Must do events in Gauteng and surrounds

Eugee

Hi guys

Im stuck in joburg for the next two years. So i thought i might as well make the best of it and tick off some must do events while up here. What would you guys recomend.

Im a mountain biker, but im assuming 94.7 would be in there and the magalies monster as well. I know of the joburg2C but thats a bit outside of my budget. Think i might get a 3 day or two pass the boss.

Doing the two provinces this weekend.

Edited by Eugee

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly dont say stuck in Jhb, quick way to make frenemies :ph34r:

Yeah do the 94.7 on your MTB, there are a lot of us doing that. Else Mag Monster,

3 Towers (Cant talk from first hand experience, the other guys will do that)

Barberton in Jan but thats in Limpopo

Where about it Jhb you "stuck"?

Drive down to the Lowveld in Oct and do 3 Towers. You wouldn't be sorry.

Checked it out and it looks amaising, but can i ride it solo or is it a team event only? if team only anyone keen on joining? (Im a last half of the field guy)

Drive down to the Lowveld in Oct and do 3 Towers. You wouldn't be sorry.

+1 on Towers

Also check out Nissan Trailseeker & MTN Series

Go to Cyclelab.com and select Entries

Theres loads of events

Where are you in Jhb. There are a lot of trails in the cradle area and there are all the normal Jhb rides.

Braamfontein Spruit

Northern Farm

Cradle

Rietvlei

Avianto

etc

etc

Lots of races every weekend if you want.

Firstly dont say stuck in Jhb, quick way to make frenemies :ph34r:

Yeah do the 94.7 on your MTB, there are a lot of us doing that. Else Mag Monster,

3 Towers (Cant talk from first hand experience, the other guys will do that)

Barberton in Jan but thats in Limpopo

Where about it Jhb you "stuck"?

Live very close to houton near the norwood mall. Think thats the reason for saying stuck coming from Paarl, then stellenbosch and then Durbanville im used to getting on my bike at home and being on a trail within 10 mins. Over here there is nowhere to ride or I havent found it yet.

dont mind traveling a bit to go do the clasics. Defs not gonna travel up here to do them once im back in ct. (Unless i can afford the Joburg2c)

Where are you in Jhb. There are a lot of trails in the cradle area and there are all the normal Jhb rides.

Braamfontein Spruit

Northern Farm

Cradle

Rietvlei

Avianto

etc

etc

Lots of races every weekend if you want.

Thanks for the reply. Because im not from the area im looking for some input for the must do events.

The closer to home ones (ie Nissan series) tend to be flat and very popular, for the novices. Other more adventurous ones that come up are the MTN series (one at Van Gaalens this year that's going to be fun), Clarens and the rest are a bit of a drive. Lion Man up north used to be good, but no more.

Also some great events down in MP are the Forest to Falls (coming up), and the Sabie in Feb, Mankele Park and events, well worth the drive, a few hours on decent roads, Barberton in Jan has been mentioned, that's a must-do. Then the Crater Cruise down south in Parys, that's tough but fun. Also every month there is a Dirtmax event in Parys, that is a nice ride in the veld. Otherwise I head to Groenkloof and Suikerbosrand when I feel up to the drive for a ride. Nothing really closer to home for me, I stay just up the hill from you.

Edited by kosmonooit

Live very close to houton near the norwood mall. Think thats the reason for saying stuck coming from Paarl, then stellenbosch and then Durbanville im used to getting on my bike at home and being on a trail within 10 mins. Over here there is nowhere to ride or I havent found it yet.

http://goo.gl/maps/lEXNB 8km of tar to get onto the Spruit. Not great, but not to bad.

Edited by GaryvdM

Bit of a drive, but Clarens is a must do, first weekend of May. You will love it! You can always make a weekend of it with the marathon on Saturday and the half on Sunday. Autumn in the eastern Freestate is something to behold. Beatiful this time of the year.

The closer to home ones (ie Nissan series) tend to be flat and very popular, for the novices. Other more adventurous ones that come up are the MTN series (one at Van Gaalens this year that's going to be fun), Clarens and the rest are a bit of a drive. Lion Man up north used to be good, but no more.

Also some great events down in MP are the Forest to Falls (coming up), and the Sabie in Feb, Mankele Park and events, well worth the drive, a few hours on decent roads, Barberton in Jan has been mentioned, that's a must-do. Then the Crater Cruise down south in Parys, that's tough but fun. Also every month there is a Dirtmax event in Parys, that is a nice ride in the veld. Otherwise I head to Groenkloof and Suikerbosrand when I feel up to the drive for a ride. Nothing really closer to home for me, I stay just up the hill from you.

Magoebaskloof is an awesome ride as well. Closer to home, dont forget about hakahana trails in harties

Checked it out and it looks amaising, but can i ride it solo or is it a team event only? if team only anyone keen on joining? (Im a last half of the field guy)

Me... Look for a 3 tower buddy. Pm me

Repeating some of the above, without driving too far there's Nothern Farm, Modderfontein, Benoni CC, Big Red Barn, Rietvlei and its next door neighbour Thaba trails. A number of these places also have races at them,