Stumpjumper FSR vs PYGA oneten

Dawels

Ironically, if you want to be a bit more exclusive, buy the Stumpjumper. At the last fee Enduro's I was one of two Stumpies amongst a sea of Pyga ;b

Seriously though, you can't judge the bike by how others have done on it. Mark Hopkins would top 5 on a wheelbarrow.

That said, those results do probably prove what a Pyga can do with a good pilot and it will obviously never limit your riding. A very important factor.

But I seriously think the same can be said about the Stumpy.

Both great bikes. You'll be happy either way.

And to all the Spaz haters, you also probably hate Nike, BMW, Castle, and Apple. Damn those companies who made billions off a product that was crap but somehow became market leaders in their fields. Must be marketing shenanigans...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't knock the 650b boat just because you are tall. For the riding you plan to do a smaller wheelsize will probably feel bettter.

The pyga has been kicking ass in downhill races and enduro races lately, with the 140mm forks obviously. don't let the smaller travel fool you. a well sorted suspension design is better than a poor, but longer travel design. IMO the Pyga suspension is better. Don't let the spez marketing spend fool you. But you'd have to have ridden both bikes to understand.

Pyga don't manufacture the same volumes that spaz do in Taiwan, and giant etc for that matter. That is why a Ali pyga cost "carbon money." economies of scale.

Go ride both bikes, make an informed decision that has been bolstered with your own experience. People on a forum can only tell you what they themselves know or have read somewhere. We don't know everything, no matter how strong some people's opinions are.

Well put.

Dawels. I will say one thing. When you ready to test ride a Specialized bike. You are more than welcome to contact and will arrange for you to go ride one. If there is no stock in WC they will source one from a dealer and if no stock in the country, im sure you will understand that all brands have a forecast and when its sold out, it takes a bit of time to get more stock.

Riding a bike should be the deciding factor. You should first have fun on your bike and fit properly before thinking about the budget. It may sound weird, but a very expensive bike that is not the correct bike for you to ride may take away from your riding experience.

Whichever way you go. have fun on the trails

Both great bikes. You'll be happy either way.

And to all the Spaz haters, you also probably hate Nike, BMW, Castle, and Apple. Damn those companies who made billions off a product that was crap but somehow became market leaders in their fields. Must be marketing shenanigans...

Agreed. I may have come across as disliking Specialized, but I don't. They make really good bikes (my brother rides a 26" carbon Stumpy with a Pike, it's a brilliant machine), but my point was really just that they're not the only ones who make really good bikes. I've owned and/or ridden bikes from the stables of:

- Nishiki (Alien)

- BlueGrass (LeisureLine)

- Diamondback (Topanga, Ascent, Apex)

- Commencal (Meta 5.5)

- Wheeler (7900ZX)

- Giant (ATX990, XTC, Glory, Reign)

- Cannondale (CAAD3 HT, Super V DH)

- Intense (5.5, M3, Uzzi, Tracer)

- Kona (Fire Mountain, Lava Dome)

- Scott (Scale)

- Specialized (Stumpy FSR carbon)

- Pyga (current OneTen29)

Out of all these bikes, two stand out specifically:

- Intense 5.5 - it's a ruthlessly accurate machine, albeit with too much VPP bobbing happiness.

- Pyga OneTen29 - the most well-balanced and all-round capable of the lot. It can climb like an XC bike, and descend with almost as much gusto as an AM bike.

The above having been said, several other bikes I've ridden have been very good. Each has its own "something special". Being blinded into thinking only one manufacturer makes great bikes (like some of the posters here) is just plain stupid.

BTW, I drive a BMW and have several Apple devices, as you know ;)

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Why would you go from a R85000 bike with premium components to a R40000 bike. Camber has carbon rims, frame, handlebars etc etc, weight is much much less. How can it feel pedestrian. Seriously.

Bro lets keep to the topic. Thanx

How so. If you fit both with the same groupset. How can there be a difference. Both can be bought as a frame only and specced to your level.

You have a lot so say but mostly just noise.

Spez frames are specced with Spez specific parts, ie bearings/bushings etc not avail at bearing man or replaceable with generic parts. And lord help you if you have Spez branded/modified suspension because then the services/repairs and wait will be through the roof.

I'd say if you want a sled that is known to run world class and is easy to maintain then go Pyga, stick on a nice Rockshox fork(super easy to service) and whatever shock suits your fancy at the back and go bomb trails. Spez bikes no doubt are good but pricey and often finicky to repair, oe's that have cash to burn and drop their bikes off at the lbs for a bike wash on Mondays generally like buying them.

;)

Edited by Skylark

I was looking at the Spez Stumpy and the Pyga. 110 . I rode both of them and when i left the shop i became the proud owner of a Spez Camber CArbon Comp. It just felt perfect. I got it for R38k. It climbs brilliantly and i added a dropper post and now i descend like evil kneivel on roids. Its a brilliant do it all bike.

I was looking at the Spez Stumpy and the Pyga. 110 . I rode both of them and when i left the shop i became the proud owner of a Spez Camber CArbon Comp. It just felt perfect. I got it for R38k. It climbs brilliantly and i added a dropper post and now i descend like evil kneivel on roids. Its a brilliant do it all bike.

Congrats and enjoy the bike!

Just a comment

I know Mark Hopkins, we'll just call him a wonder kid... hehehe, not a kid, but ye he can do magic with a bike,

All I tried to indicate is the PYGA is capable of allot more of just stage racing, It DOES stage racing good, ask Ryanpmb, he and friends have done Sani2C on it, and then as Mark has shown, pick a downhill and with enough skill it will tear it up.

It's a ride with allot of talents, only limited by us, the joe soap riding it.

G

Why would you go from a R85000 bike with premium components to a R40000 bike. Camber has carbon rims, frame, handlebars etc etc, weight is much much less. How can it feel pedestrian. Seriously.

Isn't the camber like a budget stumpy or has less travel. I could be wrong. :blush:

Edited by YUMEYA

Isn't the camber like a budget stumpy or has less travel. I could be wrong. :blush:

Camber sits inbetween the Epic and the Stumpjumper fsr. 110mm of travel. Yes you are correct, it is a bit cheaper than the Stumpjumper. Very versatile bike. I use mine for xc racing.