Stumpjumper FSR vs PYGA oneten

Dawels

If availability is an issue with Spec and Pyga, why not look at a Scott Genius? For R40k you'll be in Genius 920 or even 910 territory if you shop around.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I got when I bought my stumpy - dropper and a tubeless conversion. You need to negotiate harder :)

Damn Tigger! Not bad!

Where's the best place to look for decent shoes for flat pedals and a decent helmet etc etc?

I agree on them not giving a dropper post for free, but will try my luck now that Im off for a week!

Where's the best place to look for decent shoes for flat pedals and a decent helmet etc etc?

I agree on them not giving a dropper post for free, but will try my luck now that Im off for a week!

If you're looking for flat pedals then maybe the new stumpy 650b is for you,

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/specialized-unveils-650b-stumpjumper-fsr-evo-models-40563/

will have to ask BMT when they will arrive

Phone bridge cycles and Olympic cycles, and ask for a 2013 model carbon stumpjumper. for now dont worry about a dropper post. You should get in under R 30 k for a carbon model. My 2c

Phone bridge cycles and Olympic cycles, and ask for a 2013 model carbon stumpjumper. for now dont worry about a dropper post. You should get in under R 30 k for a carbon model. My 2c

I tried and i preferred the responses I got from the guys at revolution cycles. Reckoned 29er alu stumpy for my price limit which is 35k at the moment.

I want to end up jumping some decent jumps, drop offs etc etc. Baggy shorts flat pedals and a decene helmet is whats appealing to me.

Why 650? Everyone Ive chatted to has said 29er. The 650 must have more travel then?

Another worry Ive always had is the fact that alu is always more reliable?

If you buy new you will have a warranty. Carbon will be lighter, much lighter, and much stiffer on the Spaz range of bikes. I know, I own 3 of them. Ultimately your choice. I was a Alu fan until I got the carbon. Game changer.

I tried and i preferred the responses I got from the guys at revolution cycles. Reckoned 29er alu stumpy for my price limit which is 35k at the moment.

I want to end up jumping some decent jumps, drop offs etc etc. Baggy shorts flat pedals and a decene helmet is whats appealing to me.

Why 650? Everyone Ive chatted to has said 29er. The 650 must have more travel then?

Most Lbs say 29er because that's what's largely avail and "sells" , 650 is a nice in between size esp for the kind of riding you planning on doing. But at the end of the day it's how you ride with what you get that will make the difference. I'd vote for 650 but seeing you are buying new get a test ride on both options and choose what feels good to you.

Edited by Skylark

I think you gonna struggle a bit getting 29 wheels off the ground, i did a short test ride on the Spez Enduro 29, awesome bike but wheels wanna stay down on the ground, you'll get more lift and air on smaller wheels as well as less flex on the rims. Thats why i baught a 650b after i tested the Enduro.

I think you gonna struggle a bit getting 29 wheels off the ground, i did a short test ride on the Spez Enduro 29, awesome bike but wheels wanna stay down on the ground, you'll get more lift and air on smaller wheels as well as less flex on the rims. Thats why i baught a 650b after i tested the Enduro.

true to a point - but only 'cos you need to adjust your riding style to suit the different characteristics. It all comes down to the geometry at the end of the day - MANY niner riders are able to get their wheels off the ground. Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to, but just as much as it would if you were moving from a bmx to an MTB, for example. Simple mechanics & physics,..

true to a point - but only 'cos you need to adjust your riding style to suit the different characteristics. It all comes down to the geometry at the end of the day - MANY niner riders are able to get their wheels off the ground. Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to, but just as much as it would if you were moving from a bmx to an MTB, for example. Simple mechanics & physics,..

I only took for a short test run & I didn't have time to adjust my riding style so my comment may be a bit biased.

In terms of ease of starting to jump, air height and distance, flex of larger wheels, could the niners really compete in the category the OP mentioned he wants the bike for?

Not putting the 29er down, but i don't feel its suited for the type of riding mentioned. It can't be argued that the 9's are doing exceptional things in the marathon/xc events but on more aggressive stuff its not really doing so well.

As skylark said, test ride all long travel wheel size bikes on some nice tech trails and get what feels best.

So some bad news guys,

Stumpjumper FSR comp sold out. So basically spend 38k on a carbon stumpjumper or wait a couple of months for a PYGA which Im not too keen on anymore.

Any thoughts on other trail/enduro bikes to compare to the alu stumpjumper at 27k? Would look at the Rocky Altitude but it only comes in a 650b.

.......................fml

So some bad news guys,

Stumpjumper FSR comp sold out. So basically spend 38k on a carbon stumpjumper or wait a couple of months for a PYGA which Im not too keen on anymore.

Any thoughts on other trail/enduro bikes to compare to the alu stumpjumper at 27k? Would look at the Rocky Altitude but it only comes in a 650b.

.......................fml

I have never been able to find the specialized item I want when visiting the store .Shop elsewhere