[Event] MTN National MTB Series #4 Clarens Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

ps... first batch of seeding mails out for the marathon.

We are running the batches small and well spaced. So please don't fret if you are not in your usual batch as they are 80 in a batch and not 150ish like usual.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is sunrise earlier up there? i got up at 7 this am and it was barely light. just wondering why its such an early start if sunrise isn't earlier?

What a tough ride, dragged my a$$ over the line in 5:15 not too shab given my lack of training. But i am properly broken as i type this.

The las 10ks of the route is epic, if i was not so shatered i would have had a little more fun.

Spectacular views, well stocked water tables, small batches and a monster of a climb.

Did i mention how smoking hot the ladies at the watertables were?

Does anyone have info on the rider the paramedics were resussitating close to the finish? I really hope he is ok. Its shocking to see something like that, and i really hope the rider is ok, and made it through the ordeal.

What a tough ride, dragged my a$$ over the line in 5:15 not too shab given my lack of training. But i am properly broken as i type this.

The las 10ks of the route is epic, if i was not so shatered i would have had a little more fun.

Spectacular views, well stocked water tables, small batches and a monster of a climb.

Did i mention how smoking hot the ladies at the watertables were?

Does anyone have info on the rider the paramedics were resussitating close to the finish? I really hope he is ok. Its shocking to see something like that, and i really hope the rider is ok, and made it through the ordeal.

May unfortunately have been this rider?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/138970-cyclist-had-heart-attack-at-clarens-mtb-race/

Yeah, saw that thread shortly after I posted this, very sad indeed.

RIP fellow rider, and condolences to the family.

Yup, the rider suffers a heart attack and passed away on scene. RIP fellow rider. Tomorrow I ride the 48 for you and your family :(

Took my family for a hike early this morning, before we got off the trail the elites on Marathon came through, made my day! Very stoked that Kleinhans said thanks for the cheers, even while sitting right behind Platt and Bell. Cant wait for Tomorrows half marathon.

Sterkte to the family and friends who lost the rider close to the end. Saw the 2 ambulances close to the finnish just before 1.

Wessel,

Once again Clarens Half Marathon was an excellent event! I will be there again next year (making it another long weekend), hopefully I will have the guts to attempt the Marathon.

Glad I did both the marathon and 1/2. Very different experiences. Found the 1/2 more technical which I preferred. So beautiful up there. If I wasn't going back to England I would definitely be back next year. I'm not in the results for the half.. Hope they sort it

I did the Ultra Marathon and really enjoyed the route, however the water points on the last stretch were piss poor, and the fact that I nearly got killed by Karl Platt and Erik Kleinhans coming down the same single track that I had to go up was also a bit disappointing, it could have resulted in a serious injury for them as well as myself.

Extremely well organised event. Just a quick question - were there any showers available at the event? I did not see any and had to drive back to our accommodation to clean up. The water points were absolutely fantastic.

And thanks a lot to the guy that forced me to drive through a patch of sticks which bent my derailleur into my spokes and then cycled off saying something along the lines of "You going nowhere like that". Really need more people like you in the world(sarcasm). Slowed us down for over 2km on the single track and then rushed to clip in and not let us pass at the only wide section after pushing your bike up a hill. Ended up pushing my bike to the end from the 60km mark and cost my partner his sub 4hour for our first marathon. To the 50 odd cyclists that offered help you make the sport worth it. Hopefully there are 50 of you for every 1 of him. Sorry for rant but hope the lovely person reads this and feels ashamed.

Glad I did both the marathon and 1/2. Very different experiences. Found the 1/2 more technical which I preferred. So beautiful up there. If I wasn't going back to England I would definitely be back next year. I'm not in the results for the half.. Hope they sort it

And i didnt even get to meet you!