The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here doing the X-Berg Challenge this year?

http://xbergchallenge.com/?fbclid=IwAR0Y33C3pkxd3IiApXHqHltqbGecJdJyyiekomjLLVLPF2TnjmT-zN7QAiA

If I was to do it, I would do the 40km trail run, not that I've trained to run 40km. I might do it next year.

I have run it a few times, value for money it is really awesome, the route and the fact you choose your own route make it even better.

I will likely run most of it this year, maybe cycle the last section. Will see how it goes. Certain parts are easier on bike.

First few sections are Oliviershoek pass to witsies resort(similar to DNT but no back leg), then up chain ladders, across the top of the berg, down rockeries pass to mweni, hopefully sleep there. Quick run over to cathedral peak hotel and then through to monks cowl(I ran this section Mikes pass to Monks cowl) in 4,5 hours in 2017 it is such an epic run bit of kloofing bit of ridgelines bit of open trail. Sleep monks cowl area and cycle to finish on day 3. Well that is the plan at this stage but really it will go out the window on the first climb up to the escarpment out of the Phat Chef

What kind of mileage are you guys doing? I'm prepping for the Addo 100 Miler. Doing minimum 400km a month.

I'm aiming for UTD, I've upped my mileage since Nov/Dec 18 - no jokes doubled/tripled my prev distances to 50km a week. Running super slowly to avoid injury and it's gone really well so far. I'm going to add one or two longer 50km runs in, but I don't see myself realistically going above 50km (average) a week to be honest.

400 a month is the business, awesome job!

also depends on other activities, to go to 100km is fine if you are only running, but add 2 cycles and 2 paddles into the mix and 40-60km is far more realistic, but it is good mileage, okes like Walmsley are doing 600km a month.

Shamelessly advertising my shoes here...

Unfortunately have to sell my Altra Olympus 3.0 trail running shoes. Paid R2100 for them a month ago and did exactly 1 run/walk in them of 7.2km. I hoped that the size would work but turned out that they are 1 size too small for me. They are UK11. I'd like to get R1700. 

post-57055-0-54323100-1549632355_thumb.jpg

post-57055-0-30120000-1549632368_thumb.jpg

Good to see Camille Herron is human :clap:  after all,

She bonked at Tarawera Ultra in New Zealand on the weekend to give up first place outright, finshed second behind a charging Jeff Browning.

Our man Ryan Sandes finished 5th in the 100km. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Addo!

TheJ and anyone else how did it go? 

All the comments I'm seeing said it was a tough tough day out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking at them. Have you had any feedback regarding them?

Has anyone here had any experience with Aonijie hydration packs? And if so, have you had a good experience with them?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I am also looking at them. Have you had any feedback regarding them?

Not yet, although I read a review on them a little while ago - quite a positive review. Was just wondering if any Hubbers have had any experience with them.

1 man currently left running Barkley Marathons - Karel Sabbe, 4th loop

Tapped out. Barkley claims many scalps once again.

Tapped out. Barkley claims many scalps once again.

Thats crazy. Sabbe is brilliant ultra trail runner, this years Barkley was just pure hell.