The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Thats crazy. Sabbe is brilliant ultra trail runner, this years Barkley was just pure hell.

So the same as every year then!  :eek:

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else considering the UTCT?

I'm thinking of doing the 21 with my Wifey. Lekker (big) goal for her to get her head in the game after the birth of our last child.

Anyone else considering the UTCT?

I'm thinking of doing the 21 with my Wifey. Lekker (big) goal for her to get her head in the game after the birth of our last child.

My advice would be to do the Mountain Challenge series instead... It's cheaper and less song and dance but AWESOME!

I find the UTCT is overpriced and oversubscribed. It is a fantastic event, but it's trails open all the time for free.

Done the 100km twice and won't do it again.

But if pomp and ceremony is your thing, then there is probably not a better race in SA!

IG bangers for days!

My advice would be to do the Mountain Challenge series instead... It's cheaper and less song and dance but AWESOME!

I find the UTCT is overpriced and oversubscribed. It is a fantastic event, but it's trails open all the time for free.

Done the 100km twice and won't do it again.

But if pomp and ceremony is your thing, then there is probably not a better race in SA!

IG bangers for days!

Ultra trails in SA are generally over priced.

Take wifey, get a car to drop you at witsieshoek, run through to Cathedral peak hotel, thank me later.

R90 for the actual permits needed and real mountains to run in. Yes CT I said real mountains not your koppie. :ph34r:

Take wifey, get a car to drop you at witsieshoek, run through to Cathedral peak hotel, thank me later.

R90 for the actual permits needed and real mountains to run in. Yes CT I said real mountains not your koppie. :ph34r:

Hahahahaha

Some people need 'events' to motivate themselves. Luckily we are not those people.

We take what we can get here bro! 1600m peaks from 30m - 70m above sea level is still some decent elevation out in the folds.

I do miss the 'Berg though... Being able to get over 3000m and back to civilisation in daylight is a dream for us Capies!

Hahahahaha

Some people need 'events' to motivate themselves. Luckily we are not those people.

We take what we can get here bro! 1600m peaks from 30m - 70m above sea level is still some decent elevation out in the folds.

I do miss the 'Berg though... Being able to get over 3000m and back to civilisation in daylight is a dream for us Capies!

Alot better than the 30m - 70m koppies at 1600m sea level that we get here in Centurion.

Does anyone here listen to music or podcasts/books/etc during ultra runs?

Music, yes. I don't need an ultra run for music. I can only laugh at my own jokes and one liners for that long. And yes, I can still enjoy the nature around me. 

1 man currently left running Barkley Marathons - Karel Sabbe, 4th loop

what..you can follow the race on social media now?

I expect to see the Barkley Marathon results in print, or they don't count!

Hahahahaha

!

That is my Wifey.

I'll be happy to grab a bag and shoes/bike and go jolling in the mountains, whereas she responds well to an event/achievement as motivation.

Thanks for the tip about the mountain challenge series, will check them out.

same thing for MTB events, R5k per day to ride oak valley when the daily permit is fifty bucks!

I like doing races that take me to places I wouldn't normally go, either because it's a destination or got event permission.

(I don't do many races)

what..you can follow the race on social media now?

I expect to see the Barkley Marathon results in print, or they don't count!

I was trawling the interwebs hard for tidbits this weekend.

Hahahahaha

!

That is my Wifey.

I'll be happy to grab a bag and shoes/bike and go jolling in the mountains, whereas she responds well to an event/achievement as motivation.

Thanks for the tip about the mountain challenge series, will check them out.

We've been inundated with requests for the start list for the 2019 race.

Here it is... another select batch of the most courageous ultra-distance runners on the planet.

Clinton Halsey
Eben Van Wyk
Lafras Heron
Fernando Santos
Nicky Booyens
Peter Purchase
Bennie Roux
Ruthven Kevin
Andy Wesson
Vicky Van Zyl
Philip Boardman
Carsten Nielsen
Eduan Naude
Jan Klynsmith
Stefan Zahlten
Charles Norman
Paul O'sullivan
Christoph Harreither
Dean Barclay

I was trawling the interwebs hard for tidbits this weekend.

Twitter is the only place, follow the real Kieth and #bm100..

The only "official" way