Budget fork choices

doppelganger

Hey guys

I am struggling to decide which fork to buy. I have a Momsen AL329 frame (tapered). I dont have a huge budget and I have been looking at:

RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air

RockShox XC 32 TK Solo Air Forks

Suntour Raidon

RST First

I Cant find the Rockshox forks at any of the shops near me, they mostly only sell the Reba. I have seen it on CRC for affordable prices.

Do you guys have any recommendations on these forks, and also where to get a good deal on them. I would prefer to buy locally, in the JHB area as I would also like to have the steerer cut (if need be)

Im not overly keen on buying second hand as most of the forks that I have seen for under R3k look like they have been through the wars.

Cycle Lab in Fourways had a Suntour Raidon for R2 200 when i was there last month. I cannot remember if it was 26 or 29 inch. Perhaps give them a call before you go through to them

Cycle Lab in Fourways had a Suntour Raidon for R2 200 when i was there last month. I cannot remember if it was 26 or 29 inch. Perhaps give them a call before you go through to them

Thanx Eugene, yes it was a 26 when i was there last week as well.

Get your LBS to order you a Recon. A bit heavy, but a better fork than the others on your list - especially when it comes to parts and serviceability.

If you don't come right, PM me and I'll sort something out for you.

Hi,

Suntour Epicon is the best out of that selection. Between 2800 and 3500 depending on where you get it from.

Hi,

Suntour Epicon is the best out of that selection. Between 2800 and 3500 depending on where you get it from.

+1 on that, R2800 at my LBS and it's a great fork which is about the same weight as a REBA

+1 on that, R2800 at my LBS and it's a great fork which is about the same weight as a REBA

I agree on the Epicon, easy to service and adjustable from 80mm-140mm, to be honest I kind of feel its better than the Fox F32 I have on another bike.

The Suntour Epicon only comes in 15mm, not 9mm QR, unless Im being an idiot...I have not seen it.

I have had a look at the Recon SIlver from CRC, but with VAT & duties it will get a bit pricey for me.

Suntour Raidon is extremely heavy. I agree with Fabian46, if you can, rather get the Epicon, it's a really smooth fork and it's way lighter than the Raidon. The Raidon, although it's an air fork, actually feels like a spring fork. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

Suntour Raidon is extremely heavy. I agree with Fabian46, if you can, rather get the Epicon, it's a really smooth fork and it's way lighter than the Raidon. The Raidon, although it's an air fork, actually feels like a spring fork. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

I'm still unsure what I will do, but I don't think I will go with Suntour.

I will soon be selling a RS Recon TK Silver, with tapered steerer. I am upgrading my son's bike to a Reba. Will be doing the installation this weekend. And I am sure lots of others are also doing so, so look around for second hand ones. This one is 7 months old, so not all second hand ones have been through the wars.

Edited by Moridin

Consider Droo's advice. The man knows his stuff.. It's shocking, but it's true...

See what I did there.....

I bought Manitou Tower Pro Forks from CRC for R3300 in Jan. They are just as good as the Rockshock reba on my 26er. Just bought a steerer reducing kit as well

Consider Droo's advice. The man knows his stuff.. It's shocking, but it's true...

See what I did there.....

I see! Let's see what Droo can doo. See what I did there?