Inaccurate Strava elevation

Dots

I did 20km tonight. Garmin 34m gain. Strava 286m. About 98% of it was perfectly flat at sea level. I know this because I was riding next to the sea on the springtide low water beach. Strava is trying to make us feel better about our rides???

Ja hey, Strava is odd. What makes it worse is that I plotted a route with their route builder and it indicated an estimated elevation gain of 1600m, then rode that route, other apps and GPS devices with altimeters indicated 1530m, but Strava showed 3000m. Why if the route planned on their site has the right info...???

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'd love to know is if its a data capture problem - does Strava capture data poorly, resulting in inaccurate results. Or does it take good data and do bad calculations on it?

What I'd love to know is if its a data capture problem - does Strava capture data poorly, resulting in inaccurate results. Or does it take good data and do bad calculations on it?

Ja me too.. Sometimes they get it right though, like spot on. Weird!

I really hope Runtastic add an option like Strava has for PR's and segment comparison. It is IMHO the better app.

I capture in Endpmondo, then tapiriik sends the data from there to Strava and Runkeeper. Interesting, although it is a single set of data, all 3 apps produce different results from it.

I have a Garmin Edge 810.  As a general rule I've noticed that on rides with a lot of longish hills the Strava elevation reading is about double the Garmin reading.  Oddly enough, I've also noticed that on rides that are flat with small undulations, the Garmin is higher than Strava on elevation (I often ride with both the Garmin and Strava iphone app on to compare)....I gave up trying to figure it out!

I'm going to find some software that accurately calculates elevation from a gpx file, and compare to what these apps give from the same gpx file

I'm going to find some software that accurately calculates elevation from a gpx file, and compare to what these apps give from the same gpx file

I'd be interested to know the result....especially if you pull the gpx file from strava as well and add it to the comparison.  

I'd be interested to know the result....especially if you pull the gpx file from strava as well and add it to the comparison.

Anybody in the northern suburbs of ct? Would love to get an accurate file from a proper GPS to compare with...

Strava uses an elevation database to calculate ride elevation gain if there isnt a barometric sensor in your recording device. It is not as accurate as a barometric altimeter.

Here are 3 strava rides, home to work over rhodes/table mountain. The first I clicked "elevation correction", which took the elevation from 450m to 555m (so gps data). Second (451m) is strava reading the elevation data from the garmin baro, third is also garmin baro (381m).

Edit: i removed the links to strava, pm if you want.

Golden Cheetah calculates as follows from the garmin fit files:

1st 395m

2nd 367m

3rd 344m

I can draw no conclusions from this as to which values are more correct.

After some more rides/tests and therefore a greater set of data to work with it seams Strava is more inaccurate with road rides than off road, the three apps are pretty much on par when riding trails... The testing continues...

• 1 month later...

So i got my brand new Garmin device and decided to test it to Strava... i did 977m elevation on Garmin and on strava it showed 1078. About 100m out between the two...crazy!

I went to different websites and most of them was around 975 so i take it strava is out a bit.

My guess at to why this is, is not necessarily the accuracy of the altitude data captured - but how do you calculate 1m ascent? It's not at simple as saying "I was at 201m, now I am at 202m, I have climbed 1m' - for example, if I rode 10km, and I went over 1,000 speed bumps, each 10cm high.... would I have climbed 100m? Strictly speaking yes, but no GPS would ever claim so. 

So I would like to know, is there a commonly accepted formula/calculation method as to how ascent is calculated? If not, 2 apps could take perfectly accurate position data, and come out with radically different results - in my [ridiculous] example above - one app could claim 0m ascent, and another could claim 100m ascent, and they'd both be perfectly right.

Archived