Garmin 500 spiking Heartrate

WayneO

I have had an issue this last weekend where my Garmin 800 will not display calories. I have updated the firmware (re-burned it actually) so I am hoping that will solve it. It displays HR fine.

However i do notice that if the strap is slightly out of position then HR spikes a lot. So I always check the position of the HR strap.

Has anyone had the issue where the calories are not being displayed at all?

This often happens if you use water on the belt contact points.

Use conductive gel, not water, on the contact points ~ it will more than likely sort out the problem.

Di you wear lose clothing/jacket? Mine does it with speed and a lose top with the flapping triggering a higher reading.

Edit: lose loose smoose...

Edited by andydude

Keep your chest strap clean. Wipe after every ride. Also, clear the memory on your Garmin. When you see your HR spike, hold your shirt against your chest, specially in windy conditions. The strap picks up your shirt's vibrations and think it's your HR.

The service centre is at Navworld in Centurion. I also had issues and they replaced my HR unit

Its your top.... i have the exact same issue. When I ride kyalami and go down the mineshaft, it shoots up as the speed and wind increases. i found it to be a loose fitting top that caused it.

I haven't read all the replies so please excuse me if this is a repeat. I had the same problem with the Garmin 500. I eventually figured out it was the zipper from my jersey rubbing on the unit that caused the problem. Some zips cause the problem and others don't. I eventually just rode in my jerseys that didn't cause the interference. I now have the 510 and don't have the problem anymore. Wetting the strap well did improve the problem as well.

Di you wear lose clothing/jacket? Mine does it with speed and a lose top with the flapping triggering a higher reading.

Edit: lose loose smoose...

Jip check your loose shirts!!!!

I also had the same issue with my 510.

Strangely it would only happen when I would start riding.

So I just thought it was cause I was super excited :clap: cause it would eventually go down.

It seems to be fine now though :)

Ok, took 800 out for test

Tightened the stap and cleaned and wet before ride, MTB ride so only a couple of opportunities for spikes.

It definitely spiked because I don't think I got to 243 bpm

Previously didn't have zipper

Changed to summer top with zipper, so all the SBR rides had no zipper so that takes that out

I was on the spruit and when I went under through the power lines there was no interference

Its a Garmin HRM 1G so i don't think it will fit on my polar strap, what does another Garmin cost.

D

Ok, took 800 out for test

Tightened the stap and cleaned and wet before ride, MTB ride so only a couple of opportunities for spikes.

It definitely spiked because I don't think I got to 243 bpm

Previously didn't have zipper

Changed to summer top with zipper, so all the SBR rides had no zipper so that takes that out

I was on the spruit and when I went under through the power lines there was no interference

Its a Garmin HRM 1G so i don't think it will fit on my polar strap, what does another Garmin cost.

D

Was the spike correlated with going downhill with speed? Was your top tight fitting or flapping?