Indoor trainer vs spinning bike

I would appreciate feedback on the pros and cons of each of these, I need to get something to do indoors!

What is best, a spinning bike, or an indoor trainer (or maybe a rowing machine)?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would appreciate feedback on the pros and cons of each of these, I need to get something to do indoors!

What is best, a spinning bike, or an indoor trainer (or maybe a rowing machine)?

Depends on your needs and how you train?

Assuming you are a cyclist I would say Indoor Trainer. But you have to get a proper one. Spinning is something you should do in the gym with other people and loud music and someone telling you what to do.

How much money can you splash out? Rouxtjie will gladly point you in the right direction once he has learned your budget.

I have tried both and prefer a bike on a good indoor trainer. Your set up can be the same as when you ride outdoors, which I found difficult to achieve on the indoor trainer I was using. I used a second rear wheel with cheaper cassette and road tyre on my MTB. Worked well, although I did wear out my chain and chainring in a few months.

Spin bike...

I used to train indoors on a Tacx trainer, but found the effort of setting it up etc. was too much of a mission.

Then I got myself a spinning bike which I can easily move to the TV when I want to train. Sold the Tacx after a while as I never used it again. The ease of the spin bike enables you to start a session at very odd and limited times since you can get going so quickly. I often use it after 22:00 at night. Together with a movie or series for keeping my mind occupied I'm getting some extra base miles in. Intervals is also quite effective on the spin bike, but it just isn't the real deal.

The Giant spin bike can freewheel and I found that to be quite a big benefit. Keep that in mind if you are going that way.

I have tried both and prefer a bike on a good indoor trainer. Your set up can be the same as when you ride outdoors, which I found difficult to achieve on the indoor trainer I was using. I used a second rear wheel with cheaper cassette and road tyre on my MTB. Worked well, although I did wear out my chain and chainring in a few months.

Agreed - setup could be problematic. I could never get 100% comfortable on my previous "cheap" spin bike. The current one is much better as it has better ranges.

It really depends a lot on your budget. I was lucky enough to have an old road bike that found a permanent residence in the trainer so I have no hassles with setup. It's also capable of varying the resistance on different routes as I cycle and this makes it a lot less boring. But this is a fairly expensive option. I do feel, however, that it was worth every cent. Personally, I could never get used to the flywheel on the spinning bike and the setup never felt the same as on the normal bike (for me).

For me:

First prize, indoor trainer with dedicated bike. Disadvantage is the cost and space.

Second prize, indoor trainer with bike and dedicated wheel. Disadvantage is the schlep changing wheels and mounting the bike all the time. Becomes an excuse when the motivation is low. Advantage is that there is only one bike taking up space.

Third prize, spinning bike. They are not bad, but I find it more realistic to sit on an actual bike. The fixie pedals never bothered me.

Rowing machine. These are great full body workouts. People almost ALWAYS have terrible technique, and don't get the benefit from them, and risk injury. They are also painfully boring (even more so than an indoor trainer). They are also quite pricey and take up a lot of room. I would avoid unless you a) have a massive home gym with lots of equipment, or b) are a serious rower. I have spent a few too many hours of my life on these.

Spin bike...

I used to train indoors on a Tacx trainer, but found the effort of setting it up etc. was too much of a mission.

Then I got myself a spinning bike which I can easily move to the TV when I want to train. Sold the Tacx after a while as I never used it again. The ease of the spin bike enables you to start a session at very odd and limited times since you can get going so quickly. I often use it after 22:00 at night. Together with a movie or series for keeping my mind occupied I'm getting some extra base miles in. Intervals is also quite effective on the spin bike, but it just isn't the real deal.

The Giant spin bike can freewheel and I found that to be quite a big benefit. Keep that in mind if you are going that way.

I also prefer the spin bike. Converted mine from fixed to freewheel with a cheap BMX freewheel. Also find that the indoor trainers wear out shafts and bearings quickly. Another thing in favour of the Giant is that the seat and bar height adjustments are continuous which makes for more accurate set up.

Get yourself one of these.......

post-41755-0-70758700-1401276861_thumb.jpg

Very good for some proper power training.

Just replace saddle and pedals.

Spin bike...

Do you have problem falling asleep after doing a late session on the IDT?

Thanks for all the responses.

I need something that I can get on even when I have only 30min available, especially in winter. I'm concerned that the setting up of the indoor trainer will become schlep, and I dont want to buy a 2nd bike. I can however use my wife's bike for this, but I'm on a large frame and hers is a small. How long does it take to set up an indoor trainer?

I am leaning slightly more towards a spin bike as it is there and ready for use all the time, but not sure what to look for when buying one of these. What does a relatively decent one cost?

Do you have problem falling asleep after doing a late session on the IDT?

Not at all, but bear in mind that after I stop I usually have a snack and then hit the shower. By the time I go to bed everything is wound down. If anything - I sleep better.

Thanks for all the responses.

I need something that I can get on even when I have only 30min available, especially in winter. I'm concerned that the setting up of the indoor trainer will become schlep, and I dont want to buy a 2nd bike. I can however use my wife's bike for this, but I'm on a large frame and hers is a small. How long does it take to set up an indoor trainer?

I am leaning slightly more towards a spin bike as it is there and ready for use all the time, but not sure what to look for when buying one of these. What does a relatively decent one cost?

They start dirt cheap and goes up to ridiculous. The cheap ones will still serve the purpose, but I would recommend one that does not have the seat and handlebar posts at a square angle (flat side front/back/sides). When these are angled at 45° it usually secures with a more stable mechanism. As mentioned in a previous post the freewheeling is nice. Even crucial with small children in the house. They will end up trying to conquer the bike, but when the foot comes off the pedal the flywheel momentum comes back to bite them badly. Pedals and seat you can sort out if required.

You can save substantially by buying second hand. Some people buy them with all the best intentions. These things ends up being a white elephant so easily. Those are usually the ones that is really "hardly used".

Something else to keep in mind - a spinning bike does take up a lot of space. Make sure you can live with that - else go for a normal trainer that fits under the bed.