Assessing A Post Crash Carbon Frame

Wez-O

Hey Guys,

So to cut a long story short (and as discussed in the Argus 2014 thread), I had a big accident at the Argus, hitting a pavement on the Chapmans Peak decent at 50km/h then taking a tour down the hill side.

So thankfully my bike is insured and I've already informed my insurance firm of the impending claim. So the front wheel is badly damaged and potentially the gears and hood/shifters.

However the question is, surely such an impact could have done some serious damage to my carbon frame and particularly the forks but how would one know the extent of such damage if this is the case?

I don't have the bike back yet, so haven't fully inspected it, but I've heard that even if you don't see cracks on the surface of the frame, there may still be damage?

Thanks

Wez-O

After being hit by a car end of last year I asked Cyclelab do to a damage report on the bike (not carbon) for insurance - I explained what had happened and obviously left the bike with them for a couple of days after which I collected it and a two page damage report detailing everything that needed to be replaced, serviced, etc. I'm sure any of the bigger LBS can do this - in my case Cyclelab was just the closest. I would think that they would rather err on the side of caution should there be any possible structural damage to your frame and forks and would reflect this in the report.

After being hit by a car end of last year I asked Cyclelab do to a damage report on the bike (not carbon) for insurance - I explained what had happened and obviously left the bike with them for a couple of days after which I collected it and a two page damage report detailing everything that needed to be replaced, serviced, etc. I'm sure any of the bigger LBS can do this - in my case Cyclelab was just the closest. I would think that they would rather err on the side of caution should there be any possible structural damage to your frame and forks and would reflect this in the report.

Thanks Tractor, yeah I'll do that.

I've been down this road before..............the insurance company will want a damage report from a bike shop.

I'm pretty sure that the frame will be written off as you cannot trust a carbon frame after such a big impact.

My understanding was that XR is the gold standard. I think nobody does it comercially (aviation does it all the time). I am very sceptic about these things. I pushed hard to have my carbon parts replace (MTB). I had to meet the insurer halfway - decided not to claim for "cosmetic" damage.

Hey Guys,

So to cut a long story short (and as discussed in the Argus 2014 thread), I had a big accident at the Argus, hitting a pavement on the Chapmans Peak decent at 50km/h then taking a tour down the hill side.

So thankfully my bike is insured and I've already informed my insurance firm of the impending claim. So the front wheel is badly damaged and potentially the gears and hood/shifters.

However the question is, surely such an impact could have done some serious damage to my carbon frame and particularly the forks but how would one know the extent of such damage if this is the case?

I don't have the bike back yet, so haven't fully inspected it, but I've heard that even if you don't see cracks on the surface of the frame, there may still be damage?

Thanks

Wez-O

If the frame is written off and the damage isn't too bad maybe a single speed project in the making....

How do you look after the crash?

You went down just in front of me, in one of those sharp turns.

Yip that was me... pity you didn't have a GoPro :)

If the frame is written off and the damage isn't too bad maybe a single speed project in the making....

How do you look after the crash?

Yeah thats always an option hey... A nice Cannondale SS! ha.

I'm bruised and grazed from head to toe with some quality whiplash but thankfully no serious injuries. Definitely a lucky boy.

I'm bruised and grazed from head to toe with some quality whiplash but thankfully no serious injuries. Definitely a lucky boy.

It helps if you fall 5m from the medics :D

Anytime you can walk away it's something to be grateful for.

My carbon frame has been repaired on the chainstay and holds up well and thats a MTB so I'm sure you could repair any damage, but if you're insured then no need to take that risk.

Always nice getting a new bike

I would actually try and get it written off.

Cycling is all about confidence and if you arent 100% sure your frame and fork are perfect, you will never give it everything which is really dangerous and nerve wracking.

Really glad you're ok. I saw 3 accidents on my descent of chappies and all of them looked like broken collar bones or separated scapulas. One lady was just sitting in the middle of the road on her bum bolt upright clutching her arm to her chest. Not cool.

But yeah, x-ray and also the frequency test... If the carbon is undamaged it will resonate with an even frequency of it is pinged. If there is a break in the weave the frequency will be disturbed and you will hear (with the use of a stethoscope) where the sound alters.

good luck

My take as a layman in these things is that there are two types of impact to consider, one is the sharp focussed hit, which causes a clear crack or break. The other the the more dispersed force created by a high speed crash, which could cause no visible damage but a weakening of the frame by creating micro fractures in the bonding agent. Quite frankly I would not have full confidence in the frame.

Flog it on the hub as "hardly been ridden" and "under 500 km's on it"

The last bit was in jest BTW

Ingenious, but rather extreme, way of getting a new bike. :whistling:

The principle of indemnity replies, your insurer has a duty to place you in the same position you were before you bought property on Chappies.

If they can't satisfactorily address your very reasonable latent damage concerns, considering the circumstances and speed you went down, they must replace it (if your sum insured is adequate) or just pay you the amount equivalent to what they would be able to source a new frame for.