Must do events in Gauteng and surrounds

Eugee

The closer to home ones (ie Nissan series) tend to be flat and very popular, for the novices. Other more adventurous ones that come up are the MTN series (one at Van Gaalens this year that's going to be fun), Clarens and the rest are a bit of a drive. Lion Man up north used to be good, but no more.

Also some great events down in MP are the Forest to Falls (coming up), and the Sabie in Feb, Mankele Park and events, well worth the drive, a few hours on decent roads, Barberton in Jan has been mentioned, that's a must-do. Then the Crater Cruise down south in Parys, that's tough but fun. Also every month there is a Dirtmax event in Parys, that is a nice ride in the veld. Otherwise I head to Groenkloof and Suikerbosrand when I feel up to the drive for a ride. Nothing really closer to home for me, I stay just up the hill from you.

Gotta tell you its a shock to the system after Cape town. I never had to drive more than an hour for a race and that included some serious mountain biking, stage races, flat races, road races etc. Where do you go for just a quick before or after work ride?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://goo.gl/maps/lEXNB 8km of tar to get onto the Spruit. Not great, but not to bad.

Ive done that 8 km to the spruit twice, Nearly got killed about 4 times. I dont know how you guys survive the roads up here. Its ok once your past rosebank but up to that point it feels like the taxis are gunning just for you.

The Spruit is AWESOME man.

Would you care to explain that statement. Its not bad but in my books quite a way off awesome.

Alternatively you can open your toilet lid and experience pretty much what the spruit has.

:clap:

Sorry to highjack, but I'm also new to J'burg. Out in Broadacres side.

Do you guys know of any Mtb group rides that way?

I need to get some extra training in for the Transbaviaans, spinning alone is not gonna do it!

Any help will be appreciated!

'Fraid your only quick before or after work ride is the Spruit... from where you are. Bite the bullet, load the bike and park at Fratellis or in one of the Emmerentia Dam car parks. You can easily knock off 20+kms right up to Alberts Farm or down as far as the light will allow. Just hold your nose where our brothers have removed the sewerage manhole covers to sell for scrap...

Or, once you've had to load the bike, I guess Modderfontein is a possibility

As for that 8kms... those roads are mayhem.. you wouldn't get me off the pavement... and that's not really practical to cover that distance. You could look at going around the Joburg Zoo and thru Zoo Lake... might be an option

Edited by RichieT

'Fraid your only quick before or after work ride is the Spruit... from where you are. Bite the bullet, load the bike and park at Fratellis or in one of the Emmerentia Dam car parks. You can easily knock off 20+kms right up to Alberts Farm or down as far as the light will allow. Just hold your nose where our brothers have removed the sewerage manhole covers to sell for scrap...

Thanks richieT, I have been cycling down there. not the greatest but something i supose.

Thanks richieT, I have been cycling down there. not the greatest but something i supose.

You have to know where to look on the Spruit. Fun stuff is mostly off the main lines.

As for events, there are some new cool things happening on the #Enduro side.

Keep your ear to the ground for Waterval Boven, Hakahana, Van Gaalens and Swampdog Farm enduros.

Gotta tell you its a shock to the system after Cape town. I never had to drive more than an hour for a race and that included some serious mountain biking, stage races, flat races, road races etc. Where do you go for just a quick before or after work ride?

I'm lucky in that I stay about 800m from the Spruit but it does get boring after awhile. As a quick before or after work ride I can't complain and one can do a 50+km ride from Paulshof up to the top of the gardens and back.

Where are you in Jhb. There are a lot of trails in the cradle area and there are all the normal Jhb rides.

Braamfontein Spruit

Northern Farm

Cradle

Rietvlei

Avianto

etc

etc

Lots of races every weekend if you want.

Rode Heia Safari Ranch a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the trails.

Where do you go for just a quick before or after work ride?

There is a route from you around the Linksfield ridge that's about 20 k's and a decent amount of climbing, back / quiet roads and pavements. Can give you the route if you want.

And the ridge itself has a lot of potential for a few routes, any volunteers? there is a path along the top but I am thinking a loop along the bottom of the south side. Its a public space / nature reserve, will need to get permission but the time it right.

Edited by kosmonooit

Don't do the 94.7 MTB race unless you don't mind standing around in the blistering sun for 2 hours because of congestion.

Ive done that 8 km to the spruit twice, Nearly got killed about 4 times. I dont know how you guys survive the roads up here. Its ok once your past rosebank but up to that point it feels like the taxis are gunning just for you.

Would you care to explain that statement. Its not bad but in my books quite a way off awesome.

:clap:

Depends how well you know the spruit... there is a lot on offer, you just need to know where to find it...

Has anyone mentioned Suikerbosrand? Tar, but nice...

yes, indeed! Its either that or Groenies for me, both about the same distance from this area. But that's a three hour ride, for me at least.

dude.... stuck in Joburg? jeez...

I've heard mountain goats complain about Joburg having so many organised events compared to what they have in the Cape so I'm sure you'll be okay.

After work riding can be a challenge compared to CT since you have more daylight (duh...) and now going to get more challenging moving towards winter BUT nothing we can do about that.

some good suggestions from Hubbers so far!

Know what you are saying, had this as my back yard for a while

http://www.entopia.org.za/travels/Dec04-Jan05/134HighCape_1-med.jpg