Aspirin Before Argus

I just got back from Argus and have been mulling........

I had a bad neck injury 15 years ago and occasionally get headaches from the back of my neck into my head (often if I sit at a table, head back). Nothing other than posture related and they very seldom occur.

Two nights before Argus I took 2 Extra Strength Disprins and again the night before......due to such headaches.

Reason for my post is that (even considering the wind), I rode a shitty Argus when I compare to my training rides, especially climbing............I am a big guy but have ridden any climb out at the Cradle on (Roadbike) 53 chainring front and around 24 on the rear, and can repeatedly do this, yet in the Argus I was soon reaching for my 39T front and 2nd at the back, (25T)..........I just felt on the back foot the entire day and was hoping someone could shed some light............the next day I felt I could have ridden better than on the day, despite slightly sore thighs.....

Anyone?

Edited by lovestocycle

Thanks guys, I dunno............I rode 130km in the Cradle 4 weeks ago but in my last 2km could still climb from Lions side up to Kloofzicht on big chainring yet on Sunday I def. had an off day...........

Edited by lovestocycle

Could be many factors, did you fly there, i noticed flying close to a tog ride affects me

I drove down Thursday.................Off day could be it as had achy legs 2 days before.you know the urge to keep putting feet on table..............and I was helluva well rested, almost too much rest.wondering about the Aspirin.........

Well ...I know some peeps take aspirin to thin the blood...if this happens ...I would guess less oxygen to the muscles.... :blink:

Aspirin is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) with its primary effect being analgesia. It is highly unlikely it had any effect on your performance in the dose you took.

I think it is an off day, it happens. there are days I slept well, had a good breakfast, feel good just to have a shitty ride. then there are days that i slept badly, poor breakfast, feel exhausted, sleepy, Sunday were one of those days for me. then add the fact that I was getting cold in the holding areas and my nose started running. Then the saturday before I had to go twice around the kiddies tryicyle tour with my two boys and my muscles were stiff of running (I can't run, don't run, have respect for runners). So when the gun went off in Group X I rode damn well to finish with a time of 3:37. Felt good! but then there there are other days it just don't work out.

I started coming to down with mild flu on the Saturday before the Argus this year and dosed up on Corenza C the entire day (5 tablets in total), which has Aspirin. Did my best time yet.... 2.54 out of C group. Don't think it has any affect on performance. Possibly the opposite...

It is natural to try and find some sort of explanation to why you had an off day. A big factor is the start line fatigue. You were up early, stood in the chute for over 2 hours, probably did not drink while you were waiting. It was cold on the morning and your heart rate was probably at 65% for the whole time with hearing "everybody_say_hoopla!!!" every 2 minutes.

By the time time you started you would have been almost half way through your training ride at the cradle. Next year take a black bag to keep you warm, an extra 1 lt water bottle that you can dump at the start and a sarmie to much in the chute. And go for a pee just before you load up from the chute.

2 Disprin are standard at Argus for me as I ALWAYS drink too much of that bloody wine the night before.

I started coming to down with mild flu on the Saturday before the Argus this year and dosed up on Corenza C the entire day (5 tablets in total), which has Aspirin. Did my best time yet.... 2.54 out of C group. Don't think it has any affect on performance. Possibly the opposite...

All the Ephedrine in the Corenza C's :-)

What was ur time? Worth comparing to past performances, and ur group performance. Keep in mind that you start very fast and hard... this can cause lactic acid buildup.

All the Ephedrine in the Corenza C's :-)

If i knew that i would of taken on the day... Jokes...

Had quite a fun Argus this time around, lol... did a whopping 5 hrs 40...:) morning didn't start well when i missed my start time....so started with the International Group in KK... and let me tell you it was interesting.. was off my bike whilst i waited for people to get back on theirs on Edinborough Drive ( not sure i spelled that right! ) had my handles bars knocked when pushed aside ... by some mad man going up SmitWinkel.. where is about the stage I started getting hungry, missed the feedstation near Red Hill.. so at the bottom of Chappies i went looking for food / and drink but the Red Herring was closed :( so I climbed Chappies.... and ended up at the E-Vida in Hout Bay for coffee... took a power nap on the couch before tackling the last stretch.... which actually went quite well!.