Mentality of Some Cyclists

Loupie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smimby

You need to get your facts straight before you expect someone to take your advise. Its not against the law, South African traffic legislation in this regard is inconsistent with other countries, which allow cyclist to ride two abreast (but no more).

I don't understand? There is actually a law that states that Cyclist should ride single file

Looks okay to me

Inside that dotted section

Not impeding traffic

They could move over another ruler length or so to be safer

I don't understand? There is actually a law that states that Cyclist should ride single file

This applies to when riding in the carriage way, that is if the riders were on the roadside of the yellow line they are legally obligated to ride in single file unless overtaking. The road shoulder is not considered part of the roadway.

Yes, but the wording creates a loophole that allows motorcycles to lane split, ie, ride next to another vehicle within the same lane for the purposes of overtaking. Same thing, cyclists in a double pace line would be continually "overtaking".

What you guys should know about this road, is that it is under construction with only marked out dots at some places as in the picture. At the moment, cars are driving on the complete outside of the road, using the middle section to pass other cars. Cars are also driving in the complete centre of the road just before they turn left, right or do random things. It's chaos. I usually use this road to commute, but have stopped since construction began, as motorists are driving crazy all over the road. As at the time of the picture, yes, they were riding in the yellow lane. At the time of me passing them, the outside guy was riding ON the yellow lane. On this stretch motorists drive anything between 60kph and 120kph...

I was simiply trying to inform people riding on a road I know very well, that it would be better for them to ride single file close to the curb.

Guest Smimby

It says that SA law is inconsistent with other countries, IE it is NOT allowed here but is allowed in other countries.

Cyclists riding two abreast do not kill anyone. South African traffic legislation in this regard is also inconsistent with other countries, which allow cyclist to ride two abreast (but no more) and also inconsistent with the provisions of the Paragraph 2(b) of Article 16 of the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic 1949, which allows cycling two abreast

Guest Smimby

This applies to when riding in the carriage way, that is if the riders were on the roadside of the yellow line they are legally obligated to ride in single file unless overtaking. The road shoulder is not considered part of the roadway.

Hence cyclist should technically NOT ride in the yellow line.....

At the moment, cars are driving on the complete outside of the road, using the middle section to pass other cars. Cars are also driving in the complete centre of the road just before they turn left, right or do random things. It's chaos. On this stretch motorists drive anything between 60kph and 120kph...

So, you mean, it's like every single road in SA?

Hence cyclist should technically NOT ride in the yellow line.....

Exactly, but can you imagine how the motorists will cry if they don't. SA motorists don't seem to understand that riding in the yellow line is a courtesy, not an obligation.