Wilro Cycle Challenge

Cheese

No

That was my hearsay understanding of the CSA rules. Now that you queried what I said, I decided to actually go read the rules.

The following is quoted from this document: www.cyclingsa.com/App_Resources/Uploads/FILE00003111.pdf CYCLING SOUTH AFRICA RULES AND REGULATIONS Part 3: Road Cycling. In this matter, there are different rules for different categories of race:

This seems a bit inconsistent to me. Why would one need a racing licence for provincial classics, and regional events, but not for National Classics. It's maybe worth clarifying this with CSA.

Anyway, according to the CSA event calendar, Wilro is a grade C event, and so following the `letter of the law`, a racing license is required. Whether this is actually followed in practice, I don't know. I've never raced in vets (my goal for this year is to get quick enough to race VA next year.)

Thanks for The Effort, I also a bit confused.

I did 94.7, OFM , Argus ,& Jacaranda Classic in VB last year without having a licence.

Anyway If you want to race VA make sure you are fit enough for the surges in speed and especially work on the hills as this is where the guys normall accelarate. Have seen cases in races wher we actually go faster on the hills than the flatter parts as the guys try to get rid of People and not riding for time.

As this will be my first race will probably do open seeding and try to work on the front as much as possible to just get the legs stronger .

Good Luck.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for The Effort, I also a bit confused.

I did 94.7, OFM , Argus ,& Jacaranda Classic in VB last year without having a licence.

Anyway If you want to race VA make sure you are fit enough for the surges in speed and especially work on the hills as this is where the guys normall accelarate. Have seen cases in races wher we actually go faster on the hills than the flatter parts as the guys try to get rid of People and not riding for time.

As this will be my first race will probably do open seeding and try to work on the front as much as possible to just get the legs stronger .

Good Luck.

There are long stretches where you can work your lungs out if you like. Last year we were a six man breakaway for 40km. I didnt even care to sprint on the raceway - legs were roasted.

Did this last year, really enjoyed it. Attached is a copy of the route map and profile, my Garmin recorded an elevation gain of just over 700m. The drop down Hekpoort is quite hectic, especially for the earlier starters as they decend into the mist.

Practice your bunny hops lads, the rumble strips at the bottom of Hekpoort will remove your fillings!

post-39984-0-54225000-1394652648_thumb.png

post-39984-0-24399800-1394652623_thumb.png

Edited by Brogue

Hi Gary, I tried the link.........does not work. Am I missing something?

What browser are you using? I know it does not work in IE versions older than 10. Try using Firefox.

hmmm not sure if i will be doing the race this year....... bit risky 1 week before my tour down to Durban

Entered the Race last night. Today Feeling I might be getting sick.

Hope this is not the case.

Would like to kick next chapter of my life with this race.(moving to Gauteng)

entered minutes before the entry closed, was a fast race last year. C group came in at 3:06 I think

See the race was quite small last year. Groups AL, BL around 50 riders each?

Also saw this, Will see where I will be seeded as I guess I will have to get that full license to join the vets again so would not want my seeding index to fall as I am not joining the vets for this one.Will be hoping for sub 3 then as I see last year winning time in region of 2h40 min.

See the race was quite small last year. Groups AL, BL around 50 riders each?

It was very late in april last year

and on the morning it was freezing, thing alot of riders pulled out because of the weather. i remember my sunglasses frosting up after 5 km