Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 10/30/2023 at 11:10 AM, Andymann said:

Thanks for all the info!  I haven't see the bike physically yet, but there are a few things I have spotted off the pics - the tailpiece is definitely not right - something odd going on there because there is that gap at the back of the seat.  From what I can see from online pics, the rear mudguard and light on a V50 look to be very similar to what was fitted to my 850 LM3 so I'm guessing those will need to be found.  I also see the light switches are from a Yamaha.  I remember the side stand on my LM3 was very sketchy - what I did was I took it off and then filed the stop on the frame slightly so the stand went past the 180deg mark - that helped a bit, but if I had a choice I would always use the center stand.  Finally the one side cover has been modified - apparently it's cracked and the guy repaired it with a piece of Aluminum.  I'll need to source a side cover too I guess.

As far as I know, the bike was brought in from Italy to SA by an Italian who then sold it here.  It's never been registers on the NATIS system so we have a small issue there - but luckily not as bad as something which has been archived on NATIS.  That's a nightmare.  I'll have a close look for you so see if there is overspray, but from what I understand, that red is the original colour.

I'll check on the ignition for you.

I have a bike like this but brought over from Canada and never registered here so very interested to see how you can get this sorted.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

It depends if the Model was originally introduced into NATIS - getting a model code loaded is very difficult but just adding a bike to an existing code is a little easier.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

What say you okes about the new D 698 engine and the motard it comes in?https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/hypermotard/hypermotard-698-mono

I would have one if I won the lotto. Think these are perfect for our roads and plod. But it’s going to be expensive I reckon. That will put ppl off. 

but it throws the gauntlet to the KTM/husky 690/701 models. This motor will be used in many derivatives for Ducati. 

30 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

I would have one if I won the lotto. Think these are perfect for our roads and plod. But it’s going to be expensive I reckon. That will put ppl off. 

but it throws the gauntlet to the KTM/husky 690/701 models. This motor will be used in many derivatives for Ducati. 

Yes it will be over R200k. Perfect traffic commuter and mountain pass bike. 

light weight Desert X option

If you add some of their bling things you end up just short of 400K

image.png.872f4e2373ee5b0bac9fc54ffb27c501.png

I have a trip (un)planned for this coming weekend. 

I have a destination, with accommodation for two nights in Hilton. And I have someone showing me some routes in the area for Saturday.

Friday and Sunday's route is a general direction, with as much dirt as possible (conditions depending.) 

I have tried planning last weekend, but I find basecamp with the maps loaded on my GPS to be clunky and not intuitive.

Anyhoo, I have nervous excitement about not having a route, and perhaps this is a good way of doing it.

Now for the hours to tick by frustratingly slow.

1 hour ago, RocknRolla said:

I have a trip (un)planned for this coming weekend. 

I have a destination, with accommodation for two nights in Hilton. And I have someone showing me some routes in the area for Saturday.

Friday and Sunday's route is a general direction, with as much dirt as possible (conditions depending.) 

I have tried planning last weekend, but I find basecamp with the maps loaded on my GPS to be clunky and not intuitive.

Anyhoo, I have nervous excitement about not having a route, and perhaps this is a good way of doing it.

Now for the hours to tick by frustratingly slow.

Take Pitcha's, and lots of them please.