Upgrading to Full Carbon road bike.

Winstonian1984

1.95m tall on a size 58cm .......try something bigger

I am 1.91 on a size 60cm with 180mm cranks

Well I went with a 58cm on the advice of my LBS. They stated that a size 56cm shouldnt be a problem either.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to find a portable microscope :ph34r: ? Possibly a magnifying glass rather

A company called De-Tect can perform a radiographic scan of your bike and find those cracks for you, alu or carbon frames. Give them a call.

Edited by Capricorn

Firstly book yourself an Ergofit with Dr. Swart at Science to Sport or Renay Goustra at Epic Bike shop. They could best advise you on what bike to buy. At your height you would probably need a Spez Roubaix, Canmondale Synapse or Scott CR1. Don't overlook Cannondale CAAD 10 even though its aluminium. You have a nice budget there.

The CAAD 10 was a bike that I was looking at. There is just something about Cannondale that I like.

Well I went with a 58cm on the advice of my LBS. They stated that a size 56cm shouldnt be a problem either.

If you are spending that kind of money, it will be worth going for a proper and full bike fit as others have mentioned where in CT. Will be much more accurate than an LBS and in the long run when you are on the bike for hours you want to be in the most comfortable position.

If you are spending that kind of money, it will be worth going for a proper and full bike fit as others have mentioned where in CT. Will be much more accurate than an LBS and in the long run when you are on the bike for hours you want to be in the most comfortable position.

Yip, will definitely be the course of action I take. Thanks again to whoever gave valuable advice

The CAAD 10 was a bike that I was looking at. There is just something about Cannondale that I like.

Alu

The best in that category other than custom made

I like you thinking

Alu

The best in that category other than custom made

I like you thinking

Must admit my CAAD 7 was cool!

Performance in cycling has mostly to do with power-weight ratio.

Losing 3-4 kgs with a lighter road bike assisted your power- weight ratio.

Met a guy on the road today, he said I should keep my 11.5kg tank and use it for training, and when I get a carbon bike, use it on racedays. Is this a wise idea?

Edited by Winstonian1984

Met a guy on the road today, he said I should keep my 11.5kg tank and use it for training, and when I get a carbon bike, use it on racedays. Is this a wise idea?

There might be different set-ups to the respective bikes which could limit performance as it will strain your body differently.

'train heavy, race light' is a good principle.

Rather use heavier wheels. A brick or two in a backpack, Etc.

There might be different set-ups to the respective bikes which could limit performance as it will strain your body differently.

'train heavy, race light' is a good principle.

Rather use heavier wheels. A brick or two in a backpack, Etc.

That thought crossed my mind

Edited by Winstonian1984

For 30k you could have a Scott Foil 20

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Scott_Foil20.jpg

For 30k you could have a Scott Foil 20

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Scott_Foil20.jpg

I got the new Scott Solace 20 The same price as the Foil just more comfortable and comes with the new Ultegra 22 speed. http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/234093024/bike-solace-20-22-xl58/

http://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net/234/234093_65428_tif_raw_2.jpg

Edited by F111

To add to his questions I am 1.95 and weigh 110kg. Can carbon or hybrid handel extra weight ... Should I stay with alloy? My budget is a little lower at 15. And better frame or better components?

To add to his questions I am 1.95 and weigh 110kg. Can carbon or hybrid handel extra weight ... Should I stay with alloy? My budget is a little lower at 15. And better frame or better components?

Better frame always. Components can be upgraded over time and wont necessarily give you as much performance improvement compared to your frame. Good geometry and a correct fit is much more helpful than having Ultegra vs. 105