[Event] Mabalingwe LionMan

WesselvdWalt

It is draught. Will love a draught route :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

a couple draughts and it'll be a very interesting route...

Edited by WesselvdWalt

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Proposed routes have been done.

Recce will commence next week.

Distance are:

70km - 1600m ascent

40km - 600m ascent

20km

10km

The 70km will do Vodacom hill, and return on a mountain we call the Lions Back.

Once routes are approved, we'll go live with profiles etc.

Proposed routes have been done.

Recce will commence next week.

Distance are:

70km - 1600m ascent

40km - 600m ascent

20km

10km

The 70km will do Vodacom hill, and return on a mountain we call the Lions Back.

Once routes are approved, we'll go live with profiles etc.

Wessel, how rideable are these mountains? I.e. just steep or steep and rocky?

If I remember correctly Vodacom hill is quite gnarly towards the top.

Yes Vodacom hill (now MTN strangely enough) is a classic part of the event.

We'll obviously clear and make the route as good as possible. (in 2012 the guys did it twice!)

Vodacom hill is steep in places, and is the steepest of the climbs.

The "Lions back" (only Ultras rode this in 2012) is not as steep and climbs gradually and is jeep track, but there's alot of marbles on this climb which makes it tricky and draining... ( we will open up a single line and clear alot of the loose rocky stuff up) The view here is so worth it! But watch out the downhill gets steeper and steeper with switch backs and will be your last obstacle on the way home. (this will also be clean up for the riders)

"The Lion" (70km route) will be an absolute adventure, and you'll see the best trails in Mabalingwe and be rewarded after each uphill, but it's 3 x harder than the 40km. Be warned it's real mountain biking not just a ride in the bush. Once finished you'll feel like you have conquered "the Lion" and you'll be a Lionman!

"The Lioness" (40km) will be in the lower half of the property, it has over 10km of single track and has mostly drags and no "mal" climbs. Drags up, singletrack flowy stuff down, very enjoyable for everyone.

Booked and Paid, cant wait. What is a drags up? Can someone explain this to me......Thanks!!????????

Booked and Paid, cant wait. What is a drags up? Can someone explain this to me......Thanks!!

"Drags up, singletrack flowy stuff down, very enjoyable for everyone."

Drag - Referred to in cycling as a road which is sloped positively (slight uphill, that is not flat or a real observable climb), where the force that is required to maintain momentum needs to be increased to maintain velocity.

"Drags up, singletrack flowy stuff down, very enjoyable for everyone."

Drag - Referred to in cycling as a road which is sloped positively (slight uphill, that is not flat or a real observable climb), where the force that is required to maintain momentum needs to be increased to maintain velocity.

Or like roadies would say A false flat .

Returned today from Mabalingwe, and I'm happy to say that the event will see PLENTY new single track and purpose built MTB routes fro 2014! This race has really matured over the years, into what mountain bikers really want and enjoy!

Expect routes available early next week!

Always loved the downhill towards the finish on 'Vodacom Hill", I hope you upped the game there Wessel.

I remember in 2012 the guys walking early on Vodacom hill and blocking the route for everyone behind. Hope that changes. Sigh.

Still some accommodation available as well as campsites...

This year it's 99% certain we start at the camp area!