[Event] Darling Brew Extreme MTB Challenge

Darling Brew Extreme MTB

Great event, but really crap day after going very well up to being forced to pull the plug at 40kms due to bike admin. Spoiled my whole weekend (didn't even hang around for a beer).... hel I think I am still not over it.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a fantastic race. Although I missed my personal goal, I have never felt so accomplished after a MTB event. Did the "62km". As said before they could have prepared us that it would actually be 66km. Its not a complaint...was actually happy for the extra kms...would have helped to know in terms of energy management.

Generally well organised. There were 2 points I felt the Marshalls could have been somewhat clearer on direction. Especially at the 42/62 split. That board was too small for the combination of gradient, muddiness, fatigue and the speed that cyclist approached that juncture. Almost missed it and understand why some 62 km participants did. At the time I got there, all the Marshalls (which by the way were two) said this way pointing in the direction of the 42km, unbeknown to me. Everyone was going that way. Something did not feel right. I braked hard, turned around went back and only then saw the board split. If organisers could perhaps next time just be sure to brief Marshalls from a cyclist perspective. The other too insignificant to mention. Other then those, great Marshalling.

The weather added well to the challenge. Was never so dirty after a MTB event like this one. Loved the route. Loved the single tracks. Loved the climbs. Thank you organisers and Marshalls for your time and effort. Thank you to landowners for your permission to ride there. Thank you to community folk for your encouragement along the way. Thank you to fellow cyclist for those that gave way when I asked.

See you next year.

It was a fantastic race. Although I missed my personal goal, I have never felt so accomplished after a MTB event. Did the "62km". As said before they could have prepared us that it would actually be 66km. Its not a complaint...was actually happy for the extra kms...would have helped to know in terms of energy management.

Generally well organised. There were 2 points I felt the Marshalls could have been somewhat clearer on direction. Especially at the 42/62 split. That board was too small for the combination of gradient, muddiness, fatigue and the speed that cyclist approached that juncture. Almost missed it and understand why some 62 km participants did. At the time I got there, all the Marshalls (which by the way were two) said this way pointing in the direction of the 42km, unbeknown to me. Everyone was going that way. Something did not feel right. I braked hard, turned around went back and only then saw the board split. If organisers could perhaps next time just be sure to brief Marshalls from a cyclist perspective. The other too insignificant to mention. Other then those, great Marshalling.

The weather added well to the challenge. Was never so dirty after a MTB event like this one. Loved the route. Loved the single tracks. Loved the climbs. Thank you organisers and Marshalls for your time and effort. Thank you to landowners for your permission to ride there. Thank you to community folk for your encouragement along the way. Thank you to fellow cyclist for those that gave way when I asked.

See you next year.

This was my first one so had to concentrate on the route markers. A good suggestion to maybe clear the confusion for the marshals is to give different coloured boards like they do for instance in the Magalies Monster. This greatly assist the marshals in identifying which rider needs to go on which route. Just my 5 cents

I also got 65 odd km's - I thought I was going to die because I was only mentally prepared for 62km - the organizers should really measure the routes more accurately.. myfok

My GPS said 62.69km. That's close enough for me.

The guy that took a tumble looked quite a bit in pain, two guys was rolling him over and the quad bike was on its way.

Don't know how the guys got the turn off wrong big board that said 42 left 62 right

The guy that took a tumble looked quite a bit in pain, two guys was rolling him over and the quad bike was on its way.

Don't know how the guys got the turn off wrong big board that said 42 left 62 right

This poor dude lost 2 bikes, At least he got to do the ride firstattachicon.gif2015-05-30 12.59.30.jpg

yeah saw when this happened… i had a moment of silence for the bikes lost… 

what a shitty way to end a race day.. at least no one got hurt. 

mine got  65.8km...

Hmmm going to upload to strava shortly and compare my route to others. Should be able to see if there was a "detour" that I missed.

Hi "Matchstix",

Unfortunately I was the guy who took the tumble. I merely went down that hill too fast for my skill level !

Shyte happens. I can't remember / recall what happened at all. I only gained conciousness in the ambulance about 40 minutes after the incident.

Apart from a bruised face, sore neck and head, damaged rotator cuff and 3 broken ribs nothing serious is wrong.

I just want to say that the race organizers were absolutely awesome !!! Farmer Hendrie Brink stabalized me and called the ambulance. Gabri Steyn sorted my bike,helmit,glasses and Garmin. Kevin Woods was personally in contact with the wify all throughout the morning and the other two gentlemen also called a number of times to find out how I was doing.Felt like a pro rider or a celeb

Big up to these guys !!!

To top it all I was offerred a free entry for next year

PS : Any Hubber with a set of side-wheels I can borrow for next year

Sworksmad I think a "skills-clinic" with one of the hubbers might do you better( the side wheels keeps getting hooked on branches and trees next to the trai. So actually waay more dangerous). Just glad to hear your ego is still in tact. How long are you going to be off the bike?

Haa haaaaa,good idea about the skills clinic AND I will have another 12 months to work at it????.

Doc reckons 6 weeks off the bike argghh !

mine got  65.8km...

Mine too. 1181m ascent. 

Those extra few kays almost brought me to tears...

any idea where one can see all the images that got snapped up

• Event Pics

The pics will be on the Darling Brew website on Wednesday

I was not chuffed, Im no race snake but I can ride, they put me in the last seeded group for the 42km, I spent the whole ride trying make my way around people...other than that I enjoyed the ride

I was also in E, but so horribly unfit i didn't really feel like contacting them. Then found out my mom was in C - and the race was on (she ended up woosing out and doing the 18 instead)!

Problem was that even though I was at the front of our bunch, we caught up the 5 mins from the previous batch within 4km, so there was traffic all over the ST section, even though it was so far down the road. The only way around this is to get a better seeding.

great event, I last did the Darling MTB race when it was still from Ormonde about 6/7 years ago. we had a lekker time, they really went to great lengths to make sure everything was lekker.

Archived