Cross country to trail

PhilNorton

Ya... The hard yards of learning a new sport! Still remember the first surf board I was ever sold as being completely inappropriate as well ( not that my Epic is that though)

Plenty options out there. I'm sure you'll find something that speaks to you.

Get a camber and put on a dropper post. Climbs as well as the epic and will descend as well as a stumpy. I have owned many bikes and to me the camber is in another league. Not sure why J bravo thinks its a big bike in switchbacks as for me i find it handles the tight stuff so easily. Each to their own i suppose. The Giant Trance is a good call and good value. But perhaps if you tight for cash just buy a dropper stick it on the epic and see how you go, if that doesnt work when you get a new bike just transfer the dropper to the new bike. A dropper will transform the descents for you.it really is such an underated piece of equipment

Unfortunately in SA we see the big boys all riding Epics and we think that its the only option. Like some said on here, you can look at the Camber or the Spumpjumper FSR if you are comfortable with the Specialized brand and service that you have received to date.

I was in a similar position last year and had my heart set on the Epic. I went to a ride-before-you-buy day and tried the Spumpjumper FSR for sh!ts and giggles and really loved it! The dropper post made the world's difference and to date I have not needed to change anything on the bike spec-wise.

Some on thehub love tinkering with their bikes to "create" a good ride. I found that the Camber (I rode one of these as well, but liked the Sumpy more) and the Sumpy were specced to ride from a good saddle down to proper tubeless tyres.

Get a camber and put on a dropper post. Climbs as well as the epic and will descend as well as a stumpy. I have owned many bikes and to me the camber is in another league. Not sure why J bravo thinks its a big bike in switchbacks as for me i find it handles the tight stuff so easily. Each to their own i suppose. The Giant Trance is a good call and good value. But perhaps if you tight for cash just buy a dropper stick it on the epic and see how you go, if that doesnt work when you get a new bike just transfer the dropper to the new bike. A dropper will transform the descents for you.it really is such an underated piece of equipment

Like I said, Camber is absolutely superb, best all round bike out there. For me, the Epic is faster, which = more fun for ME. No dual sus climbs like an epic, nothing comes close, when that brain is locked out you can put the power down. Dont waste time putting a dropper on an Epic, seriously. Epic is what it is, hard, race orientated and very responsive.

I feel your pain Phil, still trying to find the right bike for me. Was in a shop today, really liked the shop, but not one trail orientated bike, all for XC riding...

Think I will wait for the stumpy 650B.

Guest 247mayhem

You need a bike for absolutely every discipline and sub discipline. you gotta collect them all!!

Just yesterday I did a Spruit ride on my Trance 650B.

I pedalled along with my mates on their 29er Scott XC bikes, and hit every jump that they went around.

That is what a trail bike is for...

edit: pic added.

post-4091-0-54690600-1399322756_thumb.jpg

post-4091-0-01648100-1399322787_thumb.jpg

Edited by nolipoli

The Camber is mixture between the Epic and the Stumpy, but it doesn't ride like either one. Its more suited to our type of riding here in SA, an all rounder. The epic is faster as its more of a race bike, but the Camber does XC, single track, down hills and climbing so well, and its a hell of a fun bike to ride. Go for the Camber, you will not be disappointed. Go test the best.

post-44934-1399320710,4322.jpg

Pyga 110+dropper=sorted.

If you want one bike to do everything from stage races to general trail riding to enduros, this would be a good choice.

Whatever bike you get, or even if you keep the epic, put on a dropper post. That increases the range of what a bike can handle comfortably more than just about anything else. If you put on a shorter stem and wider bars that will also make it more trail friendly.