Sram XO crank creek

Sidmouth

I am sure everyone has experienced it at one point, something that creeks.

I believe my non drive side XO crank has a creek, I have changed the BB 3 times, changed pedals and nothing helps.

I am 97KG and when I apply pressure to the non drive side crank at the 9-11 o'clock position it creek and OMG does it irritate me.

I have stripped the crank clean and lubed and re built.

The other thing It could be is that the crank tightens with a 8MM allen key, while I have a long key there is not much torch to be applied,maybe a good thing, how much torch or NM force should be applied, I don't have a torch wrench to test.

Guest Karma

I am sure everyone has experienced it at one point, something that creeks.

I believe my non drive side XO crank has a creek, I have changed the BB 3 times, changed pedals and nothing helps.

I am 97KG and when I apply pressure to the non drive side crank at the 9-11 o'clock position it creek and OMG does it irritate me.

I have stripped the crank clean and lubed and re built.

The other thing It could be is that the crank tightens with a 8MM allen key, while I have a long key there is not much torch to be applied,maybe a good thing, how much torch or NM force should be applied, I don't have a torch wrench to test.

Just out of curiosity, what frame is it?

My experience, also non-drive side: added some thread tape to the BB cup and the creaking stopped.

If its not the chainring bolts check the suspension bearings.....my crank/bb sounded like it was creaking for months....stripped many times...no results.....it was in fact the susp bearings but it really sounded like it came from the cranks

I'm having the exact same problem, bike shop keeps sayings its the bb but to no prevail. Grego, when you refer to suspension bearings, i'm assuming this is only for dual sus bikes?

I have tried all of the above, one trick is to pedal off the saddle this eliminates saddle and a few often variables, the Frame is Spec Alloy Epic, Bit I am almost 100% sure that it is the left crack where it connects to the spindle of the drive side crank, After I lube that part and re assemble it is better for a few day, I wonder If I have over tightened or even under tightened.

see if you can get hold of another crank to try, if the creaking is still there is the frame if not its the crank.

dont know how to solve your issue but at least you can narrow it down a bit.

Yip

opened the SPD pedal lube the bearings and same noise.

borrowing another crank is a good, idea, you are going to know straight away., nice one Daddy.

in the interim anyone know the pressure you should apply to the Sram non drive side bolt to tighten?

Yip opened the SPD pedal lube the bearings and same noise. borrowing another crank is a good, idea, you are going to know straight away., nice one Daddy. in the interim anyone know the pressure you should apply to the Sram non drive side bolt to tighten?

not sure of the carbon cranks but alu should be around 18-20nm, dont know SRAM but shimano has 2 opposing bolts that need to be tightened asynchronously until the desired torque is reached.

without a torque wrench its going to be difficult to gauge, i used to use feel to say its tight( basically tightened till i couldn't any more then came back about a quarter to half a turn)

The Shimano and Sram tightening is chalk and cheese very different, the Sram has a 8mm bolt that basically pulls it onto the crank, I honestly think the Shimano concept is a better one.

The Cranks are the XO carbon cranks but the bolts and bolt housings are alu I think, I just worry I over tightening can damage the crank arm

The Shimano and Sram tightening is chalk and cheese very different, the Sram has a 8mm bolt that basically pulls it onto the crank, I honestly think the Shimano concept is a better one. The Cranks are the XO carbon cranks but the bolts and bolt housings are alu I think, I just worry I over tightening can damage the crank arm
\

yeah as i said, dont know how to solve your issue just venturing suggestions from my pool of knowledge in-case something helps.

after some internet searching i realised my post was pretty much useless( sorry)

Edited by DaddyG

Take your wheels off and lube the skewers. Ie. take the skewers right out and rub some lube on the skewer shafts.

Edited by Bat-ass

Have thru axle so this ticked that one.

interesting I go for a ride in the rain this morning and after 20 minutes the creek stops?

Check your freebody I also thought my crank was the issue but it ended up being the freebody