Tubeless sealent issue....

Azza

Is it there any truth to the story that Stans can make some tyres de-laminate? I read this somewhere and am loathe to ruin expensive tyres .........

Is it there any truth to the story that Stans can make some tyres de-laminate? I read this somewhere and am loathe to ruin expensive tyres .........

Used it with all brands of tyres and never had this problem

What would the financial savings be considering the effort, I recall my first few rides with non ust tyres with slime the burps has me carrying my bike to the car vowed to never go thru that again..

Stan's cost R30 per wheel excluding new tyres at lbs haven't looked back since then..that was 1,5 years ago. Total cost R60.

Lets look at economic viability - income 10k per month avar R500 per day over 20 days per month or R50 per hour if i10 hrs in a day t take u 1 hour to mix and fill air u will save R10 excluding costs of raw materials. So it actually costs more in long run as windolene alone is around R15. Y

Not worth it rather go ride your bike for at hour of effort.

I recently had to ditch a Hutchinson Python tyre as it had developed a funny bulge on the side of the tyre (it was a tubeless tyre). When I cut that section open the rubber was very soft and flexible. Am hoping it was a once off problem with that tyre....

OK so this thing about some sealants damaging tyres I thought I would have a go at writing to Maxxis themselves and .... well this is the reply I got ...kinda throws the cat amongst the pigeons doesn't it ...

Dear Michael,

Nice to meet you.

I am Robert and the sales rep of Maxxis.

Thanks for your mail.

As for your sealant consideration, it is necessary.

Since Maxxis LUST tires are not Latex or Ammonia compatible, please don’t use sealant which includes Latex or Ammonia on our LUST tire.

Mr. Gareth is the distributor in South Africa. He is willing to provide you the instant help if you need. Thank you.

Dear Gareth,

Please help Mr. Michael, if he needs some other help.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Robert Tsai

CHENG SHIN RUBBER IND. CO., LTD.

Bicycle Sales Division

TEL :+886-4-8525151 #326

FAX :+886-4-8525867

<mikeshillman@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

Name:: Michael Gilmore

Phone Number:: 27741917882

Email:: mikeshillman@gmail.com

Address:: 35 Brassie road

City:: Cape Town

State:: Western Cape

Zip:: 7945

Region:: Africa

Country Name:: South Africa

Inquiry:: Bicycle

Comments:: Hi there

I recently bought a set of Maxxis monorail UST lust 26 mtb tyres and I am

going to be putting them on my bike very soon. I was wondering if there is any

specific brand of sealant that you recommend for use with your Maxxis tyres. I

have read somewhere that some sealants can cause tyres to de-laminate which is

not what I want to happen to my nice new tyres. Any advice would be

appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

Michael Gilmore

so now I shall contact Mr Gareth about a sealant that does not have the 2 primary ingredients in it????????

I also wonder how many other tyres are affected by this and why is this never mentioned on their site etc etc etc ...whooo boy ......

OK so this thing about some sealants damaging tyres I thought I would have a go at writing to Maxxis themselves and .... well this is the reply I got ...kinda throws the cat amongst the pigeons doesn't it ...

Dear Michael,

Nice to meet you.

I am Robert and the sales rep of Maxxis.

Thanks for your mail.

As for your sealant consideration, it is necessary.

Since Maxxis LUST tires are not Latex or Ammonia compatible, please don’t use sealant which includes Latex or Ammonia on our LUST tire.

Mr. Gareth is the distributor in South Africa. He is willing to provide you the instant help if you need. Thank you.

Dear Gareth,

Please help Mr. Michael, if he needs some other help.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Robert Tsai

CHENG SHIN RUBBER IND. CO., LTD.

Bicycle Sales Division

TEL :+886-4-8525151 #326

FAX :+886-4-8525867

<mikeshillman@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

Name:: Michael Gilmore

Phone Number:: 27741917882

Email:: mikeshillman@gmail.com

Address:: 35 Brassie road

City:: Cape Town

State:: Western Cape

Zip:: 7945

Region:: Africa

Country Name:: South Africa

Inquiry:: Bicycle

Comments:: Hi there

I recently bought a set of Maxxis monorail UST lust 26 mtb tyres and I am

going to be putting them on my bike very soon. I was wondering if there is any

specific brand of sealant that you recommend for use with your Maxxis tyres. I

have read somewhere that some sealants can cause tyres to de-laminate which is

not what I want to happen to my nice new tyres. Any advice would be

appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

Michael Gilmore

so now I shall contact Mr Gareth about a sealant that does not have the 2 primary ingredients in it????????

I also wonder how many other tyres are affected by this and why is this never mentioned on their site etc etc etc ...whooo boy ......

If it is in fact true...

I guess we don't notice here because our tread wears out before the inside does #justsaying

If it is in fact true...

I guess we don't notice here because our tread wears out before the inside does #justsaying

You may have a point there........but if you do have a problem with the tyre they will just point out that the wrong sealant was used and ta ta warranty .... cos face it 99% of sealants have those ingredients... not that I have ever tried to claim a warranty on a tyre or ever needed to ......

if you are worrying about amminia then use Caffelatex sealant. pretty good sealant, lasts longer in my wheels than stans did. just wash it off ASAP if it sprays on your bike.

If it is in fact true...

I cover lots of km on a monthly basis on the MTB,, so reckon your statement might not hold water. I twice had Maxxis Ikon on the rear wheel, both delaminated within 3 months of fitment...

Hi guys, i am looking at converting my wheels to tubeless. I know the best way to go is Stans sealent, but i want to see what happens if I make my own sealent. First of all I am going to use latex liquid as the main substance. But what does it help to use window washer or anti freeze diluted with it. And if there is a purpose of anti freeze or window washer. Will there be a difference if Iuse either one ? Thanks !!!!

Stans. at the end of the day its gonna cost you much less stress and effort. looking at about R40 a wheel. Also do the conversion at your bike shop. i know a bunch of guys that tried their own conversion. always ended up with slow leaks. Get yourself Rubena tyres. Plak soos wol op n k@k kombers.