Chainring recommendations

BarHugger

Momsen AL829 comes out standard with a Sram XO Carbon 39/26 crank and chainring combination (2x10). The big chainring however is starting to show excessive wear and tear. It is now at such a level that the moment extra power is applied (as in hill climbs or sprinting) the chain will climb off onto granny (big spin but going nowhere).

To the experts, please recommend a suitable replacement chainring that is a bit more hardy. I am even considering maybe going bigger (42-44).....maybe someting like a red anodized Race Face narrow-wide.

Help asb die ou ballie........

I think the largest RF NW ring you can get is 38t. Also the NW is designed to be run in a 1x9, 1x10 or 1x11 configuration.

It sounds like you want to keep the 2x10 setup which eliminates all the narrow/wide options AFAIK.

The Race Face NW chainring is purely for 1X setups thus it has no pick-ups (?) that allow you to change from small to big chainring.

Not knowing if there is (I'd assume that there is) a difference in material across the Sram range but maybe a X9 or X7 chainring might be a little more hardy. Also, the FD if similar to the X9 only has a 15T range between the big and small chainring. So with the 26T you'd only be able to go up to a max of a 41T, if that even exists. Therefore you'd need to buy a 28T small chainring to accommodate a 42T chainring.

I think the largest RF NW ring you can get is 38t. Also the NW is designed to be run in a 1x9, 1x10 or 1x11 configuration.

It sounds like you want to keep the 2x10 setup which eliminates all the narrow/wide options AFAIK.

The Hub......some very clever people. Thanks for the info. Mentioned the red Race Face for a bit of bling......

Jip, want to keep the 2x10, but want something a bit more tougher.

The Race Face NW chainring is purely for 1X setups thus it has no pick-ups (?) that allow you to change from small to big chainring.

Not knowing if there is (I'd assume that there is) a difference in material across the Sram range but maybe a X9 or X7 chainring might be a little more hardy. Also, the FD if similar to the X9 only has a 15T range between the big and small chainring. So with the 26T you'd only be able to go up to a max of a 41T, if that even exists. Therefore you'd need to buy a 28T small chainring to accommodate a 42T chainring.

Thanks....I am learning.

Anyone using these......feedback will be appreciated:

Race Face Turbine 2x10 Chainring Set 80/120 BCD (28/40T)

post-41755-0-34876400-1400739197_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarHugger

Chainrings (and sprockets) don't wear from use, they wear from a worn chain. If you replace your chain before it passes the critical wear point you'll never wear your rings or cassette out.

Chainrings (and sprockets) don't wear from use, they wear from a worn chain. If you replace your chain before it passes the critical wear point you'll never wear your rings or cassette out.

'never' seriaas?

Shifting causes wear, irrespective of the chain condition. As does the chain engaging with the chainring. Add to that some unavoidable real life conditions like water, dust, sand and mud.

How is it that the chain can wear past this critical point but the chainring can walk away without any wear? Even if the chain is a much softer metal, never is a long time ;)

Edited by Nick.

Read JB's tome on chains and you'll see what I'm saying. Shifting ramps will wear eventually, as will sprockets, but you'd be well surprised at how long the actual cogs last if you look after them properly.

You're right though, never is a long time. But compared to replacing an entire drivetrain every 2000km, it's pretty close.

Read JB's tome on chains and you'll see what I'm saying. Shifting ramps will wear eventually, as will sprockets, but you'd be well surprised at how long the actual cogs last if you look after them properly.

You're right though, never is a long time. But compared to replacing an entire drivetrain every 2000km, it's pretty close.

Have replaced the chain already three times in a matter of approximately 8 months.......two hollow pin chains that gave up during events at Van Gaalens and Magoebas. Now using entry level "though as nails" chain.....no problems with breaking, but most probably eating up my chainring for breakfast :whistling: (although I do use the gears a lot......all 20 of them :blush: :blush: )

Guest Smimby

Momsen AL829 comes out standard with a Sram XO Carbon 39/26 crank and chainring combination (2x10). The big chainring however is starting to show excessive wear and tear. It is now at such a level that the moment extra power is applied (as in hill climbs or sprinting) the chain will climb off onto granny (big spin but going nowhere).

To the experts, please recommend a suitable replacement chainring that is a bit more hardy. I am even considering maybe going bigger (42-44).....maybe someting like a red anodized Race Face narrow-wide.

Help asb die ou ballie........

Fit X7 chainrings, will last a long time

Fit X7 chainrings, will last a long time

Thinking about it......previous steed had X5 and X7 components......sure shifting all the way and no problems.

I agree, I toss a chain after 800km or just before .075 wear, never ever replaced a chainring,and do about 6-8 chains before I have to replace the cassette, I just get those cheap TAYA chains at CWC for R210.00, work as well as Sram 1070 Hollow pins