Argus route video + maps mashup

GaryvdM

I was feeling nervous about not knowing the Argus route, so I created this. Hopefully it's helpful to others who don't know the route.

http://garyvdm.co.za/route.html?Argus

post-41865-0-16845200-1393599332_thumb.png

The page shows a video of the route, created by stitching all the Google street view images along the route into one file. Next to, and below the video are a map, and an elevation chart. These both have markers on them to show you where along the route the video currently is.

You will need a browser that supports the html 5 video element. Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE 10+ etc.

There are lots of features and improvements I would like to make to this, but they will have to wait until some time after the race. The cool thing is I will be able to easily create videos like this for other races in the future.

Edit: full video now available.

Edited by GaryvdM

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ek het op youtube gaan soek vir videos omtrent die roete, maar jou weergawe is veel beter aangesien dit gelyktydig die "elevation" aantoon asook die spesifieke punt op die roete waar jy jouself op daardie stadium bevind. Baie dankie vir jou moeite. Dit is baie nuttig.

27.0.1 I tried chrome too, ran until top of hospital bend then plugin became unresponsive.

But the bit I saw looked great. Well Done.

I have a DVD made by Mr McClean (a few years old, pre Boyes drive days, but valid again) that shows whole route, broken up into the different segments, with lots of info and tips.

Used to watch it almost constantly for a few weeks prior to the big day, when I stayed upcountry. Now I just go out and check the route for myself (as I'll be doing tomorrow :whistling: )

Always good to have something like this to refresh / familiarise yourself with the route.

I was feeling nervous about not knowing the Argus route, so I created this. Hopefully it's helpful to others who don't know the route.

http://garyvdm.co.za/route.html?Argus

The page shows a video of the route, create by stitching all the Google street view images along the route into one file. Next to, and below the video are a map, and an elevation chart. These both have markers on them to show you where along the route the video currently is.

You will need a browser that supports the html 5 video element, and the webm/vp8 encoding. This means it won't work in IE or Safari. I recommend using Firefox or Chrome.

There are lots of features and improvements I would like to make to this, but they will have to wait until some time after the race. The cool thing is I will be able to easily create videos like this for other races in the future.

Edit: full video now available.

Nicely done.... That must've taken you a hell of a long time, getting goosebumps just watching the vid.... Thanx... :clap:

27.0.1 I tried chrome too, ran until top of hospital bend then plugin became unresponsive.

But the bit I saw looked great. Well Done.

There is a section leading up to hospital bend where there are no street view images. The video appears to freeze here, but it's probably still playing. On my todo list is to insert a frame which lets you know whats happening.

post-41865-0-95641200-1393570095_thumb.png