xx1 Alternatives

goodluck Phil danger

Riding 1x whatever amount of gears at the back is simpler than riding 2x or 3x for that matter, however one always has to remember to take into consideration that 1x will not give you the same range on external gearing as oposed to 2x or 3x, meaning that you will at times be limited in terms of gearing.

I've been riding 1x11 for a couple of thousand km's now and have found that it is fantastically simple solution, but does at times limit one in terms of gearing range, thus I use either a 32, 34 or 36 tooth front ring, depending on the terrain, for a relatively flat area like Pretoria a 36 works like a charm, whereas something like Jonkershoek calls for the 32 tooth ring.

1x11 is awesome, but is not the be all and end all, take care to remember that 2x or 3x has a wide range of gear ratios.

To conclude I would say that I won't use anything less than the 10-42 offered on the 11 speed cassette, as it offers a too narrow set of gearing options, rather stay with what you have.

Edited by Stefan Cremer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So then do I go xo1 crank 30t or xx1 crank 28t, being a heavier rider at 85kg I am worried about the hills. But I have plenty of power on the flats. On a 1 x11 setup. Slightly off topic sorry.

Heavy rider? Try 103kg, using 34 tooth chain ring and 11-41 cassette, fine for me

Heavy rider? Try 103kg, using 34 tooth chain ring and 11-41 cassette, fine for me

Haha, ja at the last race I did the average weight was prob 60kg, all laaities, and all of them kicked my butt. Edited by Johny Bravo

Likewise. I am with Christie

I really cannot see the reasoning behind the 1x set-ups. I tried 2X10. I found it inadequate. 'Regressing' back to a 3x setup. 3X9 that is. (I tried the X0 10 speed setup. But the X0 9 speed was just better. IMO)

I just love the wide range it offers. I see 100 reasons why front derailleurs are diabolic on the internet. Many of these reasons are just 'copy and paste' reasons. Pro's with >22 hours of training/week ride 1X11. They have fat percentages in the single figure range. They say 1x11 is Heaven sent. So that is why 1X10 is ideal for Mr Weekend Worrier with 4 hours/week training? Mr Weekender with his BMI of 29.7 climbing 300m/week. :huh:

Maybe it is just that people don't really climb mountains? I see Fortuners (4x4) all around me. I see thousands of Discoveries. I see millions of 4x4 D/C bakkies. Why do these okes drive around on tarmac with these cars? Maybe they will need it when they go to Xai-xai. Engines that go faster uphill if you just step on the gas. And they take a looong time to get tired.

Back to the mtb okes. They need LESS gears. Mtb's that were built to go off road. To go anywhere. Powered by legs that tire and run out of steam. Sometimes rather quick.

Imo.

like most things, try it and all is revealed. even better still is giving single speed a go as a training tool.

3x9 works.

1x10/11 works

2x10 works and chain sucks

Edited by Li Mu Bai

I have been considering the general Lee 42 with wolf tooth 32 in front for a while now. I would be installing on my specalized epic expert. The question is medium or long cage derailer??

A clutch derailleur will address chainsuck to a certain extent.

not really.

If the chain is properly mud pasted to the small chainring, it still wont release. At sabie I found my clutch deraileur merely having its jockey hanger stretched right forward till it locked up. had to stop and bend it back into position. this went on to such a degree that the small metal stopper on the jockey hanger actually ate into and damaged the body of the clutch deraileur.

What Sometime says is true, I suspect my small chain ring has reached its sell by date, and certainly contributes to the chain suck in the mud and wet. The closer spacing of the chainrings on the 2x10 doesnt assist in the heavy mud either.

However, I do enjoy my single speed, and I do enjoy my 1x10 so happy to keep at it.

I have been considering the general Lee 42 with wolf tooth 32 in front for a while now. I would be installing on my specalized epic expert. The question is medium or long cage derailer??

The http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/collections/all-products/products/giant-cog-for-shimano and

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/ and

http://absoluteblack.cc/cassette-cog.html are all cheaper options than the general lee, and having tried the oneup 42t solution I can say it really does work.

Medium cage deraileur works fine. I quote from the oneup website:

The OneUp 42T sprocket is compatible with most medium or long cage 10 speed mountain rear derailleurs. We are working to populate a complete list of preferred models. As with any cassette you need to check that your rear derailleur has enough capacity.

Rear derailleur capacity = (largest rear cog – smallest rear cog) + (largest front chainring – smallest front chain ring)

Here are two examples:

1. For someone running a 1X system with a 32T front chainring and an 11-42T rear cassette:

(42-11)+(32-32)=31T capacity

2. For someone running a 2X system with 40/28 front chainrings and an 11-42T rear cassette:

(42-11)+(40-28)=43T capacity

Medium cage deraileurs can typically handle 37T (Shimano) 39T (SRAM) and long cage rear derailleurs can handle 43T (Shimano) 45T (SRAM).

not really.

If the chain is properly mud pasted to the small chainring, it still wont release. At sabie I found my clutch deraileur merely having its jockey hanger stretched right forward till it locked up. had to stop and bend it back into position. this went on to such a degree that the small metal stopper on the jockey hanger actually ate into and damaged the body of the clutch deraileur.

What Sometime says is true, I suspect my small chain ring has reached its sell by date, and certainly contributes to the chain suck in the mud and wet. The closer spacing of the chainrings on the 2x10 doesnt assist in the heavy mud either.

However, I do enjoy my single speed, and I do enjoy my 1x10 so happy to keep at it.

Which is why specifically said "to a certain extent". In the situation you mention above, chain suck would have occurred a lot sooner if you used a standard non clutch derailleur.

The clutch can be adjusted to be tighter as well, which is not a bad idea for a muddy race: READ HERE

I have ridden many marathons on a single speed rigid 29er, and I have ridden even more marathons and ultra's on various geared hardtails(26 & 29).

My times (ss vs geared) on these races with similar fitness were very close to each other. So much so that in wet conditions I would rather opt for the ss for reliability.

My opinion is that many (amateur) marathon riders burn their matches on the flat & fast sections while they are snorting and puffing trying to stay in the front pack. After the above mentioned exertion they NEED the granny(2x or 3x front) to go up the tough hills.

However on a ss or 1x setup(to a certain extent) you are forced to ride within yourself on the flats, which leaves a lot more in the tank for the tough climbs and technical sections.

The above is just my opinion and observation, so please don't take me to the cleaners in case your opinion differs.

I totally agree with you here. Since moving over to 1x10 (with 42T cassette) I have experienced exactly this. You definitely pace yourself better. I find i finish much stronger and that is where a lot of places are made up.

But on a fast section you will never keep up on flat or slightly downhill roads with only a 30:11 top gear.

That is why on the 1x setup I have a 32T chainring as well. The profile of the race determines what size chainring upfront I will use.