sluiper

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World Endurance Africa Holdings Pty Ltd is proud to announce the second IRONMAN 70.3 race coming to South Africa on Sunday, 2 August 2015 – the Standard Bank IRONMAN 70.3 Durban.

Set in one of the new Seven Wonder Cities of the world, athletes will be welcomed into Durban’s Golden Mile with sun-kissed beaches, a warm subtropical climate and an unrivalled city pulse. 

Join us for what promises to be an unforgettable race in the heart of the paradise city!

Wife gave me the go ahead.

I think I can catch up, after I party stopped training after my wife was diagnosed with cancer.

And besides,  Im not an East London fan.

This is great news.

P.s. Great job to all those that finished. (And to those that DNFed. To be on the starting line is privilege enough. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.)

Agree with Pista: it is a peculiar date. I'm certainly not going to be in peak/race condition in August. That's the heart of winter in the Western Cape and I shall then only be interested in big fires and lots of red wine.

70.3 Durban is the 2nd August 2015

does that mean no east london jan 2016, or now two events per year?

I think this could kill the East London event, even though the timing in Jan is great for those training for the big guy in April, there are enough half events such as Jailbreak,  Midlands and Trirock -Cradle for a warmup.

I love the event in EL but not the venue and each year the town seems to go back a decade into decline. 

I plan to toe the line in KZN, its a great motivator to train through winter.

does that mean no east london jan 2016, or now two events per year?

I think this could kill the East London event, even though the timing in Jan is great for those training for the big guy in April, there are enough half events such as Jailbreak,  Midlands and Trirock -Cradle for a warmup.

I love the event in EL but not the venue and each year the town seems to go back a decade into decline. 

I plan to toe the line in KZN, its a great motivator to train through winter.

I couldnt agree more.

I wouldnt be surprised to see if this isnt a strategy to exit East London.

And think about it like this. East London is in the ass end of the world. Imagine the logistics and expenses just for this non major city.

And whats awesome is as well, it will take virtually the same amount of time, to get up there via car (coming from Cape Town that is).

And you have a better airport.

All in all, this is a win for the participants but more important their families and supporters.

P.s. Least we can swim safely behind the Shark nets.

Apart from killing the East London event, this could spell the end for TriRock Durban as well. I did TriRock and it was a spectacular course but the organization of the event leaves much to be desired. Whereas the Ironman event is organized very well.

BTW see that the 2016 entries are open....R2300.... crazy!

East London is my hometown and it saddens me to see all the negative comments above. Unfortunately though they are true. The city has been on a steady decline for ages now and looks worse every time I go back. Its a pity  that the powers that be just don't see it.

I love racing the 70.3 there and it will be a real pity if that event eventually falls away. Its such a challenging course that throws everything at you. As far as I understand, Durban will be a fast flat course but I could be under correction here.

Maybe by some miracle Slummies will have a turn around and become the pretty little city like it used to be but doubt that will ever happen.

East London is my hometown and it saddens me to see all the negative comments above. Unfortunately though they are true. The city has been on a steady decline for ages now and looks worse every time I go back. Its a pity that the powers that be just don't see it.

I love racing the 70.3 there and it will be a real pity if that event eventually falls away. Its such a challenging course that throws everything at you. As far as I understand, Durban will be a fast flat course but I could be under correction here.

Maybe by some miracle Slummies will have a turn around and become the pretty little city like it used to be but doubt that will ever happen.

And there is no Buccaneers in Durban

EL has probably the most dismal beachfront in the country which is sad because it could be really nice. The area is well know for being a low income area which is very different to the beachfront in other cities. 

I know there is talk of tax incentives for developing the beachfront but I dont see much happening.

I need to do the 70.3 before its gone though so next year it is!

I wouldnt mind doing Durban too, I lived there for a few years and aside from the heat I think it could be a great race.

Archived