Heart Rate

JJDT

Actually, the way I heard it goes - ride until you fall over, check what HR you got, and then add 5 bpm to get your max. It is highly unlikely that one would hit one's max, merely by pushing to your perceived limit during a trianing session.

When racing, the adrenaline gives one the ability to push that little bit harder than in training.

Yip I see numbers in racing that I don't see in training

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip I see numbers in racing that I don't see in training

You old racing snake, you!

Been following this thread and others likewise. Just out of curiosity, how many HUBBERS (Pretoria-Johannesburg area) would like to be tested to determine their functional (maximum) capacity. I have access to a sport science lab where the following tests can be performed:

1. Full body composition and anthropometry (using skinfold calipers, etc)

2. Lung function and capacities

3. Isokinetic muscle power evaluation of quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups.

4. Graded exercise test to max using a metabolic cart to measure expiration gases and determining VO2max.

5. Blood lactate and heart rate profiles with power output on bicycle.

6. Anaerobic capacity test.

Just indicate if you will be interested. Might consider doing it to support one of the Hub causes (iow a donation to a specific cause will qualify you for such a test protocol with results feedback and recommendations).

(Similar in concept to Bogus' frame spray initiative a while back)

Been following this thread and others likewise. Just out of curiosity, how many HUBBERS (Pretoria-Johannesburg area) would like to be tested to determine their functional (maximum) capacity. I have access to a sport science lab where the following tests can be performed:

3. Isokinetic muscle power evaluation of quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups.

4. Graded exercise test to max using a metabolic cart to measure expiration gases and determining VO2max.

Just indicate if you will be interested. Might consider doing it to support one of the Hub causes (iow a donation to a specific cause will qualify you for such a test protocol with results feedback and recommendations).

How much $$$?

My thoughts on HR:

My last race was 90% for 2h45 and I backed off the last 25km's, I would call anything up to 95% normal.

I don't think 95% of max for 3 hours is normal at all. I don't even think that's possible?

I've only ever achieved my highest reading in a race, because for me the extra race conditions will never be replicated on a professional or self test. I just take my maximum ever and added a few bpm.

Remember your max can also change.

(Similar in concept to Bogus' frame spray initiative a while back)

How much

Sounds interesting. I live and work in Centurion

As V12 said, not pleasant.

A word of warning though: if you do this out in public (and you do it properly), you are going to feel like keeling over at the end of the test. Make sure the road isn't busy and /or have a place where you can easily pull off and fall over and puke... or at lest some dry retching......

Fixed it for you.... :)

Max HR test is the one work out I routinely 'miss', my running max is 207 and my cycling max is 190... squeezing the last 5bpm out can be like drawing blood from a stone - a harrowing experience for sure!

Get someone you are pretty evenly matched with to do the test with you, the motivation/accountability aspect goes a loooooong way towards making sure you don't quit before your HR levels off near max!

It is quite interesting the difference that a set of cheer leaders encouraging you while you do the test can make - both in a max HR test and a max power test (barhugger can spend some time and find the research articles already published on this if he is interested) ..... well worth getting a bunch of mates together to do a test and giving each other some mutual support - although photos on facebook of your mates throwing up is considered VERY bad form... :)

It is quite interesting the difference that a set of cheer leaders encouraging you while you do the test can make - both in a max HR test and a max power test (barhugger can spend some time and find the research articles already published on this if he is interested) ..... well worth getting a bunch of mates together to do a test and giving each other some mutual support - although photos on facebook of your mates throwing up is considered VERY bad form... :)

........calling George and Louis.......but atleast you have given your best. Also some interesting findings on the influence of music, especially when played at specific tempos.......but earpieces are against the rules.

The anaerobic capacity test (with fatigue index) is however the one for sorting the boys from the men........Google Wingate 30sec cycle test. Simple and well documented test.

I don't think 95% of max for 3 hours is normal at all. I don't even think that's possible?

I've only ever achieved my highest reading in a race, because for me the extra race conditions will never be replicated on a professional or self test. I just take my maximum ever and added a few bpm.

Remember your max can also change.

I agree on certain points. My heart is not normal though. I do find I have different max readings depending on a number of factors. ie. Type of bike, Track bike gets the highest, cadence, spinning higher, standing vs sitting, standing normally 20 beats higher, on the front vs sucking wheel, ride time before testing, training load in the days before, weather, hot vs cold 40°C higher, and then what stage of training I'm in bace vs intervals. Then also flat road vs climb etc.

Forgot to mention that my resting is very high for my level and my max is lower than I think is should be.

I agree on certain points. My heart is not normal though. I do find I have different max readings depending on a number of factors. ie. Type of bike, Track bike gets the highest, cadence, spinning higher, standing vs sitting, standing normally 20 beats higher, on the front vs sucking wheel, ride time before testing, training load in the days before, weather, hot vs cold 40°C higher, and then what stage of training I'm in bace vs intervals. Then also flat road vs climb etc.

Forgot to mention that my resting is very high for my level and my max is lower than I think is should be.

Are you talking about max or actual hr? What you describe is very normal, e.g. standing, leading will have higher hr than sitting, drafting.

What exactly do you think your resting and max hr are? Could there be a fault with your monitor?

........calling George and Louis.......but atleast you have given your best. Also some interesting findings on the influence of music, especially when played at specific tempos.......but earpieces are against the rules.

The anaerobic capacity test (with fatigue index) is however the one for sorting the boys from the men........Google Wingate 30sec cycle test. Simple and well documented test.

You could probably use one of those "bone phone" type devices to play music when riding quite legally... wonder if you can still get them...

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/01/the_bone_fone_r.html

Many years ago I made a certain fat eating professor lie on his office floor for about 2 hours after a modified wingate test... I don't think he thought it was as funny as I did.... luckily he still talks to me... more than 25 years later... needless to say he did not finish the protocol needed to use him as a member of the control group..

Archived