Cape Argus: experiences wanted

Belgian biker

I already figured out that most rental companies only do 5-7 day rentals around the Argus so that will give us time to get used to the bikes

we've only really done cycling in flat landscapes, we'll try to get some training in hilly landscapes

(now I'm doubting again wether this is a tour for us or not... damn!)

The Argus is a unique biking experience. You WILL get swept up in the whole atmosphere of 30 000 plus bikers riding around the peninsula on what is some of the most breathtaking roads and scenery on this ball we call earth! Yes, there are some challenges, but anyone who cycles moderately regularly will be able to make this ride, especially on the day with the turnout and inspiration that rides amongst you. You literally see people in all shapes and sizes and the greatest challenge will be riding harder than you are used because you see someone you believe you should be stronger and faster than, riding away from you! Unless of course you ride firmly with the goal of completing the ride AND enjoying it as a social experience at your own comfortable pace. If you maintain a 20km\h pace easily you are more than well prepared to line up on the day and come and enjoy this event with the rest of us cycling freaks! Next year will be my 15th completed one.

P.S. Have you ever been to SA before?

P.P.S. Do you do any mountainbiking too??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Newlands isn't a hack and is a good spot to base yourself if you're staying for a bit of a holiday as well. Just jump on the free way and zip into town, it's probably the quietest all year, takes about 15 minutes, tops. I stay in Rosebank (nr Newlands) and drive in each year. Always buy pre parking at the CTIC or the stadium but get it on the first or second day of the argus expo as it can sell out.

This year I just parked right behind the start cages and there were heaps of spaces just on the road. I bought a ticket to the CTIC the day before but left it at home, couldn't believe how easy it was to park.

Not sure where you'd rent bikes but I'm sure where you rent will have a rack for you to borrow. Heck if they won't help you out you can borrow mine as I just put my bike in my car. Don't choose location because you haven't got a rack!

How is Newlands your pick for a tourist?

You will have to drive everywhere and catching a cab every time would get pricey. Want to have a bottle of fine SA wine with dinner .... oh sorry only one can as you have to drive back.

15 min commute? at what 3am? Imagine leaving Camps Bay beach at 16h30 to go and get ready for dinner. You will be back in Newlands after 6

The fact that there are countless hotels, guest house ect in the CBD, Waterfront, Moulie Point, Camps Bay ect when compare to Newlands - who besides the Vineyard hotel doesn't have much to offer. That is probably the hint as to what area would be better for a tourist.

Don't want to be too pedantic but that isn't really correct. Sure, staying in the southern suburbs will mean you have to drive in, but it's, at most, a 15 minute easy drive on the day and finding parking is quite easy if you don't mind cycling a kilometre or two.

Metro train ticket for using the train both ways on the day is 40 South African Rands. (ZAR) That's for going in ahead of the race, where the start is literally 300 meters from the CBD end of line station and back to Newlands after you have spent some time in the hospitality area at the finish and then rolling back to the CBD station, which is roughly 4kms. (I live in the Claremont area and do this.) They have a special carriage for cyclists to climb on with their bikes on the day. No parking hassles and the train station in Newlands is easy enough to find!

How is Newlands your pick for a tourist?

You will have to drive everywhere and catching a cab every time would get pricey. Want to have a bottle of fine SA wine with dinner .... oh sorry only one can as you have to drive back.

15 min commute? at what 3am? Imagine leaving Camps Bay beach at 16h30 to go and get ready for dinner. You will be back in Newlands after 6

The fact that there are countless hotels, guest house ect in the CBD, Waterfront, Moulie Point, Camps Bay ect when compare to Newlands - who besides the Vineyard hotel doesn't have much to offer. That is probably the hint as to what area would be better for a tourist.

Easy there bad boy. Wasn't thinking that the 'burbs could create so much agitation. The OP spotted a B&B in Newlands and was asking about it. You drive 99% of places in Cape Town anyway and Newlands has a lot of guest houses etc so it's hardly a tourist wasteland. People I know who come usually stay N/lands, Constantia because it's nice, close to town and not a ball ache to go to other places once you exhausted V&A, Waterfront, Cableway... As for drinking and driving, doubt someone is going to eat in Town and walk to Moullie point, so it's going to end up same, same. Cabs or driving.

I live in Rosebank and have offices in Long street and it takes me less than 15 minutes to get to work in the morning. Evening is about 20. It's not exactly something that is worth making up a lie for and posting it here, couldn't think of anything more random. If you're on holiday, you can travel when you want and don't have to worry so much about traffic.

There is more to CT than town, from M/burg the Cape Point and round back to C/bay. in fact the best resturants aren't even in town. I didn't think this was a c**k out about what has the most hotels in CT rather helping a person come and enjoy a brilliant city, and a great event.

Town, Newlands, Constantia even Stellenbosch, you're going to have a great time and go back with a truck full of memories.

