Shimano 1x10 conversion options

BigD

I went with 1 and 2

34t Raceface NW up front

11-36t xt at the back

No problem climbing although it did take a few rides to get used to.

1x10 either way is the boss!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went option 1: 32 upfront, 11-36 rear and no problems at all and feel I have enough for what I ride.

So new groupset time, currently powered along the trails by the 2 x 10 XT groupset but loving the 1x look and minimalists that comes with it.

Current predicament:

1 x 10 conversion (11-36T cassette with 32T narrow width chain ring upfront)

or

1 x 10 conversion (11-42T cassette, removing the 17T making space for the 42T adapter with a 34T narrow width chain ring up front)

Option 1 - Cheaper but loses both bottom and top gear

Option 2 - More expensive but maintains both bottom and top gear ratios on a 1 x 10

Thoughts comments... go!

Option 2 is more versatile. Ditch the 15t as well as the 17t and insert a 16t to smooth out the ratio steps in the higher gears

Option 2 is more versatile. Ditch the 15t as well as the 17t and insert a 16t to smooth out the ratio steps in the higher gears

Thanks JXV been running that setup (oneup components) for 9months now, very happy

I went with 1 and 2

34t Raceface NW up front

11-36t xt at the back

No problem climbing although it did take a few rides to get used to.

1x10 either way is the boss!

I'm running the same setup and loving it.

Also run a 1X10. Bought local components though, Rapide and Kalbo. Both good components and great service. Kalbo also offer a 16t as well. 42t at the back makes a huge difference when things get really steep.

at this rate I should pick up a 2x10 conversion for next to nothing in the classifieds :)

Guest notmyname

Did my first ride with 1x10 yday. Why did we ever need 30 or even 20 gears?

Did my first ride with 1x10 yday. Why did we ever need 30 or even 20 gears?

I am still  not convinced it's for everyone and all rides/events ...... maybe I'm just soft though?

What about the spacing on the front chainring with regards to position on the crank arm and BB

Riding a 34T RaceFace on 11-36. Some places make you suffer, like concrete at van gaalens and some of the black route hakahan climbs, but if you're fit and strong this is the cheapest option to go 1 x 10.

I have not used spacers on the chain ring, will have to when I want to go 32T in the front, as the new SLX crank spider will make the chain touch the spider.

Riding a 34T RaceFace on 11-36. Some places make you suffer, like concrete at van gaalens and some of the black route hakahan climbs, but if you're fit and strong this is the cheapest option to go 1 x 10.

I have not used spacers on the chain ring, will have to when I want to go 32T in the front, as the new SLX crank spider will make the chain touch the spider.

I have a 2013 SLX crank, think a 32T will work, or would I need spacers?

Not to get set up for a flaming but would a 40t & 16t work on a 2x10 SLX set up? For really massively steep ramps obviously. 

Not to get set up for a flaming but would a 40t & 16t work on a 2x10 SLX set up? For really massively steep ramps obviously.

You would need the long cage SLX RD (M675). It has 45t capacity, enough for that combo (43t) but is not really designed for a 40t rear cog.

Before trying this, make sure you are using the widest range chainring combo (24-38) because they may also be supplied as a 26-38. If you have a 26 or 28 small chainring it is cheaper to change this to a 24 than to mess with the cassette .

I have a 2013 SLX crank, think a 32T will work, or would I need spacers?

You might need spacers, depending on the brand maybe. Not a big deal but an extra thing to do. I'm referring to the RaceFace 32T, not sure about other 32T designs. Mine is the same SLX as yours, the 2 x 10 one.

Check out this tread for slx discussion and the spacer width they used

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-you-new-style-slx-cranks-preferably-1x-setup

Archived