices rather than submerging it in a spiced brine for a day. Admittedly the spiced brine imparts more flavour into the meat, but nothing that can't be fixed by a solid dry rub

Sometimes labelled as "self basting"

By then it's usually too late.

The idea behind the injecting (apart from the additional flavour and tenderising effects) is the fact that if you can get your weight up by 30% the cost of water and salt is WAY less than the cost of the meat so your profit just took one heck of a leap up!

point is none of my meat has ever done that so I am pretty sure the stuff I am buying is brine free.

Took my 26er out on trails today and could not believe how well it handled, being so used to my 29er. I had so much more confidence on my 26er on the single track. The handling is superior !! And i found the ride so much more fun.

I dont think im going back on my 29er...

Maybe you smoked something :eek: