Training with "weaker" partner

I think I have mentioned this before, but hubby went out of his way to get me to improve, 2e half of last year he happily gave up some of his form to help me improve, before that I had ridden now and then. So we came up with a plan, small milestones at my pace, after a couple of months I started improving a bit, now we are almost at the same level.. he still drops me on the descents, but I give it to him and the extra 30kg he has on me :ph34r: cause surely he can't be all that more better than me with the technical descents :whistling: can only be the weight ha ha ha.. no jokes, he is bad ass on the downhills.

In the beginning I told him, man go ride with a buddy that is as strong as you and his reply was, no mtbing is something he wants to do with me. I am glad he stuck it out with me, cause the riding is our time, the only time that it's just the 2 of us, no kids no work worries, just us, some times we can ride 5hrs and hardly say a word to each other, but it's time together.

I have however encouraged him that when we do do these 1day races and he is feeling great and me not so much he must go ride it at his pace, I will get to the finish eventually, and if anything happens someone will help me out.

I had that theory too until this weekend. Riding with the wife at Clarens she took a major fall 200m from the start. If i had gone on my own batch etc i would not have been there to help pick her up out a ditch. Carry her to first aid and then rush her to hospital. I would rather lose some form and ride with her and know she is safe.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that theory too until this weekend. Riding with the wife at Clarens she took a major fall 200m from the start. If i had gone on my own batch etc i would not have been there to help pick her up out a ditch. Carry her to first aid and then rush her to hospital. I would rather lose some form and ride with her and know she is safe.

EISH HOPE SHE IS OK :eek:

EISH HOPE SHE IS OK :eek:

Just hoping the swelling goes down by the weekend otherwise she wont be able to ride Sani with me.

My husband needed a lot of convincing to leave me.. I told him that I am sure someone would help me.. he still worries, even last week at Giba he would nail the descents but after every hectic bit would stop and wait for me to clear that section safely before he would carry on.. he really worries, it's rather sweet. It's how I am with my kids lol

Just hoping the swelling goes down by the weekend otherwise she wont be able to ride Sani with me.

Hipe she heals up fast.

OH NO HOPE SHE HEALS UP SOON SHAME

I think I have mentioned this before, but hubby went out of his way to get me to improve, 2e half of last year he happily gave up some of his form to help me improve, before that I had ridden now and then. So we came up with a plan, small milestones at my pace, after a couple of months I started improving a bit, now we are almost at the same level.. he still drops me on the descents, but I give it to him and the extra 30kg he has on me :ph34r: cause surely he can't be all that more better than me with the technical descents :whistling: can only be the weight ha ha ha.. no jokes, he is bad ass on the downhills.

In the beginning I told him, man go ride with a buddy that is as strong as you and his reply was, no mtbing is something he wants to do with me. I am glad he stuck it out with me, cause the riding is our time, the only time that it's just the 2 of us, no kids no work worries, just us, some times we can ride 5hrs and hardly say a word to each other, but it's time together.

I have however encouraged him that when we do do these 1day races and he is feeling great and me not so much he must go ride it at his pace, I will get to the finish eventually, and if anything happens someone will help me out.

Great post.

Kudos.

Hope she recovers fast.

I must add if it was not for my husband nursing me through last yrs crater cruise I wouldn't have finished.. I was not nearly ready to ride that ultra and it was hot and self pity was at a all time high.

I will also add that the 2 small races hubby did go ride at his own pace I caught him well before the finish.

But I have learnt a lot from just riding behind him..he has helped me so much. And it's great being able to do this together.

Edited by Gen

Healing vibes.

I must say the bike however didn't look so good, looks like $$$$$$$$$ beeeeeeg $$$$$$$$$

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Climb the hills as an interval. And try and do a hill as many time as can before she gets to the top.

hehehe - that funny!! :-)

Climb the hills as an interval. And try and do a hill as many time as can before she gets to the top.

hehehe - that's funny!! :-)

We also see our rides as time together....finally the kids are getting bigger and I can finally get away more!! The only problem is before I started riding I used to moan about all the money my husband would spend.....now I want the same things.....now its double the spares, bombs, etc not to mention a bottle of stans and lube now doesn't last long.....It turns out Im not a "cheap date" after all ^_^

We also see our rides as time together....finally the kids are getting bigger and I can finally get away more!! The only problem is before I started riding I used to moan about all the money my husband would spend.....now I want the same things.....now its double the spares, bombs, etc not to mention a bottle of stans and lube now doesn't last long.....It turns out Im not a "cheap date" after all ^_^

Ha ha ha yes indeed. Ha ha ha.. now I am the one wanting this and that..ha ha.