[Event] MTN National MTB Series #6 Van Gaalen Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

Haha did the 70km monster...but doing the half sunday due to other plans on saturday... do you guys know which route will be followed on the half? Concrete strips? Daggapad pomphuis and oom piet? Cant seem to open the advendurance website today to have a look at the maps... good luck to all of you pack your teqn skills and leave any fear of downhills at home!!!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year my descent started with an elderly gentlemen going over his handlebars and cracking a few ribs in front of me... after that i had one foot off the pedals....

Also saw a guy who's common sense kicked in right at the top, but his bike had other ideas. They parted ways with rider hitting the deck hard, unsettling some embrio mountains and klippertjies.......bike chose the shortest route down, jumping from rock to rock, tree to tree, like a young bronco.

Rider and bike was reunited at the bottom again.......after a long while........both shaken up a bit, some scratches here and there and also missing some equipment. Rest of the race was semi ICU stuff.

So thinking about doing this race!

Did the Joberg2c and the Sani2c a month ago and have only ridden three times on the indoor trainer since then in the past two weeks.

Wondering if I will manage the marathon on Saturday?

Any thoughts out there?

Sat 8am 9 degrees

Sat 14:00 19 degrees

Sun 8am 9 degrees

Sun 14:00 21 degrees

HAH! Rode there on sunday this last weekend. Started at 7am along the river, it was -5.6 degrees. hands were burning like the clappers.

Did the Joberg2c and the Sani2c a month ago and have only ridden three times on the indoor trainer since then in the past two weeks.

Any thoughts out there?

Sani2c is a velvet highway, over-manicured, and stripped.

VG is proper. that sattelite decent.... just sucks.

It seems that aweful unrideable donga is out (after greek church) is that correct?

Greek Church is quite picturesque, enjoy riding up there.

Any thoughts out there?

Fight the urge to go balls to the wall at the start of the race.....pace yourself within comfortable limits. After 40-45km you can go for it. You won't regret it.

Hope it goes well. Good luck

Sani2c is a velvet highway, over-manicured, and stripped.

VG is proper. that sattelite decent.... just sucks.

It seems that aweful unrideable donga is out (after greek church) is that correct?

Greek Church is quite picturesque, enjoy riding up there.

The Ultra turns left after Oom Piet en goes to the Greek Church & Jou Bliksem and returns by the donga floating bridge and river bends north.

The Marathon turn right after Oom Piet and does Savannah Hills, and the complete River bends south.

Any thoughts out there?

Stop thinking about it. Just enter!

Entered! Looking forward to some good trails! Always fun at van gaalens! And it will get me out of bed as well!

Well done, that's the spirit, enjoy it!

Thomas, I am not planning a 7 hour ride but after everything I am reading on this forum I don't know how well this will go! I have put in almost 250 km's of training over the past 2 weeks but only done about 2,500m of climbing. Added to the fact that I have never done 75km on a mtb before so it will be interesting to see how things turn out on the day.