Erasmuskloof/Waterkloof Glen trail

Jacoboth

The green area in Erasmuskloof / Waterkloof Glen between Lois, Keiskamma and the N1 has recently been fenced off. Gates have been added. Locks have been put on the gates. It is an unbuild area with steep hills, a river running through it lots of protea trees (Suikerbos) and some wildlife - birds and an occasional wild rabbit.

I used to do a lot of trail running in this area. I had to be extremely cautious, because vagrants were living in the area. I have never encountered another trail runner or mountain biker in the area. I know people used to ride their mountain bikes and 4x4s there in the past.

The good news is that since the area has been fenced off the vagrants have left the area. The bad news is that nobody has access to the area at the moment. I still did some trail run training in the area about a week ago. I noticed that someone was laying out a trail or mountain bike route. There was red bunting on a new trail that was being cut out in the area.

I would really like to know what the intention is with the new trail. It can either be for recreational trail running/MTBing or a race organizer is preparing for a trail run/MTB race in the near future.

Does anyone have more information about this? Maybe a contact number of someone that does have access to the gates?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it also fenced off now along the complex along Keiskamma Strret? I used to ride there quite a lot, was a really steep downhill for the guys who got bored of doing Fort Klapperkop.

As far as I know there won't be a trail, only a 4x4 access jeep road for servicing the storm drain underneath the N1.

There's been talk of a bike park opening there soon, it must be the trails you've come across recently

Saw on Twitter that Phil Buys was talking about a new bike park opening in Pta soon.

Cant confirm that this is it.

How much space is in there? Prob anly about 1/4 of Groenkloof?

Yeah, it not that big, however I guess this will be geared towards the more technically inclined. Could make for a good XC type park

Yeah, they are busy cutting a trail for a new Mtb park. The opening date has not yet been confirmed but their are some guys helping out with the trails that know what they are doing so its bound to be great fun when they are done.

Yeah, they are busy cutting a trail for a new Mtb park. The opening date has not yet been confirmed but their are some guys helping out with the trails that know what they are doing so its bound to be great fun when they are done.

Great - will be not to far from me !!

Well the relief/terrain/slope really allows for some interesting stuff to be done there.

Should for a good play ground.

Plus - Kloof hospital is right next door - wonder if this was the ER`s idea of creating a new revenue stream?

My in-laws stay in Erasmuskloof. I know a few of them petitioned for something to be done about that area and they contacted David Boswell (Groenkloof management), maybe he has something to do with it?

Thanks for all the feedback.

I would love to get a key to the area. At the moment I can't do my trail running. Does anyone has a contact for me? I can maybe try David Boswell from Groenkloof..

Looking forward to some great MTBing and Trail running in that area in the future.

Correct yes, Phil Buys is involved in the setup

Cant think of a better place to build a XCO type of bike park. Will be an awesome training place.

That trails were hard when I rode there with my YZ250. On a MTB it will be torture but boy will it be fun :clap:

I would love to get a key to the area. At the moment I can't do my trail running. Does anyone has a contact for me? I can maybe try David Boswell from Groenkloof..

Looking forward to some great MTBing and Trail running in that area in the future.

Hey Jacoboth,

You can always try Moreleta Kloof Nature Reserve for trail running - just other side of the hill - free entry - 4.7km long loop with shorter options available too. Real trail running. Contact Weight Weenie - he loves trail and is always looking for someone to join him.

That being said - a bike park 2 km from my house would be awesome!

His contact details are somewhere on there:

http://www.tshwane.gov.za/Services/Nature%20Conservation/Pages/Groenkloof-Nature-Reserve.aspx

Hey Jacoboth,

You can always try Moreleta Kloof Nature Reserve for trail running - just other side of the hill - free entry - 4.7km long loop with shorter options available too. Real trail running. Contact Weight Weenie - he loves trail and is always looking for someone to join him.

That being said - a bike park 2 km from my house would be awesome!

I recently started running there, damn hard terrain