Easy there bad boy. Wasn't thinking that the 'burbs could create so much agitation. The OP spotted a B&B in Newlands and was asking about it. You drive 99% of places in Cape Town anyway and Newlands has a lot of guest houses etc so it's hardly a tourist wasteland. People I know who come usually stay N/lands, Constantia because it's nice, close to town and not a ball ache to go to other places once you exhausted V&A, Waterfront, Cableway... As for drinking and driving, doubt someone is going to eat in Town and walk to Moullie point, so it's going to end up same, same. Cabs or driving.

I live in Rosebank and have offices in Long street and it takes me less than 15 minutes to get to work in the morning. Evening is about 20. It's not exactly something that is worth making up a lie for and posting it here, couldn't think of anything more random. If you're on holiday, you can travel when you want and don't have to worry so much about traffic. Also

There is more to CT than town, from M/burg the Cape Point and round back to C/bay. in fact the best resturants aren't even in town. I didn't think this was a c**k out about what has the most hotels in CT rather helping a person come and enjoy a brilliant city, and a great event.

Town, Newlands, Constantia even Stellenbosch, you're going to have a great time and go back with a truck full of memories.

Bad boy? For saying town, Seapoint, Camps ect has more to offer than Newlands?

15 mins from Rosebank to long street? It is you who are lying? or seriously breaking all traffic laws. Anyone who lives in Cape Town would tell you that is nonsense during morning traffic. Constantia close to town - what you been smoking?

I live in town and very seldom drive if I go out. Cab from town to Moulie Point R30. Cab to Newlands R200 but don't let maths and facts get in the way of a good story.

No one said there was nothing to do but rather much more to do and access in the cbd. Neither did I say it was a wasteland - that was your inference. Cape Town has many many wonderful places and I never said anything about Cape Town only being the cbd. It has nothing to do with c@@k out as you put it.

You didn't answer the question - why it is your pick. Instead you get defensive and try and insult me for pointing out the obvious.

You live in Rosebank so I think that speaks enough for your taste and judgment

Edited by JGR

You live in Rosebank so I think that speaks enough for your taste and judgment

You're so right. All of it. You are my hero. I'm off to sell my house and move some where with taste and judgement.

You're so right. All of it. You are my hero. I'm off to sell my house and move some where with taste and judgement.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit .... still waiting for that objectivity as to why Newlands has more to offer than town

Yours truly

Bad boy

Guys - get a grip. This is supposed to be a thread welcoming some international riders to our amazing riding, not a slanging match.

100%.

I already figured out that most rental companies only do 5-7 day rentals around the Argus so that will give us time to get used to the bikes

we've only really done cycling in flat landscapes, we'll try to get some training in hilly landscapes

(now I'm doubting again wether this is a tour for us or not... damn!)

7 hour cut off is ample. I did my first one 5 years ago with minimal training. did a 5:30 .. still dont train much and i manged a 4:30 ....

Next year my 12 year old son want to do his first..... (so i better start training or i will eat his dust .....lol)

enjoy the experience. 30 000 + like minded peopel and just about the same amount of supporters... no other ride like it.

Supporters line the route from start to finish.....

Once you on Cape Town ... check with the Hubbers for when they will be doing the route and you can join them or just ride the route the week before. ...

Usually the Saturday and Sunday before just about ALL of the 30 000 cyclist do the route.... lol( okay Maybe not all but most (me included)...

Guys - get a grip. This is supposed to be a thread welcoming some international riders to our amazing riding, not a slanging match.

Agreed but no need for him to start insulting me, calling me a liar or bad boy for differing in his view of Newlands as the prime tourist spot

I will still stand by the fact it is impossible to get from the 'burbs to town in morning/afternoon traffic in 15 mins

Edited by JGR

Did my first one this year and asked myself, why did I wait all these years to do it. Great vibe, actually great everything. You will enjoy it Belgian Biker

Expect the weather to be unpredictable and train a little (just in case the wind wants to play). Mostly, enter, have fun, finish and come back again. :)

Edited by Jakkels

Don't worry about the hills. Concentrate on your mileage and your bunch riding skills. It's gonna be your first Argus so enjoy the sights and sounds. You will be back for more.

bunch riding is not an issue, this is a picture I took last year in NY. :wub:

I cycle a lot in our city to get around as well, between cars, narrow streets etc

http://i59.tinypic.com/68vga0.jpg

P.S. Have you ever been to SA before?

P.P.S. Do you do any mountainbiking too??

thanks for the encouragement!

Yes, I've been to SA before but that was in 1998 as a student on a tight budget. Visited CPT and the garden route. Loved it, looking forward to coming back, still on a budget but less tight ;-)

No, no mountainbiking, just cycling on weekends for fun, always making sure there is a nice bar or street side café along the way for a refreshing beer, haha, I'm Belgian after all !

yes, no need for arguing, there's plenty of time to figure out where we'll stay and what the most convenient place is for us. Nothing is set in stone yet.