2 Cyclists & 1 Runner attacked in Tokai, Sunday 2 March 2014

kandui

This is what happened (and where) in Tokai on Sunday:

"Just to let you know .....&......(names known ) were robbed while cycling up to the mast on Saturday around 15h00 around the point where the Hoerikwaggo Trail crosses the tar road. A trail runner had been robbed shortly before that and tied up (he got free and appeared out of the bush as they were walking down – they had taken his shoes). Three young black guys armed with knives.

Both ok in the circumstances (I think). One lady's

finger was graunched as they tried to pull her rings off. Didn’t take the bikes on which they slashed the tyres. It seems they then headed off down the mountain back towards Hout Bay.

..... tells me the parks & police response was quick and supportive in the circumstances after a rider went on down to raise the alarm. Case has been opened at Hout Bay SAPS."

The incident didn't happen at the Arboretum as reported on Twitter.

Response was good , but we now know that the saddle on the way to the Mast is another potential crime hotspot.It's a remote location and can only be monitored by San Parks rangers on the ground.

Perps are walking up from Hout Bay, smelling easy prey.

I am posting this because the person who knows the victims has asked me to- raising awareness.

I feel this is something San Parks should have done right after the incident. But, unfortunately they prefer to keep things like this to themselves, unless pressed for info.

Edited by kandui

Yep stuff like this needs to be known about as accurately and as soon as possible. After reading the initial reports that filtered through I assumed it was the Arboretum.

Also shouldnt the Tokai committee be making people aware?

Also shouldn't the Tokai committee be making people aware?

I think that's definitely part of the new committee's mandate.

Getting this kind of info out of San Parks can be like getting blood from a stone. TokaiMtb and TMB have established good relationships with San Parks, but challenges still exist when it comes to dissemination of information.

I think that's definitely part of the new committee's mandate.

Getting this kind of info out of San Parks can be like getting blood from a stone. TokaiMtb and TMB have established good relationships with San Parks, but challenges still exist when it comes to dissemination of information.

Fair enough.

It does appear that heading out to the mast or bridal path on your own is a bit dodgy.

Noted - seems the crims are everywhere these days. Note to self - find that missing pepper spray canister and stick it on the camelbak.

TMNP could also do better on the security front - instead of wasting time and money fining people for swimming in the dam near Rhodes Mem.

I am also thinking of getting some protection for my alone rides. Where do I get pepper spray?

Noted - seems the crims are everywhere these days. Note to self - find that missing pepper spray canister and stick it on the camelbak.

TMNP could also do better on the security front - instead of wasting time and money fining people for swimming in the dam near Rhodes Mem.

This is what happened (and where) in Tokai on Sunday:

"Just to let you know .....&......(names known ) were robbed while cycling up to the mast on Saturday around 15h00 around the point where the Hoerikwaggo Trail crosses the tar road. A trail runner had been robbed shortly before that and tied up (he got free and appeared out of the bush as they were walking down – they had taken his shoes). Three young black guys armed with knives.

Both ok in the circumstances (I think). One lady's

finger was graunched as they tried to pull her rings off. Didn’t take the bikes on which they slashed the tyres. It seems they then headed off down the mountain back towards Hout Bay.

..... tells me the parks & police response was quick and supportive in the circumstances after a rider went on down to raise the alarm. Case has been opened at Hout Bay SAPS."

The incident didn't happen at the Arboretum as reported on Twitter.

Response was good , but we now know that the saddle on the way to the Mast is another potential crime hotspot.It's a remote location and can only be monitored by San Parks rangers on the ground.

Perps are walking up from Hout Bay, smelling easy prey.

I am posting this because the person who knows the victims has asked me to- raising awareness.

I feel this is something San Parks should have done right after the incident. But, unfortunately they prefer to keep things like this to themselves, unless pressed for info.

That's what I was afraid of. That's right near my house, if they went down Blue Valley Road/Bokkemanskloof.

If possible Watchcon in Hout Bay should be notified ASAP when these things happen. There are many people on radios, also would have alerted the Bokkemanskloof guards.

For future reference, if something happens in or near Hout Bay contact Watchcon at 021 790 9333

Coming back to incident in July when the two cyclists violently lost their bikes in the park, TMNP did respond quite well actually but not without the correct motivation from TokaiMTB, who by this stage had already tracked the perps all the way back to people who could ID them. It would almost seem TMNP want/need the involvement of the groups managing the MTB activity on the mountain - as you would know Rob from your experience in the North. TMNP are very helpful but only once you've provided clear directive and enough motivation.

I will find out what has transpired since the incident, taking the matter up with Hilton and the several groups who I involved in July. The incident rate cannot be left to spiral out of control before intervention happens!

Edited by Pain or shine

Interesting - I crossed that path running alone and I didn't encounter any other runners or cyclists on Saturday at about 12h00 or 12h30 running form Vlakkenberg to the Mast road and then down to Manganese Mines and Chapmans Peak.

If they had been in the vicinity and on their way up on the paths I would have probably encountered them on the path had they been coming up from either Chapman's Peak or from Vlakkenberg.

So likely they came from Blue Valley Road/ Bokkemans and went down the same way. The only other option as i see it is that they came up and down via Constantia or via Tierboskloof to the saddle, but highly unlikely.

Its really sad because 3 morons with knives is really not a fair fight.

So from a Sanparks perspective - they recommend I dont run/ ride Karbonkelberg, Sandy Bay/ Rocket Road and now probably Vlakkenberg/ Manganese Mines - not leaving me with much options around Hout Bay.