To build or not to build a single speed

extremez

I'm looking for wheels and brakes, anyone clearing out some old parts lying around please PM me

Road or MTB?

Where can a buy a frame local?

Nowhere ! Import directly from planet x .Cotic is locally available .There was a cotic frame XL in the classified section not long ago

Saw it, at that point of time it was to expensive and I didn't know I want to build one hahaha. So yes a student budget isn't your friend when it come to cycling.

Been riding ss only for two years. Can't see myself on a geared bike unles I'm 70 or something. Do it! You won't regret it.

I am building up a merida 29er for my single speed.scored the frame from a mate. busy stripping the paint and getting all the parts.

I have a red daccordi frame with a cross fork fitted if any one want to build up a cross single speed.

I have an old 26" bike that has served me well for a long time, anyone have any thoughts on turning it into a SS for things like Spruit rides etc.

Should I rather get hold of a 29"er frame?

I have one of those.... converted my 24 year old Schwinn MTB to SS - still a great ride.... brakes are dodgy, but that's only compared to modern brakes...

It's a worthwhile exercise to build an SS - 26 or 29 makes no difference at all - unless you care about image...

Don't do it!!! That's how it starts "oh, I'll just build an SS with odd parts lying around in my garage." I'm four years on from that little step, have 3 SS bikes now, the geared bike gathered dust for two years before it got stolen and was never replaced.

So I told my wife of my plan to resurrect my old bike and create my first single speed. Her response was that this was a stupid idea and that if I wanted to ride a single speed I should just ride my geared bike without changing gears!

"It's not as if you can ride more than one bike at a time" she said.

This is going to take some patience on my part, she eventually got the different wheel size explanation, or said she did, but at least I don't need to explain it any more.

Want to build a SS but can't find a cheapish XL frame... I have a tight budget and don't really have any money for one but want to build one! Want to save my race bike, heavy maintanace! Any one have an old XL frame or a decent bike that I can convert so a SS?

I have a Titan carbon pro XL frame with seatpost and handlebars that I am looking to get rid of. SS build would be great but don't have the space. Let me know if interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I am half way through building the SS, I have a spare frame for an SS build if anyone is keen, PM me for photos