Do you ride a 26er?

Guest dirkieuys

At the end of the day it doesnt matter what bike you ride as long as you ride it and enjoy it.

Its not about which one is faster, better or current. If you ride a 26er then great, if you ride a 27.5 then great and guess what?, if you ride a 29er then great.

Its all about what you prefer and most importantly the enjoyment of the sport.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think I'll ever get rid of this oakie. Too much emotional attachment. If it breaks I'll have him welded up again and if it gets messed up, Bogus will repaint it.

Stunning!

Don't think I'll ever get rid of this oakie. Too much emotional attachment. If it breaks I'll have him welded up again and if it gets messed up, Bogus will repaint it.

Stunning!

Stunning!

Guest notmyname

Riding a 26inch is like using a Nokia 3310 ;)

????chumming the waters..

Riding a 26inch is like using a Nokia 3310 ;)

Yep

3310 = a real phone and just a phone no other crap to distract you

Much like the 26" mtb

26" = real bikers mtb, no crap

Surely 26ers don't exist anymore. 27.5 makes sense,but frame design and innovation has come on leaps and bounds,so the only reason for having a 26er is pure nostalgia

I used to have a 26er. We all did.But c'mon 29er just marketing bull$? Really? Are we really back in 2009? Why not bring back v-brakes and coil shocks? Better even, Penny farthing anyone?

Lets say you've been riding 26ers all your life. Then the 29er comes along. You ride it. Its the greatest thing since sliced cheese. So you get one and never look back. Awesome. You love the bigger wheels so much that you have decided its better. You're right, it is better. Better for you. Better for countless others as well. But not better for everyone.

Its been the hardest pill for advocates of bigger wheels to swallow. The blanket assumption that bigger is better because their experience tells them so. The inherent assertion that 26 fanboys are being nothing but nostalgic is shortsighted. While this may be more true. The preference of 26 over other wheelsizes cannot be ignored. Because it too is based on experience. Including my own. I've ridden bikes of all wheelsizes. Admittedly not enough of them for a fair comparison. But I've ridden them. 29 and 27.5. I still prefer my 26ers. But just because I prefer them doesn't mean I believe they are better. They just better for me. Sure I may be nostalgic. But that doesn't mean that my preference isn't justified.

I have three 26ers. A trail bike, a downhill bike and a dirt jump bike. So the smaller wheelsizes probably suit the kind of riding I like doing. It probably also has something to do with the fact that I'm a kortgat and all my frames are small so 26 inch bikes is ergonomically better for me. Better for me. Not everyone else.

Lets say you've been riding 26ers all your life. Then the 29er comes along. You ride it. Its the greatest thing since sliced cheese. So you get one and never look back. Awesome. You love the bigger wheels so much that you have decided its better. You're right, it is better. Better for you. Better for countless others as well. But not better for everyone.

Its been the hardest pill for advocates of bigger wheels to swallow. The blanket assumption that bigger is better because their experience tells them so. The inherent assertion that 26 fanboys are being nothing but nostalgic is shortsighted. While this may be more true. The preference of 26 over other wheelsizes cannot be ignored. Because it too is based on experience. Including my own. I've ridden bikes of all wheelsizes. Admittedly not enough of them for a fair comparison. But I've ridden them. 29 and 27.5. I still prefer my 26ers. But just because I prefer them doesn't mean I believe they are better. They just better for me. Sure I may be nostalgic. But that doesn't mean that my preference isn't justified.

I have three 26ers. A trail bike, a downhill bike and a dirt jump bike. So the smaller wheelsizes probably suit the kind of riding I like doing. It probably also has something to do with the fact that I'm a kortgat and all my frames are small so 26 inch bikes is ergonomically better for me. Better for me. Not everyone else.

Well said.

We still have 4 out of 6 ... 2x DH bikes and 2x jump bikes. 

With the trail bikes being 650b

I cant feel a difference with the wheel size change ... IMO ...

I've ridden 29'rs / 650b and they don't suit me but I can see their advantages and they are great for a lot of riders, just not me. I like 26'rs, not from some nostalgia fact just because I find them fun. The 26ers I've got were 5* bike 3 years ago and that fact hasn't changed. They still rip, still ride well and have plus points for the riding I do. Only real difference is you can get a top notch dual sus' trail bike for under R10K because people seem to think they are broken now that there are other choices. My stable has gone from 1 mtb to 3 very quickly and now choices for the day are difficult. 

Fact is we're all different, we all ride for different reasons, different terrain and even different lines on the same trail. We choose the bikes that suit our riding, we upgrade and modify to make them work for us better. I'd have thought that most people are just riding and focusing on their gig rather than what everyone else thinks or trying to convince / impress people about their choices. I don't ride races on the dirt but I'm not going to call you out on your choice for heading down the trail with a bunch of others because frankly it doesn't effect my riding, my day, my experiences, my enjoyment and what I'm going to try on the next run to have fun and improve. 

I've ridden 29'rs / 650b and they don't suit me but I can see their advantages and they are great for a lot of riders, just not me. I like 26'rs, not from some nostalgia fact just because I find them fun. The 26ers I've got were 5* bike 3 years ago and that fact hasn't changed. They still rip, still ride well and have plus points for the riding I do. Only real difference is you can get a top notch dual sus' trail bike for under R10K because people seem to think they are broken now that there are other choices. My stable has gone from 1 mtb to 3 very quickly and now choices for the day are difficult. 

Fact is we're all different, we all ride for different reasons, different terrain and even different lines on the same trail. We choose the bikes that suit our riding, we upgrade and modify to make them work for us better. I'd have thought that most people are just riding and focusing on their gig rather than what everyone else thinks or trying to convince / impress people about their choices. I don't ride races on the dirt but I'm not going to call you out on your choice for heading down the trail with a bunch of others because frankly it doesn't effect my riding, my day, my experiences, my enjoyment and what I'm going to try on the next run to have fun and improve. 

My sentiments too. 26 is fun to ride. I enjoy it way more than the other wheel sizes.

Archived