Shimano 1x10 conversion options

BigD

You might need spacers, depending on the brand maybe. Not a big deal but an extra thing to do. I'm referring to the RaceFace 32T, not sure about other 32T designs. Mine is the same SLX as yours, the 2 x 10 one.

We'll see how it goes, just waiting for RaceFace stock actually

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Option 2 is very temting, oneup components ship a 16 tooth with your 40 or 42. Is the jump between 15 and 19 noticeably big if you dont install a 16

?

the jump is huge and incredibly annoying. nothing i do seems to make a difference. need to get that 16 tooth.

the jump is huge and incredibly annoying. nothing i do seems to make a difference. need to get that 16 tooth.

Kalbo has stock. I just ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a 'loose' 16t off of a road cassette (BBB I think), fitted it but the shifting around that gear is not too kosher. Having said that it wasn't that good with the big jump to the 17 anyway.

Just irritating that at a trail like Rietvlei you are searching for a gear all the time using the 17, hoping it will be better. test in half an hour or so then I'll report back  :devil:

Need to sort it out because that is the bike I am taking with me to Ballito next week!

It is definitely better with the 16 although the shifting is still not great with that particular one but I can almost live with it ....

post-271-1435593387,531.jpg

Guest notmyname

Looks like our setups are almost Identical. Are you using an XT shadow rear der?

How did you find it? I know you were concerned that 1x10 wasn't for everyone.

Edited by Small Fry

Looks like our setups are almost Identical. Are you using an XT shadow rear der?

How did you find it? I know you were concerned that 1x10 wasn't for everyone.

I enjoy both that and my Flash that is 1x10, I don't have a clutch on the Bianchi but do on the Flash. Find no difference besides that the bike with clutch MIGHT be a bit less noisy and shifts SLIGHTLY harder.

Very different setups on the 2 .....

Bianchi - 34nw 11-40 650B

Flash - 32nw 11-36 29"

Have other bikes with 2x10 (rotor rings) and 3x10 so as long as I take the right bike I'm always OK :)

My reservation is for someone that only has 1 bike .....

Is there any need to change the length of the chain when going 34T with 11 - 42 ?

SLX derauiler with no clutch

Is there any need to change the length of the chain when going 34T with 11 - 42 ?

Depends on what your chain length is/was.  My last one just before conversion was done by lbs and set to minimum length when 2x10 (38/26 11-36) and my chain length was to short, so i had to change mine

Depends on what your chain length is/was. My last one just before conversion was done by lbs and set to minimum length when 2x10 (38/26 11-36) and my chain length was to short, so i had to change mine

Had the same 2x10 ratios and added 2 links for a 1x10 with 34 front and 11-42 rear

38 + 36 = 74

34 + 42 = 76

So, if using a 34t the chain path in granny is a bit longer than worst case for a standard 2x10

I just did my conversion last week. 34T with 11-42, XT derailleur with clutch. I didnt remove any teeth and went bouncing around Lebanon forest over the weekend - no issues at all. 

The conversion was the best thing I've done on my bike. Love it.

• 1 month later...

Spending quite a bit of time on my Bianchi with the gear extender at Holla trails I found that using the 40 was not so lekker, noisy and just now and then a bit of jumping.

Since coming back I have now moved 1 BB spacer (Shimano) from the drive side to the non drive side to hopefully make the chain line a bit better ... Will go test it at Thaba a bit later today and then give feedback.

Did a conversion on the MTB of my son with a chainring sourced from Kalbo. Normal 34T chainring fitted it on his existing chain (did not remove any links) and normal XT derailleur. He is very impressed and he did three races already without any issues.