Light recommendations

T-Bob

So winter is here and I'm needing a new light. I'm looking at some of the ones for sale on the hub and I know other shops are selling / have specials on as well.

Anyone got any advice / recommendations on who to buy from and what to go for? There is a world of options, lumens, prices etc so any advice would be good.

Don't need something that is like dawn coming but will be using for road, off road and camping / bush so if works as a head lamp that would be killer.

Anyone got / used the L1 From K-Man on the hub?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

flamesuit on:

a light is a light is a light, don't be fooled by lumens and what not.

what is important is a good quality battery that will last more than on season

flamesuit on:

:clap: Yip a candle is also a light !!!!

flamesuit on:

Yoh, brave man...

I agree with the battery statement.

However, a light isn't a light isn't a light.

Lumens aside, beam pattern, light color, build quality, thermal management, size, weight... hey pappie. Daars baie om in ag te neem.

Edited by MaxUmis

I gather that Ryder has a nice compact 800 lumen light. I am also wanting one.

Edited by cjlieben

Yoh, brave man...

I agree with the battery statement.

However, a light isn't a light isn't a light.

Lumens aside, beam pattern, light color, build quality, thermal management, size, weight... hey pappie. Daars baie om in ag te neem.

jy sien, i dont know from all this

when i bought my light the following was considered.

1. price

2. battery

3. functions (low/high/strobe)

4. price

5. dealer reputation in the event of a comeback

You will probably end up with one of the extreme lights, ryder, sportsworld type of lights. In South Africa you will not get better value, as anything with the technology mentioned will be more expensive as well.

I love Extreme Lights Exposure Lights. They are expensive and you will struggle to get it in SA. I've bought it from Evans. It does not have a battery that need fixing to the frame, good quality. My first one is in it's 5th year.

I bought the magic shine type light, but after 1 summer I had to replace the battery, because it needs to be kept charged, and honestly, who remembers to keep a battery charged for 6 months.

But the Exposure lights are expensive, and that is why I say you might just end up with your cheapest option and almost in a way prepare yourself to buy a new light at R550 every season.

Edited by scuzzy

I'm very happy with my Ryder Centauri 1000 Lumen Light, but I have not been using it long enough to comment on how long the battery will survive. It comes with a helmet attachment bracket, and provides more than enough light.

You will probably end up with one of the extreme lights, ryder, sportsworld type of lights. In South Africa you will not get better value, as anything with the technology mentioned will be more expensive as well.

I love Extreme Lights. They are expensive and you will struggle to get it in SA. I've bought it from Evans. It does not have a battery that need fixing to the frame, good quality. My first one is in it's 5th year.

I bought the magic shine type light, but after 1 summer I had to replace the battery, because it needs to be kept charged, and honestly, who remembers to keep a battery charged for 6 months.

But the Exposure lights are expensive, and that is why I say you might just end up with your cheapest option and almost in a way prepare yourself to buy a new light at R550 every season.

I think you are confusing Extreme lights with another product . You can order it from this site and it is one of the cheaper lights around (model depending) . Bought a mid-of-range one for our Transbaviaans last year and this thing gave me light for 7 hours .

I think you are confusing Extreme lights with another product . You can order it from this site and it is one of the cheaper lights around (model depending) . Bought a mid-of-range one for our Transbaviaans last year and this thing gave me light for 7 hours .

Ag stupid me, Exposure Lights!

Personally I went the other way, ordered 4 front lights and 2 rears off aliexpress.com for a total f R1200 including shipping so just vat and duties worst case. I can stomach the loss if they are all bad, but if some are great then I know :) feels better to me than paying a bomb for one light that I might not use too much.

I love Extreme Lights Exposure Lights. They are expensive and you will struggle to get it in SA. I've bought it from Evans. It does not have a battery that need fixing to the frame, good quality. My first one is in it's 5th year.

enlighten me about this?