GPS for MTB (hardware or app)

khm4252

I was wondering what is a good entry level GPS one could use for mountain biking?

I apologise if this is a stupid question but how does one get the data of the trails into the GPS for places like Howick that have GPS data?

Is there an app that one can buy/download that can do the same job as a standalone GPS for an iPhone?

Some GPS devices have limited battery life and storage capacity.....for the really long rides.

App on cell just keeps on going.....

There is no stupid Questions. Simple answeand though. ... ok app vs hw. I like the info when I ride. So unless I mount my phone on the bike I would need a ride computer. Thus my vote Hw (hardware)! I only started 2 years back but my first purchase was a GPS. I like info and the only thine keeping me going is the fact that I can measure myself and compare. Yes you appies I know the apps can do this, but I have a big phone and mounting is looks silly and if I fall it would be quite an expensive replacement.

So GPS please. But which one? It does not matter. I bought a bryton 35 and I am very happy, but garmin 500 is solid and currently I also use suunto. What screens then? I like to see speed, avg speed, distance, time, and cadence. Some like heart rate, but my HR is naturally high and thus it only makes me tired when I see it go up. Ok lots of useless info but I will gladly supply you all I went through buying one. If you want more info ask!

But get a gps, you won't be disappointed.

@Seatpostsa

There is no stupid Questions. Simple answeand though. ... ok app vs hw. I like the info when I ride. So unless I mount my phone on the bike I would need a ride computer. Thus my vote Hw (hardware)! I only started 2 years back but my first purchase was a GPS. I like info and the only thine keeping me going is the fact that I can measure myself and compare. Yes you appies I know the apps can do this, but I have a big phone and mounting is looks silly and if I fall it would be quite an expensive replacement.

So GPS please. But which one? It does not matter. I bought a bryton 35 and I am very happy, but garmin 500 is solid and currently I also use suunto. What screens then? I like to see speed, avg speed, distance, time, and cadence. Some like heart rate, but my HR is naturally high and thus it only makes me tired when I see it go up. Ok lots of useless info but I will gladly supply you all I went through buying one. If you want more info ask!

But get a gps, you won't be disappointed.

@Seatpostsa

Run Strava on your smart phone for at least a year before deciding.

I almost went and bought the cheep Garmin, and glad that I didn't. It doesn't have enough or much more info than Strava.

After a year, you'll know which one you want, cause you would have read 10 more threads like this.

I'm using my phone GPS with Endomondo to record the route (hidden in my pocket), Suunto HRM and basic cycle computer (speed and distance). Having all three devices is kind of irritating, but at least I have all the relevant information while riding handy (distance, time, average speed, heart rate and average heart rate - GPS is mostly used afterwards for measuring total ascend/descend and how fast/slow certain regular segments was via uploading to Strava).

This is a lot of admin (silly me...) but its a fairly cheap setup. Problem with this setup is that any additional information (cadence, trip Ascend/descend etc.) will get very expensive. And analyzing the information afterwards is kind of impossible (cannot see my Heart rate graphed with the elevation etc.)

What I would love to have is a Suunto Ambit which can roll everything into one device regardless of what activity I'm doing (and give me some more information than what I now have available), but its very expensive (~R4800 for the Ambit 2S without HR). A Bryton Ryder 40 on the other hand is not that expensive (with HR and Speed/Cadence for as little as R2700), I'm very tempted to get one of these but then I can't use the device for doing activities other than cycling (making the Ambit 2S that much more attractive).

Like Maximum says, use Strava (or other app on your phone) and save up to get the best single device for yourself, you will not regret it!

Note that the New Samsung Phones are Ant+ compatible (Galaxy S4 and up), so chances are you can use a heart rate strap with it that you should be able to use with another device later on as well (Like the Ambit 2S or Garmin Devices). You can also put your phone in a top tube bag like the Birzman Navigator III that will allow you to see some real time stats if/when needed (think having the phones screen on bright all the time will kill the battery quickly).

Although apps like strava and endomondo can do most of the stuff a dedicated GPS can do, I have found that with iOS 7 I cannot track rides longer than 4 hours because my phone battery runs out. Turning off cellular data helps, but no a lot.

I really don't want to be stuck in an emergency situation with less than 10% battery on my phone.

So I am actually considering getting a dedicated gps. I am looking at the Garmin etrex 20 or 30. Nice features, low weight and great battery lofe.

Although apps like strava and endomondo can do most of the stuff a dedicated GPS can do, I have found that with iOS 7 I cannot track rides longer than 4 hours because my phone battery runs out. Turning off cellular data helps, but no a lot.

I really don't want to be stuck in an emergency situation with less than 10% battery on my phone.

So I am actually considering getting a dedicated gps. I am looking at the Garmin etrex 20 or 30. Nice features, low weight and great battery lofe.

I use a Garmin Edge 500 when I know the trails, and just want to log the ride.

If I want to navigate on unknown trails I use a Garmin eTrex 10.

It works perfectly, and the claimed battery life is 25 Hours. Uses AA batteries.

Edit: handlebar mount is available

Edited by nickcza

I was wondering the same thing now. Can i download an offline GPS for my S3? Ive got mounts and waterproof casing. I purchased CoPilot for when im in the car and is way better then Tom Tom. Will be nice to have something that tracks my MTB rides.

One benefit of using a Smartphone is that your info is uploaded immediately to the web.

The newish Garmin Edge 510 can pair with your phone to do this. However, it's not cheap :mellow:

Smartphone is cheapest option if you have one already, I just don't feel comfortable relying on one considering battery life.

I carry my ride phone with, since you normally eat S H I T on a MTB i got myself a 5210.

indestructible!!!

I was wondering the same thing now. Can i download an offline GPS for my S3? Ive got mounts and waterproof casing. I purchased CoPilot for when im in the car and is way better then Tom Tom. Will be nice to have something that tracks my MTB rides.

What part do you want offline? Maps, satellite images, or just the logging?

What part do you want offline? Maps, satellite images, or just the logging?

i Rode Holla in dec. I was supposed to do 30km. ended up doing 47km coz i gotlost and they do give route coordinates.

To the point, i would like to have something that tracks my route as i ride then i can checkit afterwards.