Indoor trainer vs spinning bike

Sure, if your primary aim is to train with power then I would have to agree. I do most of my indoor training on heart rate, so power isn't as big of an issue.

My spinning bike (second hand) cost less than a basic IDT.

sure and with you on that...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spin bike...

The Giant spin bike can freewheel and I found that to be quite a big benefit. Keep that in mind if you are going that way.

Who sells these, cannot find it on the web

I'd also go with the Indoor trainer option... You get the same bike setup that you have on the road and the a Tacx is quick and easy to use!

For me, I use and IDT with my road bike, I use it at least twice a week during the week to keep a good level of fitness through winter and maybe ride on the weekend.

I generally ride early morning, so set up the bike the night before, and train with the sufferfest videos... no real schlep at all to set up or put away after using.

creme da la creme that one....

If you can afford it bester....this is a rolls royce

Looked at it, very nice, but not in the budget for this year - it's almost what I paid for my bike.

Looked at it, very nice, but not in the budget for this year - it's almost what I paid for my bike.

Sure, and understood....wasn't in my budget either.

I would really urge you to stay away from cheapy spinning bikes, they might look the part on paper, but sitting on one for an hour feels like 50. They are numbingly boring...

In your budget, the cyclops fluid trainer or kurt kunetic road machine would be a great buy...they can be interfaced into other 3rd party applications which makes IDT less boring.

You don't want to buy something and then never use it, eventhough you started with great intentions

How does these things actually work, and what else do you need to view on screen?

You need a computer and speed and cadence sensor and ant+ usb stick...that is all. The beauty of the kurt trainers are that they can very accurately calculate power based on speed and a roll down calibration...they even come with the new inride kurt thingy, which will then transmit power. Remember to train with power, you don't necessarily need it to be 100% spot-on, 95% is good enough, it must just be 5% out the whole time.

I would personally then go for trainneroad with the Kurt Kinetic.

Edited by rouxtjie

Bester we at CW Cycles will have some great deals on Tacx trainers in the nexct few days. Sunday is my birthday and CWC is going to celebrate it with some good deals on many different items which are including some trainers.

Happy Happy!

Who sells these, cannot find it on the web

Sorry - I have no idea as I bought mine secondhand.

rouxtjie ... what is you view on the following - tacx vortex

where will you rank it, value for money?

rouxtjie ... what is you view on the following - tacx vortex

where will you rank it, value for money?

Skip, in that price range you would get better value out of a kurt kinetic road machine....link it up with inride + trainerroad...and boom, you have quite a bit of functionality without blowing up the bank safe.