Rant - Planet-X - Non-delivery and bad service

Christhonie

In a modern world where we shop from all over the globe we sometimes face different problems than shopping from the LBS. My recent online purchase of a bike from Planet-X's online store in the UK is one good example; when the goods go missing and you have to deal with a support team hiding behind an email system; things can become frustrating.

My email is merely an example of what can go wrong and to also single out a vendor who I do not recommend you ever use based on personal experience.

Planet-X have great products that are priced competitively, but you need to offset that against a disorganized company with really bad service.

I placed an order 68 days ago; a bike, some wheels and odds-and-ends. The wheels have arrived, but the rest is still missing with no end in sight.

• The support team takes at least 24 hours to respond to your emails.
  • The support team commits to follow up, but does not respond, repeatedly!
  • Support tickets remain unanswered for 18 days and when you follow up they have closed it, even though the next action is a follow up from them.
  • They told me; "...the issue you have had with the couriers unfortunately it is beyond our control once it leaves us." I have no contract with the courier, I have no recourse with them, nor did I even have a say in who they should use, although I had to pay quite a bit for the shipping.
  • One moment they agree the items are missing, the next moment they confuse it with a separate order and tell me the goods have been deliverd.
  • They fail to escalate issues, even when requested to do so.
  • An email to Bary Dunn, the COO, remains unanswered.
  • The issue was forwarded to David Hanney, the CEO, who have not taken any action yet.

I am well aware that they are a small company, that they have good products and I cam imagine that some of you are quite happy with their service. I can unfortunately not relate to such an experience; mine being one from hell.

This is merely a warning to potential buyers when ordering online or speficially when dealing with Planet-X; please take this into consideration when buying from them - vote with your wallets. Support the LBS.

Chris

Why are you not ranting about the courier but rather pick on the online shop?

Sounds like your goods were shipped and have now gone missing.

What does the tracking show for current location?

Have to agree with pista, you do not specify how the goods were shipped, Royal mail/SAPO or courier DHL and the like.

You will also have tracking numbers to take up with the various shipping method/company.

If a bike, did you take insurance on shipping?

You can track your items through the SAPO track and trace, just put in your international tracking number and will give you the local tracking number and where the items are.

If courier like DHL then take the tracking number up with them.

All my dealings with On One/Planet X, items have come by courier and direct to my door

It's worth a Skype call.

Costs you very little and voice to voice, or even better face to face, is priceless.

Edited by heyyou

Thought the OP clearly stated his case, then gets flamed for it with much assumption.

Wether the failure is with the courier or not is irrelevant.

The onus is on PlanetX to follow up with the couriers, who from the reading post, they PlanetX chose who to use, not the OP.

They have not been following up properly for 18 days. And after numerous correspondence have been fobbing off the OP.

I'd also strip my moer, justifiably so, and have done before with online orders previously. Local and international.

Thought the OP clearly stated his case, then gets flamed for it with much assumption.

The onus is on PlanetX to follow up with the couriers, who from the reading post, they PlanetX chose who to use, not the OP.

They have not been following up properly for 18 days. And after numerous correspondence have been fobbing off the OP.

I'd also strip my moer, justifiably so, and have done before with online orders previously. Local and international.

sense you speak. (said in yoda voice)

Snap

Planet X, as an online entity is Diabolical.

My experience has been beyond painful with them, so I fully understand the OP's message and what he is going through.

The ONLY way to resolve your issue, is to buy some Skype credit and call them personally. Be prepared to make a 30 minute call, whilst they two and fro, checking who hasnt done what.

Be prepared to call them several times too, as they do not follow up, you have to.

we ordered 2 hardtail frames in Sept last year, one was fine, the other had factory damage (some cluts had dropped it on its head tube and the headset cup was dented and carbon cracked.) then followed a lengthy email correspondence for a warrenty claim on something that hadnt even been used. after 3 months a replacement fram arrived with no drop outs, so 4 more weeks of waiting.

The bike was built up, rode on two occasions, and discovered a crack in the seat tube. Warrenty claim number 2, email train of note followed - with very little response. A new frame was sent (had to beg for a tracking number), it never arrived. When queried telephonically, the address they had put on package was Zurich in Switzerland ZA (go figure, must be somewhere in Limpopo), and they couldnt track the "replacement" frame.

A new frame was sent (different colour as the original was out of stock), it arrived, additional vat was paid for the third time, as they "forgot" to label it as a warranty replacement - so naturally our customs geniuses just follow protocol.

Planet X uses TNT POST (not express) meaning your box goes via donkey through Ethiopia to get to south africa. TNT Post just sucks.

A total mess. Use the phone, its the only way to get anywhere with this bunch. there after stick with Evans Cycles or CRC.

Planet X and On*One - Nice products, crap service, crap communication, crap management, crap... well just crap.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Have to agree with pista, you do not specify how the goods were shipped, Royal mail/SAPO or courier DHL and the like.

You will also have tracking numbers to take up with the various shipping method/company.

If a bike, did you take insurance on shipping?

You can track your items through the SAPO track and trace, just put in your international tracking number and will give you the local tracking number and where the items are.

If courier like DHL then take the tracking number up with them.

All my dealings with On One/Planet X, items have come by courier and direct to my door

Lucky you. Unfortunately on some items shipping options do not exist. Your experiences are not shared by many others.

Edited by Li Mu Bai