Cape Argus: experiences wanted

Belgian biker

bunch riding is not an issue, this is a picture I took last year in NY. :wub:

I cycle a lot in our city to get around as well, between cars, narrow streets etc

A little more like this .. but just in places

post-23299-0-23650600-1399315658_thumb.jpg

post-23299-0-19672800-1399315670_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the encouragement!

Yes, I've been to SA before but that was in 1998 as a student on a tight budget. Visited CPT and the garden route. Loved it, looking forward to coming back, still on a budget but less tight ;-)

No, no mountainbiking, just cycling on weekends for fun, always making sure there is a nice bar or street side café along the way for a refreshing beer, haha, I'm Belgian after all !

Lots of that on the argus route.... lol.....

Might be an idea to do your ride for a local charity to get another unique perspective in to Cape Town.

Afrika Tikkun had a township ride for all their fundraisers to a children's centre that they run in Mfuleni. When they where there the riders were presented with their unique team jerseys by the kids that they'd helped out.

That's a actually good idea to keep in mind once everything else is arranged (flights, hotel, registration, bikes, the rest of our holiday!...) An ex-colleague of mine has a charity in Plettenberg for children with disabilities, they can always use a little extra.

so what do you take along on the ride itself? Sunscreen, water, camera,....I see there are refreshment areas, do they provide energy food, drinks,...?

oh, and most important: which bike should we hire? Below it my bike at home, that I love to drive and feel most comfortable with. A lot of rental companies in CPT rent our race bikes but I've never driven one before and I don't like bikes where your bum is higher than your hands :-) I think we better go for a MTB kind of bike, no? (Most companies I've loked at have a choice between those 2 kinds)

http://i60.tinypic.com/vr838l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well 2 weeks later and it's definitly for sure: I'm doing the Argus 2015! I got my mind set on it!

My husband decided not too, and I understand: his condition is not as good as mine and he has a back condition (scoliosis) which makes it difficult for him to ride a bike for hours. Or if he did, he'd barely be able to walk for 3 weeks and that would ruin the rest of our holiday.

in a way, it will be easier for me so I can ride at my own pace (+/-20k/h) I think I should be able to finish the race. 50% condition, 30% adrenaline of riding such a great tour and 20% determination. Now tell me that's not a plan :D

Edited by Belgian biker

Well 2 weeks later and it's definitly for sure: I'm doing the Argus 2015! I got my mind set on it!

My husband decided not too, and I understand: his condition is not as good as mine and he has a back condition (scoliosis) which makes it difficult for him to ride a bike for hours. Or if he did, he'd barely be able to walk for 3 weeks and that would ruin the rest of our holiday.

in a way, it will be easier for me so I can ride at my own pace (+/-20k/h) I think I should be able to finish the race. 50% condition, 30% adrenaline of riding such a great tour and 20% determination. Now tell me that's not a plan :D

Congrats on the decision! You won't regret a single moment...

Excellent, you'll love it

..........in a way, it will be easier for me so I can ride at my own pace (+/-20k/h) I think I should be able to finish the race. 50% condition, 30% adrenaline of riding such a great tour and 20% determination. Now tell me that's not a plan :D

It sure is a decent plan! :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Hi guys (and girls?)

another 2 months later and I tought I'd give an update for those interested.

So I've been cycling a lot in the last months and I really feel my condition improving. I try to cycle into work at least once a week (22km single way) and a longer ride on the weekend. Most I did was 80km, and that went pretty easy but that was all flat along rivers and canals. I now cycle easily at around 22-24km/h on flat roads.

So today I tought, let's train a bit on those hills. I got completely lost along the way and ended up doing some really tough hills, I had to get off my bike. No wonder, I just looked it up: those were hills with an average of 8,2% with a max of 13% LOL! I did one hill of 4,4% with even some cobblestones at the end, that was hard but I stayed on my bike, cycling around 10km/h.

Ended up doing 71km today in around 4h, including those hills! Towards the end, my back hurt more then my legs, wrong position on the bike?

So all in all, I think I nearly ready for the Argus, except having to wait another 7 months (and keeping it up during the winter months)

lookig forward to it!!! :clap:

Hi guys (and girls?)

another 2 months later and I tought I'd give an update for those interested.

So I've been cycling a lot in the last months and I really feel my condition improving. I try to cycle into work at least once a week (22km single way) and a longer ride on the weekend. Most I did was 80km, and that went pretty easy but that was all flat along rivers and canals. I now cycle easily at around 22-24km/h on flat roads.

So today I tought, let's train a bit on those hills. I got completely lost along the way and ended up doing some really tough hills, I had to get off my bike. No wonder, I just looked it up: those were hills with an average of 8,2% with a max of 13% LOL! I did one hill of 4,4% with even some cobblestones at the end, that was hard but I stayed on my bike, cycling around 10km/h.

Ended up doing 71km today in around 4h, including those hills! Towards the end, my back hurt more then my legs, wrong position on the bike?

So all in all, I think I nearly ready for the Argus, except having to wait another 7 months (and keeping it up during the winter months)

lookig forward to it!!! :clap:

Many people here would love to go for some rides around Belgium on the cobbles!! Good luck with training and keep it up.

You can probably rent a bike similar to your usual one from Woodstock Cycleworks - Nils deals in older bikes and commuter models more than "bum higher than your head" models. The hills - well, it's not as flat as Holland, but neither as steep as the Tour de France.