Body fat %

Those scales are pretty useless imo. I have a top of the range one at home, but the fat % differ a lot, depending on time of day, time since last meal, after a nap, etc etc. Besides that, in my case of 7.5hrs of excersise a week, it gets the fat % wrong by a big margin.

If you really want to confuse it do the following: skip two or more sessions on the white throne while simultaneously consuming 2L (or more) water. Also get on scale with wet feet (that is why there is a specific set of guidelines to be followed to increase the accuracy (and consistency) of measurement). Hard training session with no fluid intake over a long period of time will also give different values. BioImpedence is however nice for scanning a big group of people quickly.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This method has also been validated as a very reliable way to predict performance. When the distance between the origin (buckle) and hole for buckle pin decrease there is an inverse relationship to performance, specifically the component associated with an abrupt increase in geographical elevation over extended distances.

Well maybe.... :) I am lighter now than I was during my national service.... considerably.... but the pants size is up.... fortunately there is a medical explanation - age related polymorphism.... :) although that only explains why my pants have gotten bigger.... despite dropping 30kg.... which is explained better by changes in sports and training methods...

If you really want to confuse it do the following: skip two or more sessions on the white throne while simultaneously consuming 2L (or more) water. Also get on scale with wet feet (that is why there is a specific set of guidelines to be followed to increase the accuracy (and consistency) of measurement). Hard training session with no fluid intake over a long period of time will also give different values. BioImpedence is however nice for scanning a big group of people quickly.

And it still has the accuracy of a cattee compared to a target rifle... all the calculation methods are less than perfect to get to a percentage body fat (except possibly dissection, but lets exclude that as not very useful on living subjects) - better to look at the sum of skinfold measurements to see improvements - more mm = bad, less mm = good.

Tanita make body composition monitors, like suped up scales really. They're quite pricey though.

I have one of these.

A tanita BC1000.

It links with my Garmin 910xt.

I find it very inaccurate for body fat.

Measure can fluctuate up to 3% in 24 hours.

Well maybe.... :) I am lighter now than I was during my national service.... considerably.... but the pants size is up.... fortunately there is a medical explanation - age related polymorphism.... :) although that only explains why my pants have gotten bigger.... despite dropping 30kg.... which is explained better by changes in sports and training methods...

Just blame it on the genes.......and also the jeans (that shrunk in the wash). Another case of FTO involvement........Feed The Organism.

(send from cell - no humour/smiley face functionality - du-oh with FP)

My scale is also a Tanita. Some examples of weird results:

It always measuresmy skeletal mass as 3 to 3.3 kgs, regardless of time of day, food intake etc. Body composition analysis at the HPC at Tuks gives mine at 11.5 kg. So the scale measure is complete rubbish.

During a weight loss effort, I lost about 5 kgs - I could observe a substantial sliming down with the belt test. However, according to the scale, I lost less than 1% fat, and mostly muscle mass. According to the HPC, I lost 5-6% fat, almost no muscle mass.

I always follow the scale guidelines for good measurements strictly - I always measured on the same time of day, 2 - 3 hours after meal or drinking liquids, etc etc. It still measured junk.

Tanita scale was a waste of money imo.

Skin fold is about as accurate as you can get. don't stress too much on the accuracy to compare to others, but rather as a comparison to your last/ next measurement. Try use the same person each time.

What you hoping to get it to?

Mike

10 - 13 %

Tanita make body composition monitors, like suped up scales really. They're quite pricey though.

I bought one of these and it's readings are normally about 6-8% higher than calipers (scale always over 20%, calipers normally 13-15%).

I bought one of these and it's readings are normally about 6-8% higher than calipers (scale always over 20%, calipers normally 13-15%).

AWESOME NEWS!!!!

That means i have an actual fat of 13%.

Gonna go get calipred now to check.

I use this scale:

post-24697-0-16954000-1394453545_thumb.jpg

I am still at 35% sadly. :blush:

^_^

I assume that the chart above is specifically for women? otherwise I have been very ill informed on my fat %

All I take from this is that I am all in favour of a mandatory body fat percentage of 30% for women :lol:

I assume that the chart above is specifically for women? otherwise I have been very ill informed on my fat %

Absolutely nothing wrong with 35% then IMO, would be my choice out of the lot anyway.

Archived