Cycling in the Baviaans

For those that might not know,you cannot cycle in the Baviaans from the "Boom" without a back-up vehicle any longer.This is because they have introduced buffalo into that area and are obviously a danger.

It does make me wonder how they will handle the TB with all those cyclists and no back up vehicles.It will also be in the dark for most cyclists.

We had an awesome ride from Kondomer (spelling !) to the boom and back yesterday....just a bit short around 35 km/s but still a good work out.Maybe park at Padlangs next time and leave from there.

For those that might not know,you cannot cycle in the Baviaans from the "Boom" without a back-up vehicle any longer.This is because they have introduced buffalo into that area and are obviously a danger.

It does make me wonder how they will handle the TB with all those cyclists and no back up vehicles.It will also be in the dark for most cyclists.

We had an awesome ride from Kondomer (spelling !) to the boom and back yesterday....just a bit short around 35 km/s but still a good work out.Maybe park at Padlangs next time and leave from there.

If TB isnt hard enough, now they chuck in some buffalo's for good measure?

Maybe some record times will be set this year

This really sucks. I'm going to the EP in October and was hoping to ride Baviaans. I dont think my wife will do a support trip with me.

They have had this rule in place for a long time already. The Buffalo have been at the Rooi Hoek area for many years too. It is Kondomo by the way.

They have had this rule in place for a long time already. The Buffalo have been at the Rooi Hoek area for many years too. It is Kondomo by the way.

Last year one of the locals (biekie onder die prop na al die brandewyn) told us that they saw a leopard earlier that day on their way to their water point ! No too sure but I think they more active than bison's at night ?

Howdee, I did a cycling trip with 3 of my buddies December 2 years ago and rode from PE to Buffelsbaai. We went through the Baviaans Nature Reserve with a back-up vehicle. We stayed at Komdomo on the second night of the trip and then rode through the reserve to 'Bo-Kloof' if my memory serves me correctly. Did 104km with a tad over 2000m ascent and rode 12 hours...it was the most rewarding cycling trip of my life!

Hi there, another option is to park at Padlangs, then take the Elandsrivier turn off and climb to the Telkom tower :thumbup: . From there you take the Grootrivierpoort track in the direction of Willowmore, you are now riding parallel to the Baviaanskloof route and you will see that trail from time to time. Note, there is no backup on this route so plan accordingly, you do have cell phone reception. Really great riding.

Howdee, I did a cycling trip with 3 of my buddies December 2 years ago and rode from PE to Buffelsbaai. We went through the Baviaans Nature Reserve with a back-up vehicle. We stayed at Komdomo on the second night of the trip and then rode through the reserve to 'Bo-Kloof' if my memory serves me correctly. Did 104km with a tad over 2000m ascent and rode 12 hours...it was the most rewarding cycling trip of my life!

Off topic, but camped at Bo-kloof, amazing place hey!!!!

Saw a couple of guys cycling in the reserve on the way back, they had a support vehicle. The driver took turns, switching with a cyclist. So everyone gets their turn to drive the cage.