Hi guys,

I did a race at Mabalingwe last weekend and the organizers told me I'm not allowed to mount it to my helmet or chest. Same thing when I went to Bloukrans bungee recently...

Has anyone seen any in- head/chest footage?

If I sign the indemnity and they have all my medical aid details on hand, why am I not allowed to risk wearing my expensive action cam to record my adventures?!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smimby

Safety reasons, ie if the bungee get caught on it, you will break your neck! Not sure about the chest mount.

Well if those are the race rules it's our choice to participate or not.

If you want kickass footage, use your helmet cam/chesty at your own time.

I did however see at the UCI race the past weekend that a lot of the riders used helmet cams. maybe the UCI will relax their rules on the helmet/chesty.

I didn't mind following their rules, but its not every day you get to ride in a nature reserve with Rhinos etc...

I'll get the handlebar mount for these situations, but I really would like to know why the chesty is so dangerous. It might be insensitive, but I searched youtube and can't find any serious accidents with a chesty, so thank goodness for me :P

I didn't mind following their rules, but its not every day you get to ride in a nature reserve with Rhinos etc...

I'll get the handlebar mount for these situations, but I really would like to know why the chesty is so dangerous. It might be insensitive, but I searched youtube and can't find any serious accidents with a chesty, so thank goodness for me :P

You will also not find any serious injuries from a helmet mounted cam . Stupid rule made by stupid people !

Some rules just don't make sense. Like not being allowed to ride with a sleeveless shirt as it increases the risk of broken clavicles. Really?!? Not that I have ever ridden sleeveless. Just making a point.

Anyway, I also ride with a helmet mount but bought a handlebar mount for in case, just for this specific reason. I'll have my gopro on my helmet for sani, and if they complain I'll just move it to the bars. They're usually not too fussed though, but let's see.

Some rules just don't make sense. Like not being allowed to ride with a sleeveless shirt as it increases the risk of broken clavicles. Really?!? Not that I have ever ridden sleeveless. Just making a point.

Theres enough muscle boys walking around shopping centers and gyms attempting to look cool and pick up other men, we dont need them at MTB races.

Edited by ChUkKy

I fully understand the point made for helmets.

Vented helmets are not designed to support extra mounting on the vents. Even if the helmet has a Kevlar skeleton. Full Face DH or Motorbike helmets I can understand.

Chest mounting I can "Kind of" see causing an issue. If you eat dirt and the monting is on your sternum and that breaks...you could land in serious trouble...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternal_fracture

So if anything, mount on the bike, I agree. You have paid R5k on a camera, but health and saftey first.

Also see http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTY2NjU&LangId=1

Part IV: MTB

Ride Safe peeps!

Theres enough muscle boys walking around shopping centers and gyms attempting to look cool and pick up other men, we dont need them at MTB races.

I agree, still, it's a dumb rule. then rather just make a rule that you're not allowed to look like a knob.

I agree, still, it's a dumb rule. then rather just make a rule that you're not allowed to look like a knob.

It's not a @## fashion parade . I wear sleeveless shirts just to pee them off . Done it very successfully at the 94.7 .

It's not a @## fashion parade . I wear sleeveless shirts just to pee them off . Done it very successfully at the 94.7 .

When I look at all the colour co-ordinated riders at events, everyone tends to differ from your opinion.