TOKAI CRASH MONDAY 21/4/14

varkie2

I know the section. Fell there myself a few weeks back due to low pressure in front tire, burped the tire and there I went. Took me about four attempts before I could bring myself to ride it again. :blush:

It's going to get worse when the rains come, so it might be worthwhile repairing before then.

Hope your father in law gets better soon.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishing the injured rider a rapid and full recovery.

It was on Easter Monday in 2006 that I broke my elbow in three places doing Mamba. Four operations later that same year, and I still carry the emotional scars and have a gammy elbow.

yikes, mamba has quite a storied history of mangled body parts. I'll consider myself most fortunate then.

Wishing the injured rider a rapid and full recovery.

It was on Easter Monday in 2006 that I broke my elbow in three places doing Mamba. Four operations later that same year, and I still carry the emotional scars and have a gammy elbow.

Mike Mol has the same story about Vasbyt but a week before launching his new Doctors series... eventually went bionic!

MH: which section is it that?

That's Mamba - where the offending rock is (can see it in the distance next to the arrow)

The pic is taken right from the top of the rock garden...

Mike Mol has the same story about Vasbyt but a week before launching his new Doctors series... eventually went bionic!

I was confronted with two choices - prosthetic elbow with full use or reconstructive surgery and limited use. I opted for the latter because a prosthetic elbow has a shelf life.

I was confronted with two choices - prosthetic elbow with full use or reconstructive surgery and limited use. I opted for the latter because a prosthetic elbow has a shelf life.

And you can always upgrade to a new piece after normal surgery. SO yeah - reconstructive and then when / if limited use becomes a problem or you damage it again, you can go Robo...

Wow Rolf,

That's hectic. Shame man, I hope the op goes well and he recovers. Is your dad Peter???

"Hats off" to all the guys and girls who helped him off the mountain. Such a pity Tokai (and or all of San Parks) don't have the access/funds to be Helivac'd off the mountain here.

Choppers all waiting or at forest fires.....??

...and Hats off to your Dad ("crazy 60 year old") who was out there, on single track, mind you, giving it horns on his bike.-"We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding!"

Please post up dates as I'd really like to hear how he is doing.

Cheers, Joe.

Hi Joe, yes Peter is my father in law. I will keep you posted. Seems like his spirits is high. He said this morning "he has a very busy day ahead of him counting all the dots on the ceiling" in his hospital bed since he is all braced up.

Thanx for all the well wishes. I will carry it over to him.

Hi Joe, yes Peter is my father in law. I will keep you posted. Seems like his spirits is high. He said this morning "he has a very busy day ahead of him counting all the dots on the ceiling" in his hospital bed since he is all braced up.

Thanx for all the well wishes. I will carry it over to him.

Yeah, please do, man! Speedy recovery and all that.

I was pretty confused. The GoPro flattens it out a lot.

It does doesnt it.

I have taken many photos of obstacles that looked like the side of a cliff to me at the time only for them to look like the mildest gradient when I show the picture to anybody.

It does doesnt it.

I have taken many photos of obstacles that looked like the side of a cliff to me at the time only for them to look like the mildest gradient when I show the picture to anybody.

The true "you had to be there" situation.

I've walked that section the last two times I rode down there. But please don't 'sanitise' it, we need stuff that scares the living bejeezus out of us.
A hard call that one. It's nice to get through a section that scares the snot out of you but how do you determine what that level is? What frightens me may (almost certainly will be) a piece of cake for many others.

true, I walk that section - no shame in that. The guys I ride with don't and they've come short a few times already, fortunately no serious injuries though